Sign in to follow this  
OR

Oregon State - Dam Proud Giving Day

5 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

Something tells me that PSU guys aren't begging for money like this. They get 5 million a year through their RTC and they don't lower themselves and our sport by begging. 

You don’t think lobbying, fundraising and appealing those parties isn’t a part of what Cael does at PSU? If so I have an Eiffel Tower to sell you. 

The entitled wrestling attitude is one of the worst things going on right now

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

You don’t think lobbying, fundraising and appealing those parties isn’t a part of what Cael does at PSU? If so I have an Eiffel Tower to sell you. 

The entitled wrestling attitude is one of the worst things going on right now

You actually nailed it with this post. This is what CAEL does. Not his athletes. The coaches. Do you see the difference? College student athletes should not be put in a self funding position. Only a bad coach would ask his athletes to do what he can't - fundraise. 

1 hour ago, Pinnum said:

The Nittany Lion Club and the Office of University Development absolutely solicit donations to support their program.  A large reason they have the funding they do is because they have been soliciting donations for decades. 

I am talking about their RTC. They have a 5 million a year operating budget. They get no $ from the school for the RTC. Cael is just better than other coaches at financially supporting his program. I wonder how many houses he owns now?

2 hours ago, TheHeel said:

Something tells me that PSU guys aren't begging for money like this. They get 5 million a year through their RTC and they don't lower themselves and our sport by begging. 

I'm not sure if they get $5 million a year.  I believe that was a 1-time donation (although this only goes up to 2015:)

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5068724-tax-forms-reveal-stunning-finances-at-nittany-lion-wrestling-club

Edited by 1032004

39 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

You actually nailed it with this post. This is what CAEL does. Not his athletes. The coaches. Do you see the difference? College student athletes should not be put in a self funding position. Only a bad coach would ask his athletes to do what he can't - fundraise. 

Using the athlete’s and involving them isn’t a bad thing.. and if you don’t think the RTC is benefiting the team and the money with it.. we’ll stop being obtuse 

5 hours ago, Pinnum said:

No, it is a wise practice.  

It is common practice for a few reasons.  

1. It entices others to give. 
2. People don’t like to throw away their donations. And they know that $10,000 isn’t enough to make a difference.  But $20,000 will make a difference.  So this is someone telling the program that if they can raise some amount then the donor will kick in their chunk to make it matter.  

Donors don’t like to be the only ones supporting a program.  It is a sign that they are the only ones keeping it alive. 

It is common practice and done in other realms where people want to ensure that their contributions do the greatest good. 

For example: This may be done with a charity for the homeless and if the charity doesn’t reach the contribution level then the donor doesn’t give the money to the charity.  If the charity can’t raise part of the money then they are probably not good stewards of the funds and won’t be able to sustain a long term operation that can make the type of progress needed to make  a real impact.  

So then the donor will go to another group, maybe this time a soup kitchen and offer the same offer to them.  And when they hit the target the funds are released because it shows there are others that will continue to support the cause and make it viable long term.  

Administrative costs and infrastructure will take a portion of any gift so if you’re the only one giving your gift doesn’t go nearly as far as when it is bundled with others.  

This is a good practice. 

The other poster said the donor would give the money anyway. You think this donation is really being held hostage over matching the gift?

Either we are being lied to with the matching donation requirement, or the person making the donation is being a bit of a jerk and not just making the donation outright. Imagine giving a gift to a friend or relative and then saying, “you can only keep this if you get XYZ # of gifts from other people.” I agree it’s better than not giving the gift at all, but still it sounds needy to make it conditional. 

With wrestling programs continually on the chopping block and our high school wrestlers having fewer and fewer DI opportunities we are really complaining about this?  The wrestling program is using a yearly donation day set up for the entire OSU system to try and raise a few bucks for their program.  Wouldn't it be more upsetting if they weren't taking this opportunity?

8 hours ago, Idaho said:

If that's what you want to believe....  I'm pretty sure nobody was offended or felt lied to in the giving of this 10k  matching gift.  If you felt lied to, feel free to continue not giving. 

