NJDan

NIL call for Bribes

18 hours ago, IronChef said:

What ways are now available that weren’t before? 

I own a business. I have a LOT more available cash in my business than I do in my bank account. I am not in a position to donate 25K a year, but my company is in a position to hire a spokesperson for 25K a year. Its a direct exchange of service for cash vs. me having to pay myself 40K to earn 25K after taxes. Its cheaper for the individual and now opens up corporate sponsors in ways they couldn't imagine previously. 

8 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

I own a business. I have a LOT more available cash in my business than I do in my bank account. I am not in a position to donate 25K a year, but my company is in a position to hire a spokesperson for 25K a year. Its a direct exchange of service for cash vs. me having to pay myself 40K to earn 25K after taxes. Its cheaper for the individual and now opens up corporate sponsors in ways they couldn't imagine previously. 

My initial point was that those previously donating money to or sponsoring the school itself would potentially instead give money to athletes, and that could affect the budget of the school because they are getting fewer contributions.

28 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

How many teams have won the NCAA wrestling championship in history? Dating back to 1928 (start of NCAA championship), there are 11 teams who have won titles. Throw out MSU with 1, ASU with 1, Cornell with 1, Ohio State with 1 and Indiana with 1. 6 teams have won 89 of the 94 NCAA team wrestling championships. Are you saying it would be less competitive than that? Hard to imagine. 

i agree. it is not 'competitive' in that aspect.

however, if those schools now fold up... that would be less than ideal

competition and hard work are values unto themselves.

a wrestler may never make it to nationals... but i say he/she is better for having wrestled

losing those schools hurts the nation!

this IS A MATTER OF NATIONAL SECURITY!!!

;-)

Edited by GockeS

28 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

But it needs to have value else why would a business spend the money?  Report was Suriano may have got a NIL to go to Michigan perhaps with Cliff Keen but have any seen anything from Suriano that would be of value?  Likewise the Miami basketball player, no one seems to find anything he has done that would add value to the company.  Can the Pitt player generate $3M in value if goes to USC?   Or is this a:  we will pay you now to play but we expect to get something from you later?   If so kind of opposite of what we had before with:  give up your promised scholarship but we will make it up later in pay.  

19 minutes ago, ionel said:

But it needs to have value else why would a business spend the money?  Report was Suriano may have got a NIL to go to Michigan perhaps with Cliff Keen but have any seen anything from Suriano that would be of value?  Likewise the Miami basketball player, no one seems to find anything he has done that would add value to the company.  Can the Pitt player generate $3M in value if goes to USC?   Or is this a:  we will pay you now to play but we expect to get something from you later?   If so kind of opposite of what we had before with:  give up your promised scholarship but we will make it up later in pay.  

Value is a subjective term. If a donor owns a business and decides to take a risk on a spokesperson for 25K a year, that is on the business owner to define the deliverables and value (if they want any). Like I said previously - this is just bringing the dirty games of the past out into the light. 

One thing is for sure, its going to produce some ridiculously good Wrestlers because no one is going to give a cent to guys that suck and the ones that do not win will have money yanked in a heartbeat. Its gonna be like the Russians that are total ballers at the top with the rest dirt poor and everyone fighting to get that carrot (bag). 

47 minutes ago, IronChef said:

My initial point was that those previously donating money to or sponsoring the school itself would potentially instead give money to athletes, and that could affect the budget of the school because they are getting fewer contributions.

Your point is valid, although a lot of the donors are the silver hair type and probably won't want to muck around with NIL stuff. However, in the case of the donor in Miami, he will probably be giving less to the university because he is funding 3 million a year in NIL deals. But, for some people, 3 million is just a rounding error. 

4 hours ago, TheHeel said:

How many teams have won the NCAA wrestling championship in history? Dating back to 1928 (start of NCAA championship), there are 11 teams who have won titles. Throw out MSU with 1, ASU with 1, Cornell with 1, Ohio State with 1 and Indiana with 1. 6 teams have won 89 of the 94 NCAA team wrestling championships. Are you saying it would be less competitive than that? Hard to imagine. 

