Sign in to follow this  
Lunaticfringe

Beard to Lehigh

4 hours ago, red blades said:

I believe the EIWA tournament is at Penn next year, and I expect it will be a tight race again between Penn and Cornell - expect Lehigh to fight it out with Princeton for 3rd.

2 hours ago, Spladle88 said:

Anyone want to lay odds on Lehigh not finishing 4th or better next year? I'll take Lehigh finishing anywhere from 1-4....

So - you agree with me, right?!  ;-D

6 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I would bet Penn wins EIWA next year

With  Cornell bringing back their entire squad, but with Arujau moving up and Cornella coming in as an upgrade at 141 and hopefully Foca and Ramirez recovered from their concussions, what do you see as changing to have you want to make that bet?  Looks like Penn is all back except at 184 (Antrassian).

6 hours ago, klehner said:

With  Cornell bringing back their entire squad, but with Arujau moving up and Cornella coming in as an upgrade at 141 and hopefully Foca and Ramirez recovered from their concussions, what do you see as changing to have you want to make that bet?  Looks like Penn is all back except at 184 (Antrassian).

Penn seems to have a lot of momentum although when I went back and checked the numbers, Lehigh is not so far behind either.  

Last year Vito got first and LaJoie got third, respectively, at EIWA.  That would mean this year, with Vito a near lock to win 133, we would need Greg to finish at least third just to break even with last year.  Is it possible?  Sure.  But I think Ryan Miller, Sheldon Seymour, and potentially even Vince Santaniello would be giving him issues (in addition to Glory obviously)

At 141 Composto was second last year to Kazimir and I would expect him to beat him next year.  Zapf is another guy with upward trajectory. Lots of possibilities which makes it exciting.  

Foca and Ramirez should finish better than they did last year which should be two places that Cornell should see improvement.

12 hours ago, klehner said:

I hope to see what Yapoujian can do with a healthy year as well.

22 hours ago, red blades said:

Well I think the original question I was addressing concerns next season - not 50 years ago (when the average Lehigh fan graduated).

Too funny. As a Lehigh grad of 45 years ago, I can relate to this comment.

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

He's kinda stuck with Lee coming back at 125 and RBY and Fix back at 133.... might as well eat. 

Arujau said before the season that he was going 125 despite Lee.  Why do you think Glory would try to find the easiest path?

55 minutes ago, klehner said:

Arujau said before the season that he was going 125 despite Lee.  Why do you think Glory would try to find the easiest path?

I didn't say it was the easiest path - I said he was kinda stuck with both weights being tough and having defending champs returning. All things being equal - he could eat. He could be tougher up a weight as well.  Also, I was responding to Husker Du's comment - so there is context there. 

On 5/7/2022 at 2:53 AM, Husker_Du said:

I'd be shocked if Glory didn't move up to 133 fwiw

I haven't heard anything, but I know he had problems making 125 at times this past year.  Doesn't mean he's outgrown the weight, might have lost focus for awhile.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:06 PM, lu_alum said:

My best guess:

125:  Seymour / Bailey / Lane

133:  Lane / Paetzell / Bailey / *Crookham (RS)

141:  Hines / McGonagle / *Crookham (RS)

149:  Brignola / Bryant

157:  Humphreys

165:  Meyer / Logan

174:  Lawrence

184:  Burkhart

197:  Beard (*Garcia provides depth after FB season)

285:  Taylor

Thanks my projection would be:

125: Seymour / Lane

133: Paetzall / Bailey

141: Hines/ McGonagale / Moran

149: Brignola/ Bryant / Hoffman

157: Humphreys / Martin / Frinzi

165: Meyer / Lawrence 

174: Logan 

184: Burkhardt / Grape 

197: Beard / Garcia/ Jones / Davis

285: Taylor / Lacombe

Hoffman, Grape, and Lacombe have graduated; we won't see them.

Based on what I've heard (some rumors, some not) I don't expect to see Lane again at 125 unless everyone else who can make the weight is injured; Lawrence probably at 174; Caden Rogers possibly in the mix at 184 as a true freshman; Garcia will wrestle this year (though the source was silent on if he'll be unavailable until after football season, what weight he'll be at, and that was before the Beard transfer was announced).

