Casper

Oklahoma State won't win it again

Oklahoma State is on the road to becoming a second tier team. Not top 5, perennially top 6-12 or so.

For some reason John Smith isn't developing kids too well. Not sure what the problem is.

He has some very good wrestlers but outside of Ferrari they aren't beating everyone - and the car guy isn't doing it in John Smith style at all.

Unless something changes a lot their chance of another Title is over.

1 hour ago, Casper said:

Oklahoma State is on the road to becoming a second tier team. Not top 5, perennially top 6-12 or so.

For some reason John Smith isn't developing kids too well. Not sure what the problem is.

He has some very good wrestlers but outside of Ferrari they aren't beating everyone - and the car guy isn't doing it in John Smith style at all.

Unless something changes a lot their chance of another Title is over.

With Ferrari scoring the same as last year they are top 5 this season in a terrible year.  That doesn't account for Wittlake tearing his ACL in January.  If he also scores what he scored last year they actually finish 3rd (but of course Iowa was banged up a lot too and would have crushed OSU if they were both healthy).  

They are miles behind PSU.  They are miles behind Iowa.  I agree they won't win another title.  But they are as good of a bet to finish top 3 as anyone else year in year out.

59 minutes ago, Idaho said:

But will they party like it's 1999? 

I’ve also been told they still party hard overall as a team lol.. but I didn’t want to start something 

Can't help but agree. 

It doesn't seem like the same atmosphere or approach is getting the same results as it did in the mid aughts. 

Esposito, Hendrix, Pendleton, Rosholt, and Mocco all coming together at one time on the same team. That's crazy. Really, four out of five were hammers coming in and had very high expectations. The only one that was 'developed' to much extent was Pendleton. Looks like he was the product of maybe being a late bloomer, physically. And with that much talent surrounding him, literally, he was in a great position to make huge strides.  Those types are often later to the party, but you can see how his progression through college was like a rocket. From 1-2 at nationals (165) to 3rd(174), to 1st, & 1st. Those kinds of athletes are few and far between. 

Its hard to imagine that John Smith has enough 'Juice' or luck left to assemble a team like that again. But I'd pay for a ticket if he did. 

35 minutes ago, TwoPointTakeDown said:

Can't help but agree. 

It doesn't seem like the same atmosphere or approach is getting the same results as it did in the mid aughts. 

Esposito, Hendrix, Pendleton, Rosholt, and Mocco all coming together at one time on the same team. That's crazy. Really, four out of five were hammers coming in and had very high expectations. The only one that was 'developed' to much extent was Pendleton. Looks like he was the product of maybe being a late bloomer, physically. And with that much talent surrounding him, literally, he was in a great position to make huge strides.  Those types are often later to the party, but you can see how his progression through college was like a rocket. From 1-2 at nationals (165) to 3rd(174), to 1st, & 1st. Those kinds of athletes are few and far between. 

Its hard to imagine that John Smith has enough 'Juice' or luck left to assemble a team like that again. But I'd pay for a ticket if he did. 

Pretty certain Pendelton was a hammer coming in (check his HS record) he got pulled out of RS late fr year to replace the injured starter, then he injured his knee believe in conf tournament, had a pretty good career once healthy. 

It's not like Smith doesn't know that they're gonna need to go the RTC route in a big way to compete. They're just not doing much. Wonder if the Seay sanctions are still top of mind with the program being so risk-averse on 'following the rules'...

When Smith decides to step down, OSU should really consider going outside the program to hire a new coach.  There could be some really big names available out there in a few years and fresh blood is needed for recruiting and fundraising.

1 hour ago, TwoPointTakeDown said:

Agree that he won't win, but I think he has pulled in some crazy recruiting classes that just haven't panned out. Chris Perry, Dieringer, Collica, Morrison, Kindig, Heil, etc couldn't win? The only kid to "jump levels" from that group was Boyd.

Edited by jackwebster

5 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Agree that he won't win, but I think he has pulled in some crazy recruiting classes that just haven't panned out. Chris Perry, Dieringer, Collica, Morrison, Kindig, etc couldn't win? The only kid to "jump levels" from that group was Boyd.

Granted Ringer didn't jump levels, but realistically how could he have?  3,1,1,1+ Hodge.  

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Pretty certain Pendelton was a hammer coming in (check his HS record) he got pulled out of RS late fr year to replace the injured starter, then he injured his knee believe in conf tournament, had a pretty good career once healthy. 

According to Pendleton, he was more of a late bloomer. He was not recruited very heavily and started out at OSU down on the depth chart. He won 2 most improved wrestler awards at Okst and of course went on to have a pretty stellar career. 

7 minutes ago, Idaho said:

According to Pendleton, he was more of a late bloomer. He was not recruited very heavily and started out at OSU down on the depth chart. He won 2 most improved wrestler awards at Okst and of course went on to have a pretty stellar career. 

I think he was recruited as a 41 or 49 pounder, but grew before he even hit campus.

I am curious, does the name "John Smith" still have an impact on recruits? He retired from competition when their parents were in middle school and they were in diapers the last time OSU won a team title. Or is he a big enough legend that he still resonates with high schoolers?

5 minutes ago, Henry said:

I am curious, does the name "John Smith" still have an impact on recruits? He retired from competition when their parents were in middle school and they were in diapers the last time OSU won a team title. Or is he a big enough legend that he still resonates with high schoolers?

Suppose you could say the same for "Brands," of course Smith decimated Brands in competition.  

No one has heard of "Tom Ryan" either.  ;_;

Edited by ionel

16 minutes ago, Henry said:

2:20

Edited by jackwebster