Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OR

Oregon State - Dam Proud Giving Day

Recommended Posts

If any of you are so inclined, today is Oregon State's Dam Proud Giving Day.  You can donate any amount of money to help the Beaver Wrestling Program.  At the time of this post the wrestling program is in 9th place out of 50 OSU programs.  Also, 56 more donors (any amount of $) will unlock a $10,000 donation.  Please consider sending a few bucks to Corvallis!

https://www.damproudday.org/organizations/osu-wrestling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrestling shouldn't have to beg like this. Makes me really sad to see. Its like the team cleaning up after football games or getting paid to do work around the campus - no other sport has to do that crap. We should have some higher standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s kind of a dick move for somebody to hold a $10,000 donation hostage like that. 

I guess you could look at it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Also: Donated.  The immediate impact Pendleton had there was impressive.  I hope he builds the dam high and sturdy.

Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s kind of a dick move for somebody to hold a $10,000 donation hostage like that. 

Most of the time they donate the money any way.... it's just a way to get more people to give. The people behind it are great people. You see this quite often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Wrestle81 said:

I agree some what with the heel... wrestling should not have to beg...the coaches and the guys on the team, work their asses off  for the school... Above and beyond

How do you pay for it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wrestle81 said:

I agree some what with the heel... wrestling should not have to beg...the coaches and the guys on the team, work their asses off  for the school... Above and beyond

"for the school" ... how so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Idaho said:

Most of the time they donate the money any way.... it's just a way to get more people to give. The people behind it are great people. You see this quite often. 

So you're saying the whole thing is a lie? That's a poor way to establish trust with somebody who you're soliciting money from. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flying cement...just so you know I don't feel entitled to a single thing , never have. I own a 20 employee HVAC company, have for 40 years..meet my payroll every Friday...no help.

Just real good men working hard 5 days aweek....also coached HS wrestling for 35 years and put 3 kids Thur college ,paying full tuition...so kiss my ass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Matching gifts are extremely common in philanthropy. It's not deception, it's motivation. Note that no matching donor ever says, "I will not give unless others do," they just say that they will match other gifts.

2. Asking the beneficiary of charitable giving to participate in a limited way in raising money is also not unusual, especially if it's just making a video.

3. Athletic departments at every school get a large amount of funding from gifts. This is not wrestling begging for money while other athletes don't participate. Where do you think the money comes from?

4. Wrestlers aren't owed something special because they are wrestlers. Many of them are getting a scholarship, they receive specialized care from coaches, S&C personnel, and athletic trainers, have many benefits not available to other students, and travel across the country to compete in gear they were given for free. At the D1 level, wrestling operates at a huge loss at every school, so donors help pick up the slack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

So you're saying the whole thing is a lie? That's a poor way to establish trust with somebody who you're soliciting money from. 

If that's what you want to believe....  I'm pretty sure nobody was offended or felt lied to in the giving of this 10k  matching gift.  If you felt lied to, feel free to continue not giving. 

50 minutes ago, IronChef said:

1. Matching gifts are extremely common in philanthropy. It's not deception, it's motivation. Note that no matching donor ever says, "I will not give unless others do," they just say that they will match other gifts.

2. Asking the beneficiary of charitable giving to participate in a limited way in raising money is also not unusual, especially if it's just making a video.

3. Athletic departments at every school get a large amount of funding from gifts. This is not wrestling begging for money while other athletes don't participate. Where do you think the money comes from?

4. Wrestlers aren't owed something special because they are wrestlers. Many of them are getting a scholarship, they receive specialized care from coaches, S&C personnel, and athletic trainers, have many benefits not available to other students, and travel across the country to compete in gear they were given for free. At the D1 level, wrestling operates at a huge loss at every school, so donors help pick up the slack.

Well said

Edited by Idaho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

It’s kind of a dick move for somebody to hold a $10,000 donation hostage like that. 

No, it is a wise practice.  
 

It is common practice for a few reasons.  
 

1. It entices others to give. 
2. People don’t like to throw away their donations. And they know that $10,000 isn’t enough to make a difference.  But $20,000 will make a difference.  So this is someone telling the program that if they can raise some amount then the donor will kick in their chunk to make it matter.  
 

Donors don’t like to be the only ones supporting a program.  It is a sign that they are the only ones keeping it alive. 
 

It is common practice and done in other realms where people want to ensure that their contributions do the greatest good. 
 

For example: This may be done with a charity for the homeless and if the charity doesn’t reach the contribution level then the donor doesn’t give the money to the charity.  If the charity can’t raise part of the money then they are probably not good stewards of the funds and won’t be able to sustain a long term operation that can make the type of progress needed to make  a real impact.  
 

So then the donor will go to another group, maybe this time a soup kitchen and offer the same offer to them.  And when they hit the target the funds are released because it shows there are others that will continue to support the cause and make it viable long term.  
 

Administrative costs and infrastructure will take a portion of any gift so if you’re the only one giving your gift doesn’t go nearly as far as when it is bundled with others.  
 

This is a good practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

More than one team/sport is fundraising. Not just wrestling. 
 

Also, yes, wrestling people can have quite the entitled attitude even when it’s not deserved 

Something tells me that PSU guys aren't begging for money like this. They get 5 million a year through their RTC and they don't lower themselves and our sport by begging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

Something tells me that PSU guys aren't begging for money like this. They get 5 million a year through their RTC and they don't lower themselves and our sport by begging. 

The Nittany Lion Club and the Office of University Development absolutely solicit donations to support their program.  A large reason they have the funding they do is because they have been soliciting donations for decades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...