Sign in to follow this  
Pinnum

Another New D1 Program On the Way?

Rob Tate is the HC there.  He was a DI qualifer for Gardner Webb.   They already have a solid schedule as a DII.  They dualed NAIA runner up Life and UNC-Chapel Hill.   Citadel beat them 30-10.   They need some more support if they are transitioning,  but I'd guess they would jump into the SOCONN and could be somewhat good out there.  They had 3 NQ this year in DII  but they went a combined 1-6  at the DII Championships.   Adding them to DI,  would put NC as a state at like 10 DI teams right?   (or in that vicinity)? 

Ken Chertow was there for a short time as HC.  Maybe a season?

Edited by Swayz
added information

22 hours ago, IronChef said:

I know Google is tough, but they already have men's wrestling.

"...currently in DII, is expected to join Division I" Hence the title... "New Division 1 Program on the Way."

22 hours ago, ionel said:

Men's, women's, somewhere in the middle?

Yes - that's when wrestling season is - between May and Spring of 2023... ;)

2 hours ago, Swayz said:

Rob Tate is the HC there.  He was a DI qualifer for Gardner Webb.   They already have a solid schedule as a DII.  They dualed NAIA runner up Life and UNC-Chapel Hill.   Citadel beat them 30-10.   They need some more support if they are transitioning,  but I'd guess they would jump into the SOCONN and could be somewhat good out there.  They had 3 NQ this year in DII  but they went a combined 1-6  at the DII Championships.   Adding them to DI,  would put NC as a state at like 10 DI teams right?   (or in that vicinity)? 

Ken Chertow was there for a short time as HC.  Maybe a season?

Do you know what their current scholarship situation is and if that will change with the move to D1?

This is great news but it's definitely odd how NC has so many D1 teams, and I feel like Queens will likely have a hard time beating even Gardner Webb for awile.

17 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I can see this happening if the rules are not changed in a couple of years, probably won't be PD3, probably some relatively unknown D2 or D3 wrestler.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, Pinnum said:

The wrestling team needs to make sure they are doing NCWA during the transition.  That will be a way to keep it somewhat competitive for a team that isn't competitive.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:36 PM, TripNSweep said:

I don't think Downey could make 76kg. 

good point. usaw and uww better get to adding a few weights for the fat ladies and others who want to wrestle womens. 

18 hours ago, TheHeel said:

good point. usaw and uww better get to adding a few weights for the fat ladies and others who want to wrestle womens. 

I bet there are a bunch of Karen's complaining that their little snowflake is bigger than 191 and how the weights HAVE to changed.