Sign in to follow this  
sockobuw

for the lazy

how often does the broadcast cut to mike pereira for clarification? he also sometimes disagrees with the call made on the field even after review. fortunately for the nfl most of the plays are not scoring plays. however do you remember the seahawks/packers game this past year? are the rules ****?

You know I have never read the NFL rulebook or the NBA rulebook and never will. Nor do I need to to follow the game. If you have to read the rules, then the rules are ****.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/quiz/_/ ... -mlb-rules

Quiz on baseball rules. I was listening to some sports talk this weekend and with hundreds of thousands having completed it the average score was somewhere around 3/10. One of the hosts of a show I was listening to was a minor league ump and and scored very low on it.

You know I have never read the NFL rulebook or the NBA rulebook and never will. Nor do I need to to follow the game. If you have to read the rules, then the rules are ****.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/quiz/_/ ... -mlb-rules

Quiz on baseball rules. I was listening to some sports talk this weekend and with hundreds of thousands having completed it the average score was somewhere around 3/10. One of the hosts of a show I was listening to was a minor league ump and and scored very low on it.

I took that quiz real quick and without much thought scored a 7/10. If I had spent a little more time thinking about it I probably would have got 9/10 as two were just from reading question too fast. Was definitely wrong on one, though.

The problem with the freestyle wrestling rules-- one certainly NOT shared by baseball or football or basketball-- is that they are so vague and difficult to apply that even avid fans are often flummoxed. Casual fans, if they even care, will often have no clue.

It's not about whether a fan can pass a quiz-- it's whether he can watch the game and and at least thunk he knows what's going on.

There's a real simple problem for Americans -- folkstyle does not value exposure or who initiated a move, and freestyle does not really value control, at least not in the same way that folkstyle does. There's a learning curve for any American to understand how the rules work, if they've been used to watching folkstyle. No matter how simple the rules are, when the basic points are awarded differently, it will be difficult for Americans to wrap their minds around how freestyle works.

The problem is probably similar for other countries that have their own popular folk styles -- I really don't know.

There's a real simple problem for Americans -- folkstyle does not value exposure or who initiated a move, and freestyle does not really value control, at least not in the same way that folkstyle does. There's a learning curve for any American to understand how the rules work, if they've been used to watching folkstyle. No matter how simple the rules are, when the basic points are awarded differently, it will be difficult for Americans to wrap their minds around how freestyle works.

The problem is probably similar for other countries that have their own popular folk styles -- I really don't know.

+1

most fans try to use their understanding of folkstyle when watching freestyle and greco. there are some tricky scoring situations, even the most avid fans will not agree on. this happens in folkstyle too. it is the nature of the sport that everything can't be cut and dry, there is some subjectivity to scoring holds.

I completely disagree. I say that FS and being at the top are way more technical than folk stylers. The US is known for having wrestlers that are in great shape fact is the Russians more often beat Americans because they are much better technicians they don't waste energy trying to show force and power or grit.

The fact is Burroughs barely wrestled FS before winning his first worlds, however, he has supreme set of speed but what people don't notice is he has the most incredible setups for his shots, he always uses that explosiveness at the point of perfect impact. If you watch it in slow mow, you see the slightest head tap, or whatever and then boom the instant the guy moves in the expected direction. This is what Russians do so well, and what they learn in FS, it's the epitome of control. The non waste of movement. We don't do this in Folk we learn to go , go , go . go ... in the US instead of focusing on pure technique.

I completely disagree. I say that FS and being at the top are way more technical than folk stylers. The US is known for having wrestlers that are in great shape fact is the Russians more often beat Americans because they are much better technicians they don't waste energy trying to show force and power or grit.

The fact is Burroughs barely wrestled FS before winning his first worlds, however, he has supreme set of speed but what people don't notice is he has the most incredible setups for his shots, he always uses that explosiveness at the point of perfect impact. If you watch it in slow mow, you see the slightest head tap, or whatever and then boom the instant the guy moves in the expected direction. This is what Russians do so well, and what they learn in FS, it's the epitome of control. The non waste of movement. We don't do this in Folk we learn to go , go , go . go ... in the US instead of focusing on pure technique.

This thread is about whether or not people should have to read the rule book in order to be fans of the international styles. It started with a link to the rules, and the thread title, "for the lazy."

This thread is about whether or not people should have to read the rule book in order to be fans of the international styles. It started with a link to the rules, and the thread title, "for the lazy."

Ok, simple answer no, they shouldn't. Wha tsport have you read the rule book in order to watch?