Jump to content
NJDan

NIL call for Bribes

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, ionel said:

this explains why there are no universities in other countries and no intelligent life outside of the US   ;_;

People live outside of the US??  I choose to not believe that.  There is only the us.  Next thing you are going to try and convince me of is that the earth is round or something....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Someone in wrestling has publicly threatened to enter the transfer portal if they don’t get a better NIL deal?

I was referring to the second paragraph of Plasmodium’s post, the part about devolving into contract negotiations and coaches seeking out NLI funds to funnel to wrestlers, on the DL. 

Think about how these NLI funds are practically implemented. How can a prospective sponsor offer an endorsement deal to someone they don’t even know it’s being offered to?? They are simply telling the coach, “hey I’ve got 25k available for the athlete of YOUR choice. Just give me the name and I’ll draw up some bogus contract that will keep your compliance guys happy.” There is no other way this can possibly be done. Is that really the spirit in which NLI was instituted? PSU’s (and others) NLI funds are patently and only thinly veiled pay to play schemes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

I was referring to the second paragraph of Plasmodium’s post, the part about devolving into contract negotiations and coaches seeking out NLI funds to funnel to wrestlers, on the DL. 

Think about how these NLI funds are practically implemented. How can a prospective sponsor offer an endorsement deal to someone they don’t even know it’s being offered to?? They are simply telling the coach, “hey I’ve got 25k available for the athlete of YOUR choice. Just give me the name and I’ll draw up some bogus contract that will keep your compliance guys happy.” There is no other way this can possibly be done. Is that really the spirit in which NLI was instituted? PSU’s (and others) NLI funds are patently and only thinly veiled pay to play schemes. 

Non revenue sports were an afterthought when the law was made. Universities were making hundreds of millions a year off of these athletes. Coaches were getting paid millions a year. Now athletes can get their fair market value as well. Its not a perfect system, but what manmade system is perfect? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dman115 said:

People live outside of the US??  I choose to not believe that.  There is only the us.  Next thing you are going to try and convince me of is that the earth is round or something....

oval 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wrestlingphish said:

If you are only a fan of collegiate athletics due to the emphasis on amateurism, parity, and the concept of a student-athlete then why don’t people just support D2 and D3 schools instead of D1? No one is forcing anyone to support the programs, conferences, and athletes that believe that collegiate athletes should be able to capitalize on their perceived market value. 

Because the athletes in D2 and D3 aren’t as good. The concept is that it’s fun to watch the best student athletes compete. 
 

I don’t understand why people enjoy watching professional athletes play in college sports. Isn’t there something wrong with an athlete attending a university only to compete/get paid and having education be an afterthought? Why not just have a minor league professional team that’s not connected to a university. Universities shouldn’t be part educational institution, part pro sports team. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

Non revenue sports were an afterthought when the law was made. Universities were making hundreds of millions a year off of these athletes. Coaches were getting paid millions a year. Now athletes can get their fair market value as well. Its not a perfect system, but what manmade system is perfect? 

The bulk of those “hundreds of millions” (not that much in all but a very few cases) was used to fund ALL the other sports. When that money shrinks, non-revenue sports get budget cuts or worse. So if football and basketball players finally get their “fair market value” and wrestling programs get de-funded or cut, is that worth it to you? If football and men’s basketball are the only college sports left (most of those are not even in the black), would you still think this was ultimately the right consequence for all aspiring college athletes? Title 9 already dictates opportunities must be equal so women’s non revenue sports are probably safe, at least about 95 schollies worth. Goodbye wrestling funding from the college, hello NLI money being solely responsible for covering all costs. Good luck with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most power 5 schools are in the 90 million revenue per year plus bucket. Why do you suggest that NIL deals will shrink that budget at all? These NIL deals are done outside of the school and won't have any significant impact on the budget of a department. How do you make the leap from a rich alumni funding an NIL deal to wrestling being cut? Its illogical. Somehow you are tying NIL deals and wrestling programs losing funding. I'd love to know where you pulled that from?

 

What % of athletes do you think will get an NIL deal? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IronChef said:

One possibility is that big donors stop giving to the school and instead give their money to the athletes.

Another possibility is that businesses (not individuals) are now able to contribute in ways they previously couldn't, which would mean more $ overall, not less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheHeel said:

Another possibility is that businesses (not individuals) are now able to contribute in ways they previously couldn't, which would mean more $ overall, not less. 

What ways are now available that weren’t before? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheHeel said:

Non revenue sports were an afterthought when the law was made. Universities were making hundreds of millions a year off of these athletes. Coaches were getting paid millions a year. Now athletes can get their fair market value as well. Its not a perfect system, but what manmade system is perfect? 

Chick Fil A drive thru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheHeel said:

Most power 5 schools are in the 90 million revenue per year plus bucket. Why do you suggest that NIL deals will shrink that budget at all? These NIL deals are done outside of the school and won't have any significant impact on the budget of a department. How do you make the leap from a rich alumni funding an NIL deal to wrestling being cut? Its illogical. Somehow you are tying NIL deals and wrestling programs losing funding. I'd love to know where you pulled that from?

 

What % of athletes do you think will get an NIL deal? 

