Sign in to follow this  
Stuart1

My take on Dake

Can Dake be cocky at times? Sure, I think most high level wrestlers can come off cocky at times.

To quote a Kid Rock song:

"They say I'm cocky, and I say What?

It ain't braggin' m*****f***** if ya back it up"

I think I am going to enjoy watching the Cornell / Dake fans who have a pretty strong track record of using Dake's close wins over Taylor to state how superior Dake is to Taylor ("he was never close to losing") now take the completely opposite point of view with regards to Dake and Burroughs.

Dake does have five straight wins against Taylor. Taylor is a very talented wrestler and is always capable of winning. (Although the final score in the NCAA final should have been 5-2).

Speaking of Taylor, in 2012 he got beat by Howe badly. This time out he teched him. As to Dake, he lost to Marable, then beat him twice. He lost to Paulson then beat him soundly. He lost a very close match against Howe but beat him here. He got teched by Burroughs in the first match and then legitimately pushed him the second match.

Dake may never beat Burroughs, who is the world and Olympic champion after all. But as he gets more familiar with the style and physically matures it's not unreasonable to project Dake giving Burroughs a tough challenge in the future. But who can tell.

I've a discussion about Dake a few times with my wrestling friends regarding how he presents himself in interviews.

Everyone can agree that Dake is a tremendous wrestler that has some amazing accomplishments. No doubt his drive will lead him to some success on the international stage. Personally I think a lot of these discussions regarding who will be the guy at 2016, how long X wrestler will surpass Y wrestler etc- is a bit silly in my opinion. There are so many factors that come into play here.

Injuries alone make this stuff hard to predict. Of Howe, Taylor, Dake and JB- 2/4 have had potentially career ending/major setback injuries. IE Howe and the torn hamstring, JB and the torn ACL.

Long term predictions when it comes to wrestling are almost never accurate.

As far as Dake- there are times when he comes off as a class act. There are also times when he comes off like a douche fratboy. A lot of times I'll listen to him interview and am impressed with how he presents himself. On occasion, his confidence comes off as arrogance. I'm hoping that he continues to mature and we see less of this fratboy cocky mentality. He is certainly capable of being a class act- and is so in most of the interviews. This is obviously more of a maturity thing then anything. I honestly think Dake is a pretty class act when he's not letting the guys from flo prod him into saying stupid crap.

I think you are a complete idiot if you defend those moments where he is coming off as cocky. "OH he has accomplished X, everyone at that level is cocky". You are an idiot. Yes. A complete idiot. I've never once seen a John Smith interview where he comes off as Cocky. I've never once seen a Cael interview where he has come off as cocky. Confident- yes. Cocky, no. I'm not saying trash Dake or his accomplishments. I'm just saying it's not unreasonable to expect that the wrestler who is going to potentially represent your country to have humility and grace.

Just gonna point out again that Dake wrestled three tough matches prior to his bout with JB.

That just seems like such an advantage for Burroughs. How come they couldn't wait one day to do the finals?

Still, really enjoyed the matches as it is. Looking forward to watching these guys continue to wrestle over the next few years. Any chance they will meet up at an open tournament down the rode?

Also, I have no problem with Dake's confidence. Guy said he's gonna win. I'd be worried if he didn't say that.

Just gonna point out again that Dake wrestled three tough matches prior to his bout with JB.

That just seems like such an advantage for Burroughs. How come they couldn't wait one day to do the finals?

Still, really enjoyed the matches as it is. Looking forward to watching these guys continue to wrestle over the next few years. Any chance they will meet up at an open tournament down the rode?

Also, I have no problem with Dake's confidence. Guy said he's gonna win. I'd be worried if he didn't say that.

Apparently not enough of that he could push JB to OT in a match after being teched.

At least Dake had some rest. Tsargush wrestled a couple of tougher matches at Olympics prior to Burroughs and no rest.

dude i watched the matches, right now JB is just better, at the international level it's all about technique , Dake had some nice moves off of scrambles, especially the toss. But that's not the international game at all. JB's shots when completed were quick strong and efficient, JB simply scored when he wanted and needed.

It had nothing to do with freshness. Dake could have went to the Open and beat Burroughs if he wanted to have the rest. As it stands right now JB is better and it isn't as close as people think. OT lasted all of 5 seconds that's how quickly JB took down Dake when it mattered.

At least Dake had some rest. Tsargush wrestled a couple of tougher matches at Olympics prior to Burroughs and no rest.

Speaking of rest are you still losing sleep over that travesty of a loss for Russia? :lol:

To more seriously address the issue, several of these top wrestlers have said that they vastly prefer going through the Challenge Tournament. No matter how warmed up you are, nothing quite compares with the preparation of competition. In this particular case though Dake had an 11 minute match, so a little extraneous.

Acadia.

Burroughs is a beast. Beat Dake soundly in both matches -- though the second was definitely more exciting.

I'm blown away by how fast Burroughs is. He is so explosive that he can counter Dake's unnatural defense with pure speed. We've never seen that before, and those matches were awesome to watch.

But I still think wrestling 3 tough matches and then going against Burroughs is an uphill battle, to say the least. Being a half step slower against Burroughs can't be helpful.

I'm looking forward to Dake and JB meeting up in an open tournament down the road, where both are working their way through the brackets.

Would love to see them wrestle in that setting.

Would love to see them wrestle again period!

Acadia.

Burroughs is a beast. Beat Dake soundly in both matches -- though the second was definitely more exciting.

I'm blown away by how fast Burroughs is. He is so explosive that he can counter Dake's unnatural defense with pure speed. We've never seen that before, and those matches were awesome to watch.

But I still think wrestling 3 tough matches and then going against Burroughs is an uphill battle, to say the least. Being a half step slower against Burroughs can't be helpful.

I'm looking forward to Dake and JB meeting up in an open tournament down the road, where both are working their way through the brackets.

Would love to see them wrestle in that setting.

Would love to see them wrestle again period!

I agree, but I really don't think it would ahve mattered, in that Burroughs teched Dake in the first match. But Dake did better in the second match. The reality of it is I think right now, Burroughs offensive is simply to explosive for anyone ...and he's getting better. The only guy I think in the world that can beat him is Tsargush and he is infinitely better than Dake, and Tsargush still hasn't. Tsargush being the only person that I've seen go toe to toe with Burroughs in the take down department.

I'm not knocking Dake. But I don't see the polish that it would really take to beat Burroughs yet. The 2nd match was exciting but it still never felt in doubt. Dake had that 3-1 lead, and couldn't protect for 20 seconds, not because he was tired or gassed but because simply put he couldn't stop Burroughs from scoring when he wanted to. I think Dake is already world class and can compete and medal at the international level, but he's not beating JB anytime soon ... and I honestly think that Tsargush or Gadzuric would run ripshot through him as well. Dakes upside though is huge which I was wrong about, I didn't think he would be great FS, but he will be.