Photo

If Dake beat JB he wouldn't have automatically been on team?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Angry_Fish

Angry_Fish

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

Is it true for worlds that b/c JB was a gold medal winner in last years Olympics, Dake would still have had to outperform JB in an international tourney before Sept in order for him to get the spot on the USA World team? I know there used to be some sort of rule like that but not sure it is still in place and not sure if applies to Worlds or just the Olympics.
"Yeah, by far, Flo is the biggest problem in the sport."   --- Lurker

#2 quanon

quanon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

#3 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,105 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:34 AM

No he wouldn't have automatically been on the team since Burroughs was a returning medalist. The National Coaches have a couple of selected tournaments after trials that they would send people to in order to gauge who would perform best on the world stage. So if Dake beat Burroughs at the trials, he would have to outperform Burroughs at in international tournament this summer. I like this rule because helps reduce fluke matches from determining the team and also helps cut down potential style matchups could affect who makes the US team. Take Cael Sanderson and Lee Fullhart. Fullhart always wrestled Sanderson tough and close and even took some matches from him but Cael performed better than Fullhart on the international level.
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#4 sockobuw

sockobuw

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:45 AM

yeah it is to keep guys like slay from keeping joe williams off the team, oh wait.... i actually do like it, but there are a few cases that will go against it. i don't think slay had any great international performances prior to his 2000 olympics. williams didn't exactly make the criteria because he was 4th in 99. they did take out the major international win+ us open (shawn bunch) didn't they?

#5 Plasmodium

Plasmodium

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

That policy wouldn't have prevented Slay from making the team.

#6 sockobuw

sockobuw

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

covered that in the post

#7 jchapman

jchapman

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

yeah it is to keep guys like slay from keeping joe williams off the team, oh wait.... i actually do like it, but there are a few cases that will go against it. i don't think slay had any great international performances prior to his 2000 olympics. williams didn't exactly make the criteria because he was 4th in 99. they did take out the major international win+ us open (shawn bunch) didn't they?

Or McCoy from taking in Neal's spot.

Record Holder:  Most Escapes in a Season

#8 sockobuw

sockobuw

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:58 AM

the problem with mccoy is he didnt medal so it is a great example for the rule to be in place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users