Try reading what I wrote carefully. I said those top 4 teams, or maybe 5, will still win all the titles, but the scores will become less and less competitive. 5th or 6th will be 25 points or so, instead of 50/60/70/80. No one but the traditional powers will have a prayer of coming near a title. Less competitive, pairity (or lack thereof) will remain unchanged. 

1 hour ago, tigerfan said:

Try reading what I wrote carefully. I said those top 4 teams, or maybe 5, will still win all the titles, but the scores will become less and less competitive. 5th or 6th will be 25 points or so, instead of 50/60/70/80. No one but the traditional powers will have a prayer of coming near a title. Less competitive, pairity (or lack thereof) will remain unchanged. 

You are wrong. Any team with a rich booster can now be competitive. It makes it more wide open, if anything, should someone be so inclined. You can basically buy a title. Try reading carefully.

2 hours ago, TheHeel said:

You are wrong. Any team with a rich booster can now be competitive. It makes it more wide open, if anything, should someone be so inclined. You can basically buy a title. Try reading carefully.

Dude, where are these rich boosters you speak of? Where have they been while PSU, Iowa, OkSt, and tOSU, have been winning every title for the last 20 years? Don’t you think all the other programs have been tapping every resource they have to fund RTC’s, etc ? The rich boosters have already made themselves felt, problem is they all support the traditional powers. Now they can really step on the gas and leave every other program in the dust. You are delusional, or misinformed, or naive. Maybe all three. Or maybe you’re right and I’m wrong. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, tigerfan said:

Dude, where are these rich boosters you speak of? Where have they been while PSU, Iowa, OkSt, and tOSU, have been winning every title for the last 20 years? Don’t you think all the other programs have been tapping every resource they have to fund RTC’s, etc ? The rich boosters have already made themselves felt, problem is they all support the traditional powers. Now they can really step on the gas and leave every other program in the dust. You are delusional, or misinformed, or naive. Maybe all three. Or maybe you’re right and I’m wrong. Time will tell. 

Must be hard to see the world passing you by, without understanding why or how. 

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33858420/sec-pac-12-commissioners-visit-washington-pursuit-help-nil-policies-source-says

I find the choice of words around students becoming employees fascinating: "existential threat", "harm that will come to student-athletes if they are deemed employees".

Also palpable is the frustration with the NCAA for abdicating responsibility ("either the NCAA is going to get their act together in enforcing this or I'm going to...").

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33858420/sec-pac-12-commissioners-visit-washington-pursuit-help-nil-policies-source-says

I find the choice of words around students becoming employees fascinating: "existential threat", "harm that will come to student-athletes if they are deemed employees".

Also palpable is the frustration with the NCAA for abdicating responsibility ("either the NCAA is going to get their act together in enforcing this or I'm going to...").

In other news, Carl says the senators are tampering and demanding congress send him $25k.  ;)

On 5/2/2022 at 11:18 PM, ionel said:

Should the average athlete at a university earn more money than the average professor?

Although I am ok with a top professor making more than the football couch and there was a time when that was the case.

If that athlete has contributed to more money coming to the organization (in this case the university) than the professor, then yes I would agree with this. 

We have to remember it’s not about being an athlete is hard so they should get paid, it’s about these athletes bring in millions and millions to their organization, and they should be compensated for that. 

Its the same reason I’m okay with a professional athlete making more than I do. The athlete brings in a lot more money to his organization than I do, even though I have a bigger impact on the community. But this is America. And America wasn’t built on reach as high as you can so long as you don’t reach higher than what others think someone else deserves….