Well said

There was a post from Pinnum, who is an extremely knowledgeable poster, saying that matching gifts are a way for donors to vet their causes. It makes a ton of sense on their end, but my point is it just seems a bit needy. Especially for 10K and an institution like OSU, which I think is extremely well vetted. Out of curiosity, do you think you’re right that the matching donation is just a gimmick and the donation is happening anyway, or is Pinnum correct that it’s a way to vet the cause? 

1 hour ago, TheHeel said:

I am talking about their RTC. They have a 5 million a year operating budget. They get no $ from the school for the RTC. Cael is just better than other coaches at financially supporting his program. I wonder how many houses he owns now?

The Penn State wrestling donors support the RTC.  

Do you think Cael is out raising money for another entity that is not his employer but uses his employer’s facilities without the blessing of the school?  

The money raised by the RTC benefits the Penn State program even if it is a separate legal entity.  He is the head coach of both which would be a conflict of interest if Penn State did not give their blessing and did not benefit from it.   

The reality is that Penn State and Iowa have all the money they need run championship collegiate programs and have reached the limit at what they can buy.  The RTC allows their boosters to buy things they can’t get for their collegiate programs (due to NCAA rules) like additional training partners, coaches, and higher level (international) competitions   

23 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

There was a post from Pinnum, who is an extremely knowledgeable poster, saying that matching gifts are a way for donors to vet their causes. It makes a ton of sense on their end, but my point is it just seems a bit needy. Especially for 10K and an institution like OSU, which I think is extremely well vetted. Out of curiosity, do you think you’re right that the matching donation is just a gimmick and the donation is happening anyway, or is Pinnum correct that it’s a way to vet the cause? 

It's often both.

I have witnessed donors stop giving when they feel like they are the only ones supporting a program and there isn't a community of support around it.

So while there is often the commitment (to which you could call the match a gimmick) it is often a signal to donors for future support.

A donor who gives $10k and has it matched actually feels like they raised $20k for the program.  They view it as a win.  And this leads to them to want to continue to put effort into the program.

Think of this another way... If you look at goFundMe or other social fundraising platforms there is often a snowball effect.  People are reluctant to give money--especially small donors.  "Why good is my $10 donation going to do?"  But if they see that there are others that have given and the number is respectable they are much more likely to jump in "I want to give my $10 to be a part of making a difference!"

There is a lot of psychology at play here.  And people don't want to feel like they are going alone.  Building a community of supporters is how you sustain long term giving.  It is one of the reason the donor clubs of schools are so successful.  You want to be in the club and recognized as being in the community of impactful supporters.  It is actually more enjoyable to be one of many than to be the only one supporting a program.

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

Using the athlete’s and involving them isn’t a bad thing.. and if you don’t think the RTC is benefiting the team and the money with it.. we’ll stop being obtuse 

I didn't say the team isn't benefiting from the RTC - that is the literal purpose of the RTC! "using" the athletes might not be a good thing, depends on who you ask. All good brother, I enjoy you as a poster. Not trying to have beef, we basically agree. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

They don't get $5 million a year and TheHeel is not worth responding to.

If you take a look back to 2014, you can see when the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club became far and away the most wealthy nonprofit wrestling club in the country. In 2014, the NLWC reported $5,726,767 in contributions, ending the 2014 calendar year with net assets of $6,184,252.

5 year rolling average of 1.6 million. stop being a hater and trying to neg people. its going to get you banned.

1 minute ago, TheHeel said:

I didn't say the team isn't benefiting from the RTC - that is the literal purpose of the RTC! "using" the athletes might not be a good thing, depends on who you ask. All good brother, I enjoy you as a poster. Not trying to have beef, we basically agree. 

True, and you’re not accusing me of whining or bullying because I had the audacity to disagree with you.. though I’m still trying to figure out what “big words” he would have used that would have intimidated or confused us

44 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Imagine giving a gift to a friend or relative and then saying, “you can only keep this if you get XYZ # of gifts from other people.” I agree it’s better than not giving the gift at all, but still it sounds needy to make it conditional. 