 

Not all schools are NLI equal. Those who fall short will either have to pony up more money themselves in terms of facilities, coaches, whatever, in order to stay competitive. But ultimately wealth will concentrate at the top, talent will follow, and that means a less competitive environment. Most schools will become less competitive with the top dogs. Less success on the field = less booster money, less attendance, etc. The majority of schools will lose revenue because of less success. Funding for their non-revenue sports will be the first to go. It is a leap, granted. But definitely a possible outcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2022 at 1:27 PM, NJDan said:

A few days ago, a basketball player at Miami named Isiah Wong said he would enter the portal if he did not get a better NIL deal.  Wong already had a $100K deal, but it seemed he was looking for $800K. https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/29/miami-isaiah-wong-basketball-threatening-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-nijel-pack-john-ruiz-lifewallet. This seems like a pretty transparent call fpr bribery. Is there anything to stop it?

Simply testing the waters for a better contract.

The kids would be a lot better off if they had Agents handling the dollars & legal stuff for them.

Just admit it - Pay to Play is here, in the OPEN finally for "amateur" collegiate sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW I did read and article today, where the NCAA is getting ready to crack down on boosters being involved in NIL deals.
 

They will be highlighting it since it is already technically a rule that many universities have been breaking. 

The article said “boosters are a part of the athletic program, therefore they are not allowed to engage in NIL deals as that creates a pay to play environment” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Riz23 said:

FWIW I did read and article today, where the NCAA is getting ready to crack down on boosters being involved in NIL deals.
 

They will be highlighting it since it is already technically a rule that many universities have been breaking. 

The article said “boosters are a part of the athletic program, therefore they are not allowed to engage in NIL deals as that creates a pay to play environment” 

Interesting. Can you post a link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found references to it on Eleven Warriors Wednesday skull session and linked to a sports illustrated article.
 

But not sure if the full article has been published yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Because the athletes in D2 and D3 aren’t as good. The concept is that it’s fun to watch the best student athletes compete. 
 

I don’t understand why people enjoy watching professional athletes play in college sports. Isn’t there something wrong with an athlete attending a university only to compete/get paid and having education be an afterthought? Why not just have a minor league professional team that’s not connected to a university. Universities shouldn’t be part educational institution, part pro sports team. 

Well if you consider D1 athletes receiving compensation for their performance to be professionals and not student athletes then those D2 and D3 are the best student athletes competing. So it looks like you get your way and the athletes that can and want to get paid. Problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Because the athletes in D2 and D3 aren’t as good. The concept is that it’s fun to watch the best student athletes compete. 
 

I don’t understand why people enjoy watching professional athletes play in college sports. Isn’t there something wrong with an athlete attending a university only to compete/get paid and having education be an afterthought? Why not just have a minor league professional team that’s not connected to a university. Universities shouldn’t be part educational institution, part pro sports team. 

What is wrong with an athlete getting paid for their image while playing a sport AND receiving and education??  In your mind because the athlete receives money for their image their education becomes less valid??  Somehow the purpose of the University and the reasons a person receives an education gets thrown out the window and their degree is worthless??  You love watching Gable Steveson wrestle but the minute you found out he got a NIL deal, BOOM, you can't stand watching him wrestle any longer because in your mind he is now a "professional"??  Should he just quite school and forget about getting a degree because now it is meaningless??  UWM should just shut the university down...it's worthless....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Riz23 said:

FWIW I did read and article today, where the NCAA is getting ready to crack down on boosters being involved in NIL deals.
 

They will be highlighting it since it is already technically a rule that many universities have been breaking. 

The article said “boosters are a part of the athletic program, therefore they are not allowed to engage in NIL deals as that creates a pay to play environment” 

Heard about this on the radio too.  What defines a "booster"?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2022 at 3:00 PM, ionel said:

 

The NIL is for your "image," if your "image" isn't worth $800k then who's fault is that. 

I live two hours from miami and work in athletics.......never heard of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Heard about this on the radio too.  What defines a "booster"?

The NCAA DI bylaws say this:

13.02.15 Representative of Athletics Interests. A "representative of the institution's athletics interests" is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00, 4/25/18)

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their family members; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IronChef said:

The NCAA DI bylaws say this:

13.02.15 Representative of Athletics Interests. A "representative of the institution's athletics interests" is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity (e.g., apparel or equipment manufacturer) or other organization who is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution's executive or athletics administration to: (Revised: 2/16/00, 4/25/18)

(a) Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution's intercollegiate athletics program;
(b) Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution;
(c) Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes;
(d) Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their family members; or
(e) Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution's athletics program.

 

Thanks, although that (particularly the first and last ones) seems pretty vague.  And wouldn't any business that offers an NIL deal fall under (d)?   If not, this seems like the likely outcome is what some mentioned earlier, people stop giving to schools (in part so they can no longer be defined as "boosters") and instead just give directly to the athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tigerfan said:

Not all schools are NLI equal. Those who fall short will either have to pony up more money themselves in terms of facilities, coaches, whatever, in order to stay competitive. But ultimately wealth will concentrate at the top, talent will follow, and that means a less competitive environment. Most schools will become less competitive with the top dogs. Less success on the field = less booster money, less attendance, etc. The majority of schools will lose revenue because of less success. Funding for their non-revenue sports will be the first to go. It is a leap, granted. But definitely a possible outcome. 

How many teams have won the NCAA wrestling championship in history? Dating back to 1928 (start of NCAA championship), there are 11 teams who have won titles. Throw out MSU with 1, ASU with 1, Cornell with 1, Ohio State with 1 and Indiana with 1. 6 teams have won 89 of the 94 NCAA team wrestling championships. Are you saying it would be less competitive than that? Hard to imagine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...