NJDan

NIL call for Bribes

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Ahh ... isn't that the only thing they can do and what they always do?

I thought they have just been punishing people they thought might have the potential of committing a crime eventually ;)

Edited by flyingcement
forgot the winky face

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

I thought they have just been punishing people they thought might have the potential of committing a crime eventually ;)

Or maybe they just randomly punish folks on what they may or may not be currently doing.  Its gotta fit 1 of those 3 options, correct?  ;)

10 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Right, the purpose of sports is no longer development of young people. 

I don’t know if I’d go that far. Maybe the purpose of power five football and basketball is no longer development/graduation. I don’t think I’d throw all of sports, or even all of D-1 sports, under that. 

As for funding ‘classroom endevours’, I’m pretty sure the athletic departments that rake also contribute to general education funds. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

They aren't punishing anyone retroactively. They are just deciding to enforce the rules. Boosters recruiting athletes at other schools has always been illegal.

So apparently it is kosher if boosters set up NIL deals for current athletes?

I heard people saying all these “NIL Collectives” (such as the one at PSU where David Taylor is on some sort of board) would be illegal, but if they only claim to work with current athletes, it sounds like they would be legal (not to mention I believe the PSU one supposedly says it distributes the funds evenly).

Is it just me or does this sound pretty toothless?

"While the NCAA may pursue the most outrageous violations that were clearly contrary to the interim policy adopted last summer, our focus is on the future."

Sounds more like everyone gets a free pass, but starting now we really mean it.

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2022/5/9/media-center-di-board-of-directors-issues-name-image-and-likeness-guidance-to-schools.aspx

11 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Is it just me or does this sound pretty toothless?

Sounds more like everyone gets a free pass, but starting now we really mean it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=animal+house+super+secret+probation&oq=animal+house+super+secret+probation&aqs=chrome..69i57.21152j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-gn-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:376a714c,vid:r3LzJzQ3wj4,st:0