Jump to content
IronChef

US Open Freestyle Seeds

Recommended Posts

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2022/April/25/2022-US-Open-mens-freestyle-seeds-announced

The 70kg Sasso-Thomas 8-9 matchup with the winner getting Pantaleo is interesting. 79 is good as previously noted. Potential for an All NC State semi between Hidlay and Reenan at 86. Joe Rau left his shoes on the mat in Greco but is back in Freestyle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see many US open entrants making the World Team this year.

Looks to me like

57 Gilman
61 Fix
65 Yianni
74 Dake
86 Taylor
92 Cox
97 Snyder

are all pretty big favorites and none are at the US Open.

Dieringer at 79 has a shot against JB

125 is open but Gwiz would be favored in my mind.

70 I would say Pantelo (who is at the open) is favored but no-one would be shocked if Zain or JO landed the spot.

USAW needs to find a way to make the us open more meaningful at all the weights


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, IronChef said:

If you didn't register by the seeding deadline, you don't get seeded. I'm sure they will make adjustments if someone drops out.

If Gross went up to 65, does he get a seed at that weight, or does he have to go unseeded?  If he does get a seed, what would it be?  Obviously top 4 but not sure exact what it would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rpm002 said:

If Gross went up to 65, does he get a seed at that weight, or does he have to go unseeded?  If he does get a seed, what would it be?  Obviously top 4 but not sure exact what it would be.

USAW posted on Twitter than only those registered by 500 PM Sunday would be seeded at the weight they were registered in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BAC said:

Is it me, or has some of the prestige of a US Open title been lost?

It used to be a must-attend event.  Now it seems like its a qualifier for WTTs and not much more.  

I assume its mostly because of the automatic invites to Final X.

Yes, it is true.  The prima donnas don't want to compete on a regular basis. And risk losing. (Or, as they would put it, being injured.)

They pick and choose their competitions because they can.  American individualism run awry. (Like baseball, basketball, and so many other pursuits.)

Broken toenail; not going to compete.  Chance of getting a lower seed; not going to compete.  Concern about social media; not going to compete.

Yea, the story is more complex.  But it is a variation on our culture that values victory at the expense of everything else.  And that is often pathetic.

Of course there are exceptions to this calculating and planning and fear of loss or reputation.  

Those exceptions should be celebrated: guys who move up or down a weight to challenge champions, for example.  This used to happen more often.

Sport is often now "work" rather than play.  It has been totally hitched to the subjugating control of the "free" market.  Athletics is big business ... and little joy.  

All work and no play makes Dake (Boroughs, Snyder, DT ...) a dull boy  ...

              and the sport less interesting.

Edited by dmm53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, our higher ups who seem to be wrestling less are still wrestling more than the Russians are.  Especially outside if US/Russian tournaments.  Before somebody goes full dense pudding cup, I mean this as a 'before Ukraine' sort of statement.

We had more US guys in the Yarigan than the Russians do in the Bill Farrell.  Kolov?  Yassar Dogu?  Matteo Pelicone?  Spanish Grand Prix?

How many from Russia went from 2015-2019?  How many US gents? 

Hell, I imagine the USAW travels to more international UWW events per year per style than every other senior governing body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe that's why the russians were so dominant. 

they saved their best for the best? 

btw, it's all about the money now.. perhaps thats why they protect their seeds...

and perhaps the same reason seeds are protected in ncaa wrestling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GockeS said:

maybe that's why the russians were so dominant. 

they saved their best for the best? 

btw, it's all about the money now.. perhaps thats why they protect their seeds...

and perhaps the same reason seeds are protected in ncaa wrestling 

While I agree, I will only add one more caveat to the reasonings, before derailing the subject:

Many if these guys have successful businesses that they have to help run the day-to-day on.  If they let up now, they risk their chances at extended success.  Meaning they are successful now but not successful enough they can trust other hands to run it for them for too many extended periods a year... yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Sport is often now "work" rather than play.  It has been totally hitched to the subjugating control of the "free" market.  Athletics is big business ... and little joy.  

Yes, wrestling is a profession for those at and near the top. Professional athletes being professional is an idea in its second century, so let's not act like we've lost idyllic idea of the recent past. They are paid to train and compete. What they are doing is not the same as what a high school kid is doing for fun. This is a good thing, by the way. Now top athletes have more ways to be paid for their craft and don't have to work full-time jobs on top of trying to make a world team or just choose to live near poverty in order to keep competing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IronChef said:

Yes, wrestling is a profession for those at and near the top. Professional athletes being professional is an idea in its second century, so let's not act like we've lost idyllic idea of the recent past. They are paid to train and compete. What they are doing is not the same as what a high school kid is doing for fun. This is a good thing, by the way. Now top athletes have more ways to be paid for their craft and don't have to work full-time jobs on top of trying to make a world team or just choose to live near poverty in order to keep competing.

