Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jackwebster

JO (me) on the Couch

Recommended Posts

It's that time of year, again: JO comes up short, and I try to figure out why. Maybe I'm just a fan that keeps hoping for some breakthrough that's not in the cards.

You know what his style reminds me of? Super-hero/action-movie fights. When  Hulk and Thor fight, they both close the distance and then proceed to kick, punch, throw the other across the screen and chase em down to do the exact same thing again. Why not just grab the dude, ground n pound, and strangle them? 

JO does something similar: he closes the gap and then does a two-arm shove. Repeat. 

IDK I also root for the Washington Football Team. Just a frustrated fan.

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2022 at 7:26 AM, jackwebster said:

It's that time of year, again: JO comes up short, and I try to figure out why. Maybe I'm just a fan that keeps hoping for some breakthrough that's not in the cards.

You know what his style reminds me of? Super-hero/action-movie fights. When  Hulk and Thor fight, they both close the distance and then proceed to kick, punch, throw the other across the screen and chase em down to do the exact same thing again. Why not just grab the dude, ground n pound, and strangle them? 

JO does something similar: he closes the gap and then does a two-arm shove. Repeat. 

IDK I also root for the Washington Football Team. Just a frustrated fan.

Where did that 2 arm shove come from?  I seem to remember him employing it during his matches with Pico as a way to thwart his pressure.  Maybe I’m wrong but around that time he added it to his game. Do other wrestlers do that?  I know Burroughs does it occasionally but It’s not as pronounced and I can’t think of many others. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Where did that 2 arm shove come from?  I seem to remember him employing it during his matches with Pico as a way to thwart his pressure.  Maybe I’m wrong but around that time he added it to his game. Do other wrestlers do that?  I know Burroughs does it occasionally but It’s not as pronounced and I can’t think of many others. 

Coleman Scott did it, too. Both are/were trying to maintain space without backing up, without looking passive. It's irritating bc both guys score more often from elbow ties than from zero ties. Maybe the idea is to create more opportunities to get to the elbow tie before the opponent completely clamps down with the inside tie (Metcalf). Idk. Like I said, it looks like a movie fight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nhs67 said:

The two armed shove stems from Metcalf.  10 times out of 10 if Metcalf was getting inside on him he was losing.

That's the first time I remember seeing it.  My thought was well he's like 0 for 5 or something might as well try something different...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lurker said:

That's the first time I remember seeing it.  My thought was well he's like 0 for 5 or something might as well try something different...

Yeah, I remember watching and whoever was calling the match (forget who off the top of my head) even said as much - the ole might as well try method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...