IronChef

Cael on tampering

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Doubt it. Beard has been speculated to be heading to the portal ever since Dean arrived. It came as no surprise to anyone that he wound up there. The motivations were internal to PSU.

Yeah but I wouldn't put it past a team to try to talk to him prior to him going in the portal (which of course took a while) given the situation

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah but I wouldn't put it past a team to try to talk to him prior to him going in the portal (which of course took a while) given the situation

Agreed. Which begs the question, how do you define tampering?

If a non-starter at a big school has one foot out the door already, and someone gives him the final push such that he winds up starting at a small school (or at least smaller?), is that tampering? Does there need to be an NIL element to be considered tampering? Or does simply offering the chance to start qualify as tampering?

It is a very different situation than the clear case of tampering: small school invests in developing kid to AA status, and while at the NCAA tournament other teams are whispering sweet nothings in his ear about coming to larger school with boosters willing to fund a lifestyle.

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If a non-starter at a big school has one foot out the door already, and someone gives him the final push such that he winds up starting at a small school (or at least smaller?), is that tampering? Does there need to be an NIL element to be considered tampering? Or does simply offering the chance to start qualify as tampering?

It is a very different situation than the clear case of tampering: small school invests in developing kid to AA status, and while at the NCAA tournament other teams are whispering sweet nothings in his ear about coming to larger school with boosters willing to fund a lifestyle.

Case by case and facts based consideration. 

Anyone from University A contacting an athlete from University B and mentioning any benefit to be accrued in exchange for transferring. Simple concept. 

2 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Anyone from University A contacting an athlete from University B and mentioning any benefit to be accrued in exchange for transferring. Simple concept. 

Does chance to start = benefit? What if it is a 90% chance to start? What if it is a 10% chance to start?

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yeah I think that is the question and that's basically the conversation around Mr. Lee.  Is saying something like "if you are interested in exploring your options, let me know" tampering, even if no benefits/scholarship are even discussed?  

36 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

32 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Does chance to start = benefit? What if it is a 90% chance to start? What if it is a 10% chance to start?

Was that Kerk thing a 90%er or a 10%er?

Can we take a second to talk about how utterly stupid Cael's "simple and effective plan" is? 

There's no way he actually believes this is a good idea, so I have to assume one of his wrestlers was offered $25k and he's tweeting this as some sort of warning.  Only thing that makes sense to me.  

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Doubt it. Beard has been speculated to be heading to the portal ever since Dean arrived. It came as no surprise to anyone that he wound up there. The motivations were internal to PSU.

I'm sure that Dean never talked to anyone prior to entering the portal, either.

4 hours ago, IronChef said:

Is this about the Jordan Addison-USC situation or something else? Cael doesn’t tweet very often, so I’m wondering what brought this on. 

With the timing of the tweet, I'd venture something else.

May have had a coach from another university "tampering" with one or more of Penn State's wrestlers at the Open/U20s and that was a notice to them that he's aware of it.

If you're associated with school A and you talk to a wrestler at school B about transferring when the B wrestler isn't in the portal, it's a violation. Nothing has to be offered.

Also, the word "tampering" does not appear in the NCAA bylaws except in the section about tampering with a drug test sample.

2 hours ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

Can we take a second to talk about how utterly stupid Cael's "simple and effective plan" is? 

There's no way he actually believes this is a good idea, so I have to assume one of his wrestlers was offered $25k and he's tweeting this as some sort of warning.  Only thing that makes sense to me.  

Why is it "utterly stupid"? Serious question.