Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Idaho

How are Your Recruiting Classes Coming Along?

Recommended Posts

We need a new topic to discuss.... obviously all the info is out there, but how are you feeling about your recruiting classes for 22 and 23? What weights are needed down the road? 

Oregon State: 

2022 -Ranked #19 -  3x WA champ Isaiah Anderson- ranked, 4x OR champ Nash Singleton - ranked, 2x AZ champ Austin Scott, MN champ Chase DeBlaere- ranked, 2x CA placer Noah Tolentino, 4x OR champ Ayden Garver, 3x WA champ CJ Hamblin - ranked, 4x OR champ Gabe WHisenhunt - ranked, 2x CA placer Damion Elliot, Transer Tristan Lara 149 

2023 -  DJ Gillett - 3x OR state champ, ranked, Dagen Condomitti - 2x PA placer (will be ranked) , Cade White - 2x ID champ

Coaching staff is doing an excellent job. They are keeping more guys on the roster than most teams. Great culture and the room gets tougher every year. Great group of  young men coming in the next two years.  Recruiting could use another HWT or two IMO. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Idaho said:

We need a new topic to discuss.... obviously all the info is out there, but how are you feeling about your recruiting classes for 22 and 23? What weights are needed down the road? 

Oregon State: 

2022 -Ranked #19 -  3x WA champ Isaiah Anderson- ranked, 4x OR champ Nash Singleton - ranked, 2x AZ champ Austin Scott, MN champ Chase DeBlaere- ranked, 2x CA placer Noah Tolentino, 4x OR champ Ayden Garver, 3x WA champ CJ Hamblin - ranked, 4x OR champ Gabe WHisenhunt - ranked, 2x CA placer Damion Elliot, Transer Tristan Lara 149 

2023 -  DJ Gillett - 3x OR state champ, ranked, Dagen Condomitti - 2x PA placer (will be ranked) , Cade White - 2x ID champ

Coaching staff is doing an excellent job. They are keeping more guys on the roster than most teams. Great culture and the room gