NJDan

Yianni hates Twitter

Yianni just tweeted: "If it wasn’t how I get paid, I would delete all of my social media accounts today." 

What does he mean by this? I assume he is not paid to tweet? Does he mean tweeting increases his fame and his ability to earn from endorsements? From NIL?

33 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Yianni just tweeted: "If it wasn’t how I get paid, I would delete all of my social media accounts today." 

What does he mean by this? I assume he is not paid to tweet? Does he mean tweeting increases his fame and his ability to earn from endorsements? From NIL?

Could be. I didn't notice anything too specific on his personal FB or Insta but there is a link to equipment via spartan combat. He may have other accounts that do more of this nature.

56 minutes ago, Le duke said:

This makes me like Yianni more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Stock up for me as well. He can pump his sponsor and do not much more and that is fine. 

Leaves more time for real life.

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Could be. I didn't notice anything too specific on his personal FB or Insta but there is a link to equipment via spartan combat. He may have other accounts that do more of this nature.

Like half of his twitter is retweeting Spartan’s posts, including gear links.

Not surprised to see this from Yianni.  The guy has a great head on his shoulders and also seems to be a bit introverted.  It seems like the big users of social media in the wrestling community are those who are extroverted and like promoting the sport/their "personal brand" (like JB), those who do it because they have to but would rather not (Yianni), and those who love to spew nonsense and draw controversy to themselves because they love attention, complaining/whining, and being in the spotlight (not going to talk trash, but we all know who they are).  

Edited by Billyhoyle

1.) In the world of NIL there is a pretty tight correlation between the number of followers you have on social media and the value of your NIL. 

2.) Posting stuff on social media (along with being really good at wrestling) leads to more followers.

3.) NIL is the best legal way for an athlete to get paid in college.

4.) Social media contains every kind of awful.

If you accept those four things, it is pretty easy to see what Yianni is saying.

His alternative is to get off social media, and decrease his NIL value. To each their own.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

On 4/28/2022 at 4:31 PM, NJDan said:

NJDan we have to work on your internetting. Here is the tweet.

13 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

1.) In the world of NIL there is a pretty tight correlation between the number of followers you have on social media and the value of your NIL. 

2.) Posting stuff on social media (along with being really good at wrestling) leads to more followers.

3.) NIL is the best legal way for an athlete to get paid in college.

4.) Social media contains every kind of awful.

If you accept those four things, it is pretty easy to see what Yianni is saying.

His alternative is to get off social media, and decrease his NIL value. To each their own.

I think there are a lot of people (maybe Yianni is one) that will just tweet stuff out, but never actually read the responses.   

Edited by 1032004

On 4/28/2022 at 7:54 PM, AnklePicker said:

Social media is our societal cancer. Who’d a thunk it?

I'm always cautious when claiming that a new medium is radically different than older media that received the same "societal cancer" tag. Poetry (Plato), Elizabethan/Jacobean drama (William Prynne), novels (poets), TV (Theodor Adorno), film, comic books, rock n roll (Allen Bloom), rap (Tipper Gore), video games (Joe Lieberman) -- all marked the end of civilization.  But, man, I must be getting old bc I have become a pearl clutcher. Social media -- admittedly, an absurdly vague term -- seem to have destroyed our attention spans and enfeebled our boredom thresholds. The iphone was the gun in our hand, but the pandemic put one in the chamber. Our poor kids have trouble watching a 30-min sitcom. Ohhh the kids!!! I hate myself.

Edited by jackwebster

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

I'm always cautious when claiming that a new medium is radically different than older media that received the same "societal cancer" tag. Poetry (Plato), Elizabethan drama (William Prynne), novels (poets), TV (Theodor Adorno), film, comic books, rock n roll (Allen Bloom), rap (Tipper Gore), video games (Joe Lieberman) -- all marked the end of civilization.  But, man, I must be getting old bc I have become a pearl clutcher. Social media -- admittedly, an absurdly vague term -- seem to have destroyed our attention spans and enfeebled our boredom thresholds. The iphone was the gun in our hand, but the pandemic put one in the chamber. Our poor kids have trouble watching a 30-min sitcom. Ohhh the kids!!! I hate myself.

Elizabethan drama was the worst. After that we never recovered.

18 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Elizabethan drama was the worst. After that we never recovered.

They are "the chief delight of the Devil," built of "amorous smiles and wanton gestures, those lascivious complements, those lewd adulterous kisses and embracements, those lustful dalliances, those impudent, immodest painterly passages… they are the very schools of bawdery, real whoredoms, incests, adulteries, etc.”  (William Prynne. Histriomastix, 1632) . . . Continue for ~1,000 pages.

Edited by jackwebster

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

They are "the chief delight of the Devil," built of "amorous smiles and wanton gestures, those lascivious complements, those lewd adulterous kisses and embracements, those lustful dalliances, those impudent, immodest painterly passages… they are the very schools of bawdery, real whoredoms, incests, adulteries, etc.”  (William Prynne. Histriomastix, 1632) . . . Continue for ~1,000 pages.

Exactly. Well said.

On 4/30/2022 at 9:44 AM, jackwebster said:

I'm always cautious when claiming that a new medium is radically different than older media that received the same "societal cancer" tag. Poetry (Plato), Elizabethan/Jacobean drama (William Prynne), novels (poets), TV (Theodor Adorno), film, comic books, rock n roll (Allen Bloom), rap (Tipper Gore), video games (Joe Lieberman) -- all marked the end of civilization.  But, man, I must be getting old bc I have become a pearl clutcher. Social media -- admittedly, an absurdly vague term -- seem to have destroyed our attention spans and enfeebled our boredom thresholds. The iphone was the gun in our hand, but the pandemic put one in the chamber. Our poor kids have trouble watching a 30-min sitcom. Ohhh the kids!!! I hate myself.

I’m with you, but this feels different. This is something in your pocket 24/7 that gives you instantaneous feedback whether good or oftentimes bad. None of those things, that I know of, we’re blamed for causing, or at least greatly increasing, anxiety and depression.  Yianni is smart beyond his years.  

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

None of those things, that I know of, we’re blamed for causing, or at least greatly increasing, anxiety and depression.

I'm not sure how to assess this claim bc what we mean by "anxiety" and "depression" didn't exist until the late 20th C (the DSM wasn't published until 1952). Poetry, plays, and novels were, however, associated with stuff like Dyonisian ecstasis, demonic homosexuality, and "hysteria."

But, yeah, perpetual distraction can't be good (e.g. A few years ago, a Stanford study found that multi-tasking gives you brain damage). It's different and, you're right, adults are susceptible, too.

Edited by jackwebster