Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

If Dake beat JB he wouldn't have automatically been on team?

Is it true for worlds that b/c JB was a gold medal winner in last years Olympics, Dake would still have had to outperform JB in an international tourney before Sept in order for him to get the spot on the USA World team? I know there used to be some sort of rule like that but not sure it is still in place and not sure if applies to Worlds or just the Olympics.

No he wouldn't have automatically been on the team since Burroughs was a returning medalist. The National Coaches have a couple of selected tournaments after trials that they would send people to in order to gauge who would perform best on the world stage. So if Dake beat Burroughs at the trials, he would have to outperform Burroughs at in international tournament this summer. I like this rule because helps reduce fluke matches from determining the team and also helps cut down potential style matchups could affect who makes the US team. Take Cael Sanderson and Lee Fullhart. Fullhart always wrestled Sanderson tough and close and even took some matches from him but Cael performed better than Fullhart on the international level.

yeah it is to keep guys like slay from keeping joe williams off the team, oh wait.... i actually do like it, but there are a few cases that will go against it. i don't think slay had any great international performances prior to his 2000 olympics. williams didn't exactly make the criteria because he was 4th in 99. they did take out the major international win+ us open (shawn bunch) didn't they?

yeah it is to keep guys like slay from keeping joe williams off the team, oh wait.... i actually do like it, but there are a few cases that will go against it. i don't think slay had any great international performances prior to his 2000 olympics. williams didn't exactly make the criteria because he was 4th in 99. they did take out the major international win+ us open (shawn bunch) didn't they?

Or McCoy from taking in Neal's spot.