Brown U. Coach Stepping Down

Just now, gimpeltf said:

This is what made me think it was a "mutually agreed upon decision"

Yeah, Brown said he was fired and he agreed he was fired. I joke. But it's certainly possible he was fired and given a soft place to land. I have no information, but it's possible given his record.

37 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I didn’t think the article was totally clear that he was taking another position at Brown, but seems possible if not likely.  However it was pretty clear IMO that he wasn’t fired.

But yeah, he specifically talked about being able to spend more time with his family.

I am hoping whoever takes the Brown HC job says they did it because they wanted to spend less time with their family.

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am hoping whoever takes the Brown HC job says they did it because they wanted to spend less time with their family.

Or maybe Brown should look for a candidate who's family wants to spend less time with him.  How's your resume?  :)

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

Or maybe Brown should look for a candidate who's family wants to spend less time with him.  How's your resume?  :)

We have a report of shots fired.

Besides, I have been pretty clear about my knowledge of wrestling, and therefore, my qualification for the job.

Now, if they need someone to make pretty pictures of their data...

And as for my family...OK, well, fair.

3 hours ago, NJDan said:

I was actually suggesting that he was fired, but they allowed him to step down. Of course, I don't know.

he was fired but given a job in the athletic department? bad take, dan. even for you. 

4 minutes ago, TFBJR said:

So name one.  Don't be a victim 

Don't be a victim by pointing out the obvious hiring process trends in college sports? Weird post buddy. 

2 hours ago, moodybooty said:

Beckerman's a great guy and a great coach. Hope he does well -- Penn had a big uptick after Valenti transitioned to admin work from coaching, and I'm hoping for a similar result here.

Awhile ago, Brown had Ophir Bernstein, a 4-time qualifer and 1-time AA. Brown's mascot is the Bears.. so.. he was the Bernstein bear. Close enough to The Berenstain Bears. I was very entertained by that when he was wrestling.

Big uptick? How so? 

1 hour ago, TheHeel said:

he was fired but given a job in the athletic department? bad take, dan. even for you. 

Why is this impossible? He was an ineffective, losing coach. That does not mean he can't do well at something else.

2 hours ago, TheHeel said:

I haven't heard a single minority candidate name so far. Pay attention, team TheMatForum. 

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

So anyway, who could be some potential hires here?

It doesn't look like they have an Associate Head Coach listed, next in line would probably be Darrius Little, a former AA at NC State who was also a lightweights coach at Lehigh when Darian Cruz won his title.

On the other hand, Princeton lists 2 Associate Head Coaches in Joe Dubuque and Sean Gray.  Would one of them consider this job?   Apparently Gray had coached at Boston U so does have some of the New England connection.

https://brownbears.com/sports/wrestling/roster/coaches/darrius-little/5915

6 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Why is this impossible? He was an ineffective, losing coach. That does not mean he can't do well at something else.

Ha the Philadelphia Phillies have actually been known to do that

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I don't care what they say about you, you are a gift. Don't change. 

Common for schools to take care of retiring coaches with an administrative position.  Can think of many examples in multiple Ivy and other programs.  This is not a for-profit business squeezing expenses to improve the quarterly numbers - part of the culture is taking care of loyal servants of the school.  

40 minutes ago, Elevator said:

Common for schools to take care of retiring coaches with an administrative position.  Can think of many examples in multiple Ivy and other programs.  This is not a for-profit business squeezing expenses to improve the quarterly numbers - part of the culture is taking care of loyal servants of the school.  

Retiring?  He’s probably under 45

My dad used to tell me that since Brown was one of their rival schools, their chant during football games would be one side of the visiting or away stands loudly chanting what color s--- was and then answering themselves by saying Brown. And who said you needed sophisticated insults in the Ivy League. Also his brother ended up graduating from Brown. 

For more effective recruiting that should benefit prospective student athletes especially as well as coaches and programs, of particular interest could be data from retrospective longitudinal studies correlating individual NCAA wrestling AAs with their eventual career choices and levels of success.  As an example, among recent Cornell and Brown alumni, ratios of college Coaches versus other professionals (eg. Entrepreneurs, Doctors, Lawyers, Investment Bankers, etc) are reversed.

This is a tough job.

My first choice would be Joe Dubuque. I don’t know if he’d leave a great situation at Princeton, though. But if the alumni are serious about supporting wrestling, they should offer him a substantial package.