Jump to content
1032004

Brown U. Coach Stepping Down

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, jp157 said:

So we’re comparing Brown.. who’s program was very nearly cut not that long ago and is entirely funded through alumni like Bakersfield.. to Cornell.. 

 

Not yet and not quite accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2022 at 9:17 PM, TheHeel said:

for head Judo coach? because that is the only way it makes any sense. does anyone have a link to the job posting? is the position still open? if not, does anyone have any idea as to the timeline?

Obviously he was more successful in Judo than wrestling but he was a round of 12 guy in wrestling, a graduate, and an Olympian.  He has coached successfully for years in Judo within hours of the school.  I'm not really suggesting he should be the head coach at all.  I did say "in some capacity".  I have seen assistants that offer far less.  Since this is a wrestling board, do you think a struggling judo club could potentially benefit from adding a gold medalist in wrestling with years of high level coaching success in his sport?  

 

This is all hypothetical of course.  He wrestled at the same time I did in college so his name jumps out to me.  Seems like a lot of upside if he wanted to get involved and help reshape the program.  I think the old mindset that wrestling credentials equate to coaching aptitude can often be a bit flawed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer:  Brown grad AD Grace Calhoun.  Longer:  Groundbreaking commitment to ALL athletics established with President Paxson.  Significant Wrestling program changes:  a) budget increases to include moving all coaches salaries from at or near bottom to median or above. b) greater integration of the RTC to include increased sharing of facilities c) seriously REALISTIC plans for growth/improvement including specific targets with timelines and d) more alumni/a support especially in recognition/appreciation of particular accomplishments at other Ivies led by Friedman, Pottruck and Novogratz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, red blades said:

No; I think the question should be, how much is enough time, and with what resources?  Rob Koll took over a 10th place NCAA team from Jake Spates in 1993. Over the next NINE years, Cornell's average placement at NCAA's was... 35th.  Then in 2003, Cornell brought home a 10th place finish - and remained a perennial top 10 team for the remainder of Koll's tenure.

So what changed at Cornell?  I don't think it was just Rob; but it took a while to get all the pieces in the right  place.  I'm just  glad they didn't cut him after 8 seasons for  the "medeocre results".

Took 8 years to get Watenberg, Lee, and Manotti to buy in. Then a lot of good luck with admin support, recruits, coaches, and misc resources. Along with the ability to bend some rules of the NCAA, that other programs didn't think of or(more likely) couldn't take advantage of. Can't argue with the consistency or level of the success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wreferee said:

Short answer:  Brown grad AD Grace Calhoun.  Longer:  Groundbreaking commitment to ALL athletics established with President Paxson.  Significant Wrestling program changes:  a) budget increases to include moving all coaches salaries from at or near bottom to median or above. b) greater integration of the RTC to include increased sharing of facilities c) seriously REALISTIC plans for growth/improvement including specific targets with timelines and d) more alumni/a support especially in recognition/appreciation of particular accomplishments at other Ivies led by Friedman, Pottruck and Novogratz.

Fair enough. So they need an Ayer’s or Dubuque 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Fair enough. So they need an Ayer’s or Dubuque 

Or an appropriately accomplished someone presently “under the radar” with the energy, vision and confidence not only to duplicate or equal but eventually to surpass proven successes of other EIWA as well as Ivy programs.  Sine qua non qualification for ideal candidate:  absolutely unshakable steady determination such as evidenced, for example, by a wrestler that never lost in overtime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ironmonkey said:

Obviously he was more successful in Judo than wrestling but he was a round of 12 guy in wrestling, a graduate, and an Olympian.  He has coached successfully for years in Judo within hours of the school.  I'm not really suggesting he should be the head coach at all.  I did say "in some capacity".  I have seen assistants that offer far less.  Since this is a wrestling board, do you think a struggling judo club could potentially benefit from adding a gold medalist in wrestling with years of high level coaching success in his sport?  

 

This is all hypothetical of course.  He wrestled at the same time I did in college so his name jumps out to me.  Seems like a lot of upside if he wanted to get involved and help reshape the program.  I think the old mindset that wrestling credentials equate to coaching aptitude can often be a bit flawed.  

No, I do not think a high level wrestler would benefit a judo club. The arts are completely different. Judo has a gi, which changes EVERYTHING. no low singles and tilts in judo. Jimmy is great, but he is NOT fit to coach college wrestling at this point in his life. He is very far removed from the sport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wreferee said:

Or an appropriately accomplished someone presently “under the radar” with the energy, vision and confidence not only to duplicate or equal but eventually to surpass proven successes of other EIWA as well as Ivy programs.  Sine qua non qualification for ideal candidate:  absolutely unshakable steady determination such as evidenced, for example, by a wrestler that never lost in overtime.

Yeah, though a good administrator who brings in a good could work. The Rob Koll approach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Chris Ayers did go to Brown and Blair same time frame and weight that Chris Ayres went to Lehigh (Newton) and Blair.

Yeah. An ivy needs someone polished

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jp157 said:

Yeah, though a good administrator who brings in a good could work. The Rob Koll approach 

I think Koll is a bit more than an administrator lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

I think Koll is a bit more than an administrator lol 

It was well known he left a larger chunk of running the room to his assistants than almost any other head coach so that he could fundraise and do admin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

was there trouble with Beckerman? butt heads with admin? athletes didn't like him? or was the program just looking to make a change?

if that was the case I doubt they would have hired him for a role in the athletic department. 

 

does anyone have a timeline on the hiring process? does anyone have a short list of candidates? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

if that was the case I doubt they would have hired him for a role in the athletic department. 

 

does anyone have a timeline on the hiring process? does anyone have a short list of candidates? 

Off the top of my head: 

Bryan Pearsall A. HC from Penn (I can't see the HC staying there much longer without a lot more success, so its risky)

Brad Dillon A. HC at Lehigh(Santoro might not be long for his job so this is a long shot)

Zach Tanelli HC of Columbia, getting out of the big city could be beneficial 

Jamie Franco A. HC at Hofstra, not a huge leap to the other side of the sound

Jimmy Sheptock, AC at Harvard, jump into the deep end after a few years in Boston

Paulson Brothers, striking out on their own, could create some, much needed, buzz in Providence. 

Jordan Leen, A. HC at Pitt, could work

Adam Hall, A. HC at NC State, might be a leap

Ty Eustice, AC at Davidson, not sure of his HC ambitions but similar recruiting pool, academically 

Tyrell Todd, A. HC at Missouri, Smith tends to hire ambitious coaches

Troy Nickerson, HC UNC(the other one), brings him closer to home, the Ivy League and NY

Mark Perry, honey badger don't give a sh... 

Derek Moore, very outside chance

Nate Engel, A. HC OSU(other one), probably won't jump ship so early in tenure

Trevor Branvold, AC at Minnesota, I can see this young guy taking on a challenge early in his career

Jon Reader, A. HC at Wisconsin, I don't see him leaving at this point, but who knows

David Bolyard, AC at Michigan, former HC. Might be a good time in his career to take another swing

Not a comprehensive list by any means and in no particular order(you can probably tell I started moving west at some point). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bardamu911 said:

was there trouble with Beckerman? butt heads with admin? athletes didn't like him? or was the program just looking to make a change?

According to the original article it seemed it was his decision so that he could spend more time with his family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...