Sign in to follow this  
jross

Multiple Qualifiers from same team at NCAA Tourney

Given Tennis and other sports allow for multiple individual athletes to qualify for NCAAs, why can't Wrestling do the same?  How can wrestling better enable the best 32 (or 64) to compete for the championship?  

2 minutes ago, jross said:

Given Tennis and other sports allow for multiple individual athletes to qualify for NCAAs, why can't Wrestling do the same?  How can wrestling better enable the best 32 (or 64) to compete for the championship?  

Tennis is better described as a team sport.  

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/tennis-women/d1/2021

The emphasis is on teams in College Tennis. 

This makes my brain hurt. The possibilities and the problems.

Would be nice to add competitors to the tourney. Not sure this is the best way. Maybe a play in tournament during conference. Every team brings one back up at each weight. Top 2(w/ true second) move on to nationals. That could spice things up a bit. 

I would imagine that pretty much every year, Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina could put together two teams that could qualify for the NCAAs in basketball. Would you let them put in two teams.

One consequence of the system you suggest would be even more domination by Penn State and Iowa. Now some recruits may shy away from those teams because they might not start. But if one team could get two kids into the tournament, they wouldn't have to worry about that nearly as much.

6 hours ago, jross said:

I think some would argue wrestling already does this by having multiple weight classes.

I guess you could say swimming or track and field is similar with having multiple events and the possibility for multiple qualifiers though

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

I also think there are a lot of qualifiers, but very few AAs.

Yeah, outside of Beard last year, were there any others (not counting redshirts)?

Only ones I can think of that might've had a shot would be Jack Medley, Nelson Brands (at 174).   Thinking of the transfer portal thread, I guess you could maybe add Dom Demas and Rocky Jordan to the mix. 

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah, outside of Beard last year, were there any others (not counting redshirts)?

Only ones I can think of that might've had a shot would be Jack Medley, Nelson Brands (at 174).   Thinking of the transfer portal thread, I guess you could maybe add Dom Demas and Rocky Jordan to the mix. 

Nelson wouldn't have made the podium at 174 this year.  Labriola took 7th and Lautt took 8th.  I can't see him beating either of those guys.  Ethan Smith was R12 at 174.

I doubt Medley would have AA'd either.  Kaylor who took 8th, beat him 7-2 earlier this past season.

This would be good for the sport. I've been wanting to see it for a long time. Only 1 wrestler per team per weight can score team points. Sometimes they want you to decide on who your point scorer is beforehand, but I think it should be whoever scores more points. Limit it to 2 per weight per school, and let people take 2 guys per weight to the qualifier. Expand the NCAA tournament to 64 and then we'd be talking. 

Never going to happen, unless you want to drop down to less than 50 teams, instead of the whopping 77* we have now...It's hard enough for teams like Sacred Heart, Bellarmine, Gardner Webb, GMU, VMI, etc. to even get NQ's let alone AA.  You start letting PSU, Iowa, tOSU, OkState, and the rest of the top 20 schools qualify an extra guy and you are damn near going to ELIMINATE the bottom 3rd of the DI teams from the NCAA Tournament.

2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

Never going to happen, unless you want to drop down to less than 50 teams, instead of the whopping 77* we have now...It's hard enough for teams like Sacred Heart, Bellarmine, Gardner Webb, GMU, VMI, etc. to even get NQ's let alone AA.  You start letting PSU, Iowa, tOSU, OkState, and the rest of the top 20 schools qualify an extra guy and you are damn near going to ELIMINATE the bottom 3rd of the DI teams from the NCAA Tournament.

You don't need to eliminate smaller teams if you expand the field to 64. You just double the number of qualifiers from each conference. The conferences are set up in a way that keeps the lower tier D1 programs in the tournament. 

15 hours ago, TheHeel said:

You don't need to eliminate smaller teams if you expand the field to 64. You just double the number of qualifiers from each conference. The conferences are set up in a way that keeps the lower tier D1 programs in the tournament. 

you have no idea what you're talking about. MSU158 is spot on.

Edited by Husker_Du

12 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

you have no idea what you're talking about. MSU158 is spot on.

wait a second, so you are actually advocating for a weaker tournament, and for lesser quality wrestler to take the place of better wrestlers? participation trophy-ish mentality. let the best kids compete. 

What we, as wrestling people, have to realize is if any change happens to our NCAA tournaments (D1, D2, D3), you have to understand that will likely be impacted on what shifts other sports are going to have to make. You don't just double the size of a tournament that's already at an absurd qualifier to participant ratio comparatively speaking to make it even more absurd. 

If you just compare Division I and it's (soon-to-be) 81 teams, you get 330 individuals. Division III is at 120 and has 180 qualifiers. 

What happens when you add more qualifiers to the NCAA championships? Cost increases and now magnify that times the 90 NCAA championship events they operate. 

21 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

wait a second, so you are actually advocating for a weaker tournament, and for lesser quality wrestler to take the place of better wrestlers? participation trophy-ish mentality. let the best kids compete. 

The best kids aren't even the best in their weight on their team. They can go to other schools and compete if they are inclined. 

4 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

What we, as wrestling people, have to realize is if any change happens to our NCAA tournaments (D1, D2, D3), you have to understand that will likely be impacted on what shifts other sports are going to have to make. You don't just double the size of a tournament that's already at an absurd qualifier to participant ratio comparatively speaking to make it even more absurd. 

If you just compare Division I and it's (soon-to-be) 81 teams, you get 330 individuals. Division III is at 120 and has 180 qualifiers. 

What happens when you add more qualifiers to the NCAA championships? Cost increases and now magnify that times the 90 NCAA championship events they operate. 

would you be in favor of any sized field expansion? some states let you take 2 extra guys at whatever weight works for your team. 

22 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

where did i 'advocate' for that? lol

you are saying that the top teams would decimate the lesser programs if we let all the schools take 2 per weight. that means you want weaker competition, no?