This.

And who is the real prima donna? How about the guy on the internet who thinks Dake, Snyder, Taylor and Burroughs are there solely for his personal entertainment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

This.

And who is the real prima donna? How about the guy on the internet who thinks Dake, Snyder, Taylor and Burroughs are there solely for his personal entertainment. 

Well I know I am defo a Prima Donna (proper noun, bruh).  I can't speak for these other toons.

That said, I am grateful when I get wrestling at the Senior level, always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Well I know I am defo a Prima Donna (proper noun, bruh).  I can't speak for these other toons.

That said, I am grateful when I get wrestling at the Senior level, always.

I am too, but I also understand that their lives belong to them.

I just sit back and enjoy when it comes along. Be grateful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I'll never understand your Sasso love but I hope he competes

He is just a better, bigger version of Storr - with a flash of spice and is a grinder.  I like watching grinders, so long as they don't stall like the Bullards for 6.5 minutes a match.

Unfortunately he is going to have problems at the Senior level, since he hasn't gone the route of growing to 74 KG and he isn't going to make 65 KG.  He said 65 KG + 2 KG for the RTC cup was the hardest thing he has had to do since High School.  A guy who has been wrestling a B1G schedule and excelling at the highest level of Folkstyle wrestling said the hardest thing he had to do was make 147.7lbs, when he wrestles 149 in-season.  Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me for him to stay at 149 then, unless he doesn't care about Freestyle success - which he has also eluded to in his 'MAKING A DYNASTY' statements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Yes, it is true.  The prima donnas don't want to compete on a regular basis. And risk losing. (Or, as they would put it, being injured.)

They pick and choose their competitions because they can.  American individualism run awry. (Like baseball, basketball, and so many other pursuits.)

Broken toenail; not going to compete.  Chance of getting a lower seed; not going to compete.  Concern about social media; not going to compete.

Yea, the story is more complex.  But it is a variation on our culture that values victory at the expense of everything else.  And that is often pathetic.

Of course there are exceptions to this calculating and planning and fear of loss or reputation.  

Those exceptions should be celebrated: guys who move up or down a weight to challenge champions, for example.  This used to happen more often.

Sport is often now "work" rather than play.  It has been totally hitched to the subjugating control of the "free" market.  Athletics is big business ... and little joy.  

All work and no play makes Dake (Boroughs, Snyder, DT ...) a dull boy  ...

              and the sport less interesting.

LOL No. How about look at how good USA wrestling is now and stop complaining? There are plenty of great matches to watch every year. Freestyle has never been more exciting. The guys you complain about not competing domestically have UWW Ranking Series Events on their calendar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

I am too, but I also understand that their lives belong to them.

I just sit back and enjoy when it comes along. Be grateful.

I do.  I wasn't the one pissing and moaning about it having 'lost luster' or w/e.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

I'll never understand your Sasso love but I hope he competes

I'm also interested in seeing how he does, but nothing about his style leads me to think he is a serious threat on the freestyle circuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm also interested in seeing how he does, but nothing about his style leads me to think he is a serious threat on the freestyle circuit.
Yeah, I don't think freestyle fits him at all. Don't like his size for the weight either.... I kind-of see him getting out-skilled and out-horsed...
I hope he comes out like a killer but back to back wins would surprise me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BAC said:

Is it me, or has some of the prestige of a US Open title been lost?

It used to be a must-attend event.  Now it seems like its a qualifier for WTTs and not much more.  

I assume its mostly because of the automatic invites to Final X.

Yes.

US Open winner gets spot to Final X.  This would intice more to the US open, and would also give us a better shot at having our best world team the year before Olympics, because guys wouldn't be cramming into the olympic weight as much to try and get that final x spot in the olympic year.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this, equally curious the reasons against it.

Edited by Lurker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yes.

US Open winner gets spot to Final X.  This would intice more to the US open, and would also give us a better shot at having our best world team the year before Olympics, because guys wouldn't be cramming into the olympic weight as much to try and get that final x spot in the olympic year.

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this, equally curious the reasons against it.

US Open winner doesn't get pass to Final X, though?

They get the #1 seed at WTT.   Are you suggesting that should be what it is instead?

For a guy like Pantaleo or Oliver, that is huge.  It puts them opposite Zain and the loser of them two at WTT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...