Sign in to follow this  
Lunaticfringe

Beard to Lehigh

7 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Can he wrestle as a graduate student?  Is he graduating from PSU this year?

I replied to your post in the other thread before seeing this.  Should make 197 very interesting this upcoming season.

If Max wasn't Dave's son.  I would be immediately cheering for Beard over Dean whenever they wrestle.  In fact, it is one of my favorite situations in wrestling.  RJ Boudro started at Michigan and ended up transferring to MSU.  Watching him beat Nick Roy was one of my favorite moments at Jenison.

3 hours ago, MSU158 said:

If Max wasn't Dave's son.  I would be immediately cheering for Beard over Dean whenever they wrestle.  In fact, it is one of my favorite situations in wrestling.  RJ Boudro started at Michigan and ended up transferring to MSU.  Watching him beat Nick Roy was one of my favorite moments at Jenison.

RJ was never a state champ but he was a gamer.  As I recall, he beat Roy in wrestle-offs but the staff went with their scholarship man Roy as the starter.  As you mention, he transfers to MSA and beats Roy and takes 3rd in the Big 10; Roy would later AA at 197.  RJ now doing a nice job coaching at Lowell HS.

Congrats to Lehigh.  If Beard can fix his gas tank issue he's a legit contender to win it all.  Looking forward to Beard, Ferrari, and Aaron Brooks battle it out at Nationals in 2024

Edited by portajohn

Very happy to see Beard land there.  My only concern is ... who will his training partners be?  Lehigh is looking a bit thin in the upperweights, especially with Wood graduating.  Not doubting Santoro as a coach but... I dunno, maybe there's some LVAC guys he can roll around with?  Is Gaige Garcia still wrestling (and back from injury)?

Just now, BAC said:

Very happy to see Beard land there.  My only concern is ... who will his training partners be?  Lehigh is looking a bit thin in the upperweights, especially with Wood graduating.  Not doubting Santoro as a coach but... I dunno, maybe there's some LVAC guys he can roll around with?  Is Gaige Garcia still wrestling (and back from injury)?

I believe Garcia is back and healthy 

1 hour ago, portajohn said:

Congrats to Lehigh.  If Beard can fix his gas tank issue he's a legit contender to win it all.  Looking forward to Beard, Ferrari, and Aaron Brooks battle it out at Nationals in 2024

Do you mean Max Dean?

6 hours ago, Coach_J said:

RJ was never a state champ but he was a gamer.  As I recall, he beat Roy in wrestle-offs but the staff went with their scholarship man Roy as the starter.  As you mention, he transfers to MSA and beats Roy and takes 3rd in the Big 10; Roy would later AA at 197.  RJ now doing a nice job coaching at Lowell HS.

From what I heard at the time, RJ wanted to stay at UM, but in addition to lineup issues, he was only given so much scholarship money, and MSU offered him a full ride.  I'm glad it turned out well for him.

5 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Dean still has two more years, doesnt he?  That's what your getting at I believe 

Dean only has 1.  I think he meant Brooks, assuming he bumps to 197 after next season.

10 hours ago, Mokoma said:

Do you mean Max Dean?

6 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Dean still has two more years, doesnt he?  That's what your getting at I believe 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Dean only has 1.  I think he meant Brooks, assuming he bumps to 197 after next season.

This is Dean's last year.  Brooks is going 197 for the '23-'24 season

14 hours ago, Coach_J said:

Although true, in his defense, he lost to Michalak in the State Finals.  He turned out to be something quite special.  On top of that, I believe RJ beat Wynn at Regionals that year and they were 1-1 against each other that year going into the State Finals!

10 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

Although true, in his defense, he lost to Michalak in the State Finals.  He turned out to be something quite special.  On top of that, I believe RJ beat Wynn at Regionals that year and they were 1-1 against each other that year going into the State Finals!

The Michalak connection--Roy beat Wynn at NCAA's to earn AA status.

13 minutes ago, Coach_J said:

The Michalak connection--Roy beat Wynn at NCAA's to earn AA status.

Yeah, that draw was pretty much the perfect storm for Roy, while that year was a mess for Wynn.  Coming off AA'ing his first 2 years, Wynn was battling injuries that year and only came in as the 10 seed.  Meanwhile, Roy was unseeded, but got another unseeded the 1st round and then would have hit Max Askren 2nd round, but he inexplicably went 0 and 2 and BBQ as the 1 seed.  So, Roy made it to the QF's before losing to Backes, but then beat Wynn in OT in the R12 to take 8th.

As an aside, that bracket had some MONSTERS all lose in the R12.  Brester(R12,4th,2nd,2nd with a win over Varner),  Michalak(6th,8th,R12,2nd), Taylor(R12,3rd,3rd,4th) Herbst(R12,R12,6th,(2-2)).  Crazy that 3 out of the 4 AA'd every other time they had a chance!

16 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I believe Garcia is back and healthy 

He's a heck of an athlete.  The last guy to beat Feldman if I recall.  I'm sure he has some catching up to do to reach Beard's level, but I suspect they could really push each other.  If he's still playing football I'm sure his potential will be limited by his gridiron time, but you never know.