On 5/3/2022 at 9:18 AM, dman115 said:

Who were the top programs in Wrestling before NIL?  Who will be the top programs now after NIL?  Answer...the same ones!!  I feel like for some, they want to make NIL a "bad" thing and extrapolate that it is going to ruin wrestling and make programs drop...all because they either don't understand it, or out of principle, don't like it because it isn't "amateur" sports any longer.  It never was "amateur" sports at the D1 college level...in any sport.  The athletes have always received some sort of compensation for participating/playing a sport...and the really good athletes got compensated more than the not as good ones...and some schools were able to compensate their athletes more then other schools.  Money, and BIG money (especially football and basketball), has and will always be part of college sports.  So in my opinion, I think it is a good thing that the athletes now at least have a say in how the receive compensation and in what form they receive it.  Sure there are probably things that need tweaking and adjusting to fit the new landscape, but I guess I am not going to have the opinion it should be scrapped based on issues people create in their minds because because they don't like change and/or they don't understand it.

And I won't even get into the debate about how Universities were meant as a place of learning...blah blah blah...sports are a part of learning people...sheesh...kill sports and you won't have a University...or at least a very big one that the majority of people would want to attend.

“Athletics is an aspect of a well rounded education, an extension of education”

until we want them to be separate entities for our argument. 

On 5/5/2022 at 9:00 AM, Lurker said:

If that athlete has contributed to more money coming to the organization (in this case the university) than the professor, then yes I would agree with this. 

We have to remember it’s not about being an athlete is hard so they should get paid, it’s about these athletes bring in millions and millions to their organization, and they should be compensated for that. 

Its the same reason I’m okay with a professional athlete making more than I do. The athlete brings in a lot more money to his organization than I do, even though I have a bigger impact on the community. But this is America. And America wasn’t built on reach as high as you can so long as you don’t reach higher than what others think someone else deserves….

The problem is that universities have professional athletic teams attached to them. It defeats the entire concept of college sports. Coaches/ADs shouldn’t be paid millions, and the revenue from the athletic department should fund need-based scholarships for the university. It’s amazing how they’ve forgotten the entire point of a university isn’t to have pro sports in Alabama/Mississippi/etc. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

The problem is that universities have professional athletic teams attached to them. It defeats the entire concept of college sports. Coaches/ADs shouldn’t be paid millions, and the revenue from the athletic department should fund need-based scholarships for the university. It’s amazing how they’ve forgotten the entire point of a university isn’t to have pro sports in Alabama/Mississippi/etc. 

I don’t at all disagree with you, the only thing I’d change in there is that it defeats what used to be the entire concept of what college sports. 

Do I think a college football coach should be the highest paid state employee?  No probably not. I mean we could easily start with the governor right?  BUT. That’s what it has become. And that’s not going to go away now. We can argue all day long whether or not college sports should be a business, but the only fact of the matter is that they now are and since we’ve reached this point, forever will be. And this whole thing is about those kids whom all those TV contracts are paying to watch and jerseys being sold should be able to go out and get theirs. The other thing I like about this set up is not only will these kids get paid, but not everyone who makes an NIL dollar will go pro, but whole lot of them will make connections that will come into play in life after competition.   Which is part of what college is supposed to be about….

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I don’t at all disagree with you, the only thing I’d change in there is that it defeats what used to be the entire concept of what college sports. 

Do I think a college football coach should be the highest paid state employee?  No probably not. I mean we could easily start with the governor right?  BUT. That’s what it has become. And that’s not going to go away now. We can argue all day long whether or not college sports should be a business, but the only fact of the matter is that they now are and since we’ve reached this point, forever will be. And this whole thing is about those kids whom all those TV contracts are paying to watch and jerseys being sold should be able to go out and get theirs. The other thing I like about this set up is not only will these kids get paid, but not everyone who makes an NIL dollar will go pro, but whole lot of them will make connections that will come into play in life after competition.   Which is part of what college is supposed to be about….

Right, the purpose of sports is no longer development of young people. 

Once the NCAA inevitably acknowledges the focus is on winning at two sports and the money that comes with it the players will get their fair slice of the actual pie, not a booster's car commercial.

30 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

They can't punish people retroactively. The NCAA is doing their best to lose their place in sports. 

Ahh ... isn't that the only thing they can do and what they always do?