This is not a good analogy, and it's not what happens. As has been stated repeatedly, a matching gift campaign is a way to motivate others to give. In almost all cases, the "matching" money will be donated regardless. Matching gift campaigns are ubiquitous in all areas of philanthropy. Almost every college has some form of Giving Day, and almost every one of those events involve a matching gift or multiple matches. Common giving software platforms used by organizations have matching gift functionality built in because it is so common. Matching gifts are not uncommon, unusual, or unexpected.

8 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

If you take a look back to 2014, you can see when the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club became far and away the most wealthy nonprofit wrestling club in the country. In 2014, the NLWC reported $5,726,767 in contributions, ending the 2014 calendar year with net assets of $6,184,252.

5 year rolling average of 1.6 million. stop being a hater and trying to neg people. its going to get you banned.

At least we agree they don't get $5 million a year. Annual gifts to NLWC from their IRS filings

2014: 5,668,698
2015: 463,732
2016: 533,825
2017: 539,722
2018: 1,394,418
2019: 1,275,712

35 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

Hi Jimmy

39 minutes ago, IronChef said:

At least we agree they don't get $5 million a year. Annual gifts to NLWC from their IRS filings

2014: 5,668,698
2015: 463,732
2016: 533,825
2017: 539,722
2018: 1,394,418
2019: 1,275,712

I just pulled the same data.

They established an endowment with a donation of over $5MM and still have that money within the organization which ahs been used  to produce income--the way endowments operate.  It isn't accurate to say they bring in $5MM a year.  They did it once.

That's a large sum and they are very well off but it also costs a lot to keep the athletes in the program they have.

In 2019 the club spent roughly $900,000 on salaries and insurance.  The money going mainly to funding athletes. And that doesn't include another $100k to bring in international world class athletes to train.

5 hours ago, Pinnum said:

It's often both.

I have witnessed donors stop giving when they feel like they are the only ones supporting a program and there isn't a community of support around it.

So while there is often the commitment (to which you could call the match a gimmick) it is often a signal to donors for future support.

A donor who gives $10k and has it matched actually feels like they raised $20k for the program.  They view it as a win.  And this leads to them to want to continue to put effort into the program.

Think of this another way... If you look at goFundMe or other social fundraising platforms there is often a snowball effect.  People are reluctant to give money--especially small donors.  "Why good is my $10 donation going to do?"  But if they see that there are others that have given and the number is respectable they are much more likely to jump in "I want to give my $10 to be a part of making a difference!"

There is a lot of psychology at play here.  And people don't want to feel like they are going alone.  Building a community of supporters is how you sustain long term giving.  It is one of the reason the donor clubs of schools are so successful.  You want to be in the club and recognized as being in the community of impactful supporters.  It is actually more enjoyable to be one of many than to be the only one supporting a program.

I just think it’s a strange psychology to say, “I want to give XYZ amount, but only if so many other people can raise the same gift.” I totally understand OSU for accepting the gift-I just don’t see why somebody would want to hold their gift back.

I could see the gift attracting other donors if it were 100K or 1 million..That’s something that could really motivate, and I’d understand the approach if that were the case…but 10K just doesn’t have that effect IMO. That’s what, 1/3rd of an in state scholarship for one year and 1/6th of one for out of state. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an excellent gift and anybody supporting wrestling at that level is a hero IMO. I just don’t see the purpose of making it conditional.

A big thank you to those who donated to a team that probably isn't your team so to speak. It was cool to see people affiliated with other programs on the donor list. 10k means a lot more to some programs than to others... If you watched the Kaylor video the money was going toward new treadmills, heart monitors and other training equipment. 10k does a lot for that.  The matching gift was unlocked at 100 donors... last year Dam Proud day had approximately 200 donors. They made it almost impossible to not unlock their matching gift.  Give all the criticism a rest - They gave 10k that was easily unlocked when many people haven't given 10 bucks to a program.  

Thanks to OR for sharing the thread - and THANKS again  to those who donated.  Beaver wrestling raised over 38k with 163 donors. Not as much as last year, but the overall giving over this last year has been great - especially with the RTC. Beaver wrestling is heading in the right direction.  GO BEAVS!