Guesswork on my part -- Brignola might redshirt this year with Bryant handling 149; my information on Paetzell (will never see 125 again) is from two seasons ago in the aftermath of a couple of medical issues, so maybe now 125 is possible again; a few guys seemed to be in-between weights last year (it appeared to be obvious) so although our wrestlers tend to move up in weight during their careers, this season could be an exception; I'm expecting Seymour to r/s somewhere along the way, but this year doesn't appear to be favorable; I'm doubtful about Hines moving up (and I thought Bailey looked pretty thin for 133 this past season).

This won't all happen, but the potential is there for this starting lineup:

Paetzell, Crookham, Hines/McGonagle/Munch, Bryant, Humphreys, Meyer/Logan, Lawrence, Rogers, Beard, Taylor.  If so, I like our chances at EIWAs and for more than two All-Americans.  But some of these guys have to prove themselves over the course of a Div I season.

20 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:
  On 5/5/2022 at 8:06 PM, lu_alum said:

My best guess:

125:  Seymour / Bailey / Lane

133:  Lane / Paetzell / Bailey / *Crookham (RS)

141:  Hines / McGonagle / *Crookham (RS)

149:  Brignola / Bryant

157:  Humphreys

165:  Meyer / Logan

174:  Lawrence

184:  Burkhart

197:  Beard (*Garcia provides depth after FB season)

285:  Taylor

Thanks my projection would be:

125: Seymour / Lane

133: Paetzall / Bailey

141: Hines/ McGonagale / Moran

149: Brignola/ Bryant / Hoffman

157: Humphreys / Martin / Frinzi

165: Meyer / Lawrence 

174: Logan 

184: Burkhardt / Grape 

197: Beard / Garcia/ Jones / Davis

285: Taylor / Lacombe

Hoffman, Grape, and Lacombe have graduated; we won't see them.

Based on what I've heard (some rumors, some not) I don't expect to see Lane again at 125 unless everyone else who can make the weight is injured; Lawrence probably at 174; Caden Rogers possibly in the mix at 184 as a true freshman; Garcia will wrestle this year (though the source was silent on if he'll be unavailable until after football season, what weight he'll be at, and that was before the Beard transfer was announced).

Guesswork on my part -- Brignola might redshirt this year with Bryant handling 149; my information on Paetzell (will never see 125 again) is from two seasons ago in the aftermath of a couple of medical issues, so maybe now 125 is possible again; a few guys seemed to be in-between weights last year (it appeared to be obvious) so although our wrestlers tend to move up in weight during their careers, this season could be an exception; I'm expecting Seymour to r/s somewhere along the way, but this year doesn't appear to be favorable; I'm doubtful about Hines moving up (and I thought Bailey looked pretty thin for 133 this past season).

This won't all happen, but the potential is there for this starting lineup:

Paetzell, Crookham, Hines/McGonagle/Munch, Bryant, Humphreys, Meyer/Logan, Lawrence, Rogers, Beard, Taylor.  If so, I like our chances at EIWAs and for more than two All-Americans.  But some of these guys have to prove themselves over the course of a Div I season.

very interesting roster and could be a lot of guys ready to press for AA!

Any possibility of Garcia or Beard going to HWT?  Garcia has a goal of being a successful RB so I think 215-225 is the most he will want to weight at all, ever.  He is 5'10" tall too, at that.  Beard is probably a few inches taller, yeah?

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Any possibility of Garcia or Beard going to HWT?  Garcia has a goal of being a successful RB so I think 215-225 is the most he will want to weight at all, ever.  He is 5'10" tall too, at that.  Beard is probably a few inches taller, yeah?

I think it's unlikely.  I looked up Beard's prep career and he went 170-180-195-195, then a greyshirt year, then three years at 197 at Penn State.  Garcia, as a wrestler, would be a 184/197 IMO.  Plus Lehigh seems happy with Nathan Taylor, who has to cut to make 285.  If they can get all three of them on the mat in the same events they might have an awesome closing threesome.

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Pure speculation but I feel like I could see Beard bumping to heavy.  His body type seems kinda similar to a Cassar

3 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

I think it's unlikely.  I looked up Beard's prep career and he went 170-180-195-195, then a greyshirt year, then three years at 197 at Penn State.  Garcia, as a wrestler, would be a 184/197 IMO.  Plus Lehigh seems happy with Nathan Taylor, who has to cut to make 285.  If they can get all three of them on the mat in the same events they might have an awesome closing threesome.

Garcia is billed as 5'10" and 215lbs on their football roster page.  He isn't going 184.