IronChef

US Open Freestyle Seeds

I think the qualification was too generous to NCAA placewinners. It would be one thing if the Open was really close to the NCAA tournament, but it's six weeks afterwards. It's enough time to recover and be ready to enter this event. The third place NCAA finisher doesn't need an automatic qualifier spot.

I also think things will change post-COVID. The schedule will calm down and there won't be as many spots for previous trials qualifiers because there won't be as many events crammed together.

18 hours ago, BAC said:

Just curious, is there anyone who you think made a world/Olympic team under the old system who should NOT have made it, or wouldn't have made it if we hadn't made these changes?  I'm struggling.  Most of the "upset" winners at trials went on to medal (e.g. Cross over Brands, Kelly over McIravy, Slay over Williams, Snyder over Varner...).  Maybe Koll over Monday, but that was forever ago and a special situation.  I think the recent results at Worlds have more to do with the generational talents we happen to have right now, plus the success of the RTCs, than the fact that past medalists are getting byes to Final X.

That said, I'm not really complaining about prior medalists getting a spot in Final X.  I'm more troubled by the fact that so few of the rest of the top 5 are showing up at US Nationals.  A spot in the finals of the WTT challenge tournament for the winner is one way to bring them there.  Another way is to pare back on the number of automatic qualifiers by other means (e.g. top four of 2020 Olympic Trials *AND* top 4 of 2021 WTTs?!).  Or better prizes, or not the same weekend as U20 Nationals, etc.  

So I think you make a good point. I have a recency bias. My point of reference only goes back 15 years and we did not have a lot of medalists at the beginning of that time frame, so I recuse myself from the discussion. I cannot honestly say what is better and I need to consider an era that I was not there for to judge.

i would say that what we have is more 'fair' but maybe not better, but it might be better... 

if anyone has read "wrestlers at the trials" ... there were lots of shenanigans (its a soap opera sometimes)

was that bad? did we put the best product out?  not sure

the russians had the same kind of things going on.. and won.. they kept their best guys in, regardless of record.

I can see several people in the bracket upsetting
PantswayLo but I can only see Pants beating JO.
And it's a true 50/50 in my eyes.
If it is happens I'll probably stick with Pants. But I'm assuming he gets upset

Dude's trying to make this truth immediately.

Pulled away in the second half but confirms my trust that he can't be trusted.

Zain's consistency will have my support as time draws closer.
But for now I'll stick wanting JO's upside which is a thing of lore at this point that most can only recall citing stories from previous generations.

SInce the point of the tournament is to finish in the top 7 and qualify for WTT, thought this was interesting:

the way the bracket fell, between Kramer, Mack, Tagg, and whoever loses between Wright/Mega, only 1 can finish in the top 8.

14 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Decatur battling Lugo was not on my list of "this could happen"

DeCatur gassed in that match but was up 6-0 at one point and then up 8-8 as well. Story of his life...

Edited by DocBZ

DeCatur gassed in that match but was up 6-0 at one point and then up 8-8 as well. Story of his life...
Yeah I mean, anytime post-highschool Decatur takes the mat, it's not plausible he doesn't gas...
I was just amazed he was able to have a lead greater than 1 takedown after the opening 30seconds. ;). Dude has all the talent in the world ... Well unless endurance is considered a talent... Would be cool if somebody could address those conditioning issues.
Dude is so explosive

51 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

Yeah I mean, anytime post-highschool Decatur takes the mat, it's not plausible he doesn't gas...
I was just amazed he was able to have a lead greater than 1 takedown after the opening 30seconds. ;). Dude has all the talent in the world ... Well unless endurance is considered a talent... Would be cool if somebody could address those conditioning issues.
Dude is so explosive

I can still remember Decatur teching Vito in freestyle while still in HS and thinking...whoa. This was when Vito was a RS freshman in college.

Edited by DocBZ

I can still remember Decatur teaching Vito in freestyle in while in HS and thinking...whoa. This was when Vito was a RS freshman in college.
It's amazing honestly. I really hope he gets a second chance at success. Everyone (at least me) has written him off.

Here's Ringer and Cenzo btw. I assume Ringer owns his soul. Size, activity, etc.... But I'm always excited for Cenzo to pull the unexpected (here I hope it's just close)