Brown U. Coach Stepping Down

3 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

This is a tough job.

My first choice would be Joe Dubuque. I don’t know if he’d leave a great situation at Princeton, though. But if the alumni are serious about supporting wrestling, they should offer him a substantial package. 

Agree 100%.

I always thought Buxton would be a good fit here. But maybe that ship has sailed. 

or perhaps another successful private wresting academy/post-grad coach. 

Edited by scribe

On 5/6/2022 at 12:51 PM, TheHeel said:

I haven't heard a single minority candidate name so far. Pay attention, team TheMatForum. 

Have you seen a photo of Darrius Little recently?

On 5/8/2022 at 8:34 AM, IronChef said:

You don't need to respond to JimmyTheHeel

Isn't replying to someone who is replying to my comment the same thing? Weird, but true!

9 hours ago, IronChef said:

What capacity would you expect?

for head Judo coach? because that is the only way it makes any sense. does anyone have a link to the job posting? is the position still open? if not, does anyone have any idea as to the timeline?

They need to clean house, you won’t likely get a culture change keeping previous staff members on such as Michigan St. MSU has improved a little but no major impact. In general the guys in the big name category will not take these types of jobs. Here is a minority candidate name:Tony Ramos. He seems happy at UNC but I would like to see him get a shot as a head coach. 

11 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

They need to clean house, you won’t likely get a culture change keeping previous staff members on such as Michigan St. MSU has improved a little but no major impact. In general the guys in the big name category will not take these types of jobs. Here is a minority candidate name:Tony Ramos. He seems happy at UNC but I would like to see him get a shot as a head coach. 

Maybe the longer tenured assistants, sure. Transitioning from negative culture is important. I would think, the new HC would try to keep Jesse around if possible. He's a talented athlete. If he can pass along anything he learned from Jeremy Hunter at Illinois, who has 20+ years of producing solid light weights, he would be beneficial to a successful transition. 

Tony would be a good get. But I would think that Todd would tell him that its difficult making the jump from coaching athletes at a UNC to Brown. So Tony might benefit from another stop before jumping into an Ivy League position. Patience is required from the jump and progress is slow. Which might work against any coach moving into this position. The AD might be hoping for a quick turnaround. 

Good luck to whoever gets this gig. 

PS. Can I get a work out T and shorts?  Apparently, I have a match to prepare for and beach season is coming. 

On 5/6/2022 at 8:07 AM, NJDan said:

I was actually suggesting that he was fired, but they allowed him to step down. Of course, I don't know.

is there any reason that he would be fired? they weren't an elite program, sure, but I always understood Beckerman to be excellent, controversy free, well liked and professional? am I wrong? 

27 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

is there any reason that he would be fired? they weren't an elite program, sure, but I always understood Beckerman to be excellent, controversy free, well liked and professional? am I wrong? 

The reason might be that he has a terrible record overall. This year in particular the team won 6 out of 50 matches against Ivy opponents. Like I said, I don't know if Brown much cares, but if Brown cares at all, this record might be deemed a problem.  You say that Beckerman is "excellent, controversy free, well liked." I don't know how well he is liked-- and I have nothing against the guy-- but how is he "excellent"?

26 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

From the BrownBears website:

image.png.6d02e5a2bcdb89365d721a0230544988.png

Not anything remarkable, but it did look as if he had the progrm on an upswing from 2016 thru 2019.  2020 to 2021 slidback a bit, but given Covid impact - can't say he should be criticized for that.

4 minutes ago, red blades said:

Not anything remarkable, but it did look as if he had the progrm on an upswing from 2016 thru 2019.  2020 to 2021 slidback a bit, but given Covid impact - can't say he should be criticized for that.

Problem is, like you, to him this was acceptable.

12 minutes ago, red blades said:

This year, Brown was 4-9, with the wins coming against Bellarmine, Hofstra, LIU and Sacred Heart. They were shut out by Purdue and Columbia. Their top finisher in the EIWA was 8th. No NCAA qualifiers. That's bad.

Edited by NJDan
add stuff

3 minutes ago, wreferee said:

Problem is, like you, to him this was acceptable.

No; I think the question should be, how much is enough time, and with what resources?  Rob Koll took over a 10th place NCAA team from Jake Spates in 1993. Over the next NINE years, Cornell's average placement at NCAA's was... 35th.  Then in 2003, Cornell brought home a 10th place finish - and remained a perennial top 10 team for the remainder of Koll's tenure.

So what changed at Cornell?  I don't think it was just Rob; but it took a while to get all the pieces in the right  place.  I'm just  glad they didn't cut him after 8 seasons for  the "medeocre results".

1 hour ago, red blades said:

No; I think the question should be, how much is enough time, and with what resources?  Rob Koll took over a 10th place NCAA team from Jake Spates in 1993. Over the next NINE years, Cornell's average placement at NCAA's was... 35th.  Then in 2003, Cornell brought home a 10th place finish - and remained a perennial top 10 team for the remainder of Koll's tenure.

So what changed at Cornell?  I don't think it was just Rob; but it took a while to get all the pieces in the right  place.  I'm just  glad they didn't cut him after 8 seasons for  the "medeocre results".

Not unsurprisingly, mediocre spelling is also acceptable in your world.

1 hour ago, red blades said:

What you say about Cornell and Koll is entirely misleading. In Koll's first 10 years, Cornell never finished worse than 4th in the EIWA and never failed to have a winning record in the Ivies. Beckerman had only one winning record in the Ivies and I doubt was ever in the top half of the EIWA. 

Heh,heh. GOTCHA. As a literary device/construct, the modern usage of the double negative emphasizing a satirical positive was employed most expertly by such as the late Frank Zappa to entrap and often humiliate.

2 minutes ago, wreferee said:

Heh,heh. GOTCHA. As a literary device/construct, the modern usage of the double negative emphasizing a satirical positive was employed most expertly by such as the late Frank Zappa to entrap and often humiliate.

You give yourself waaaaay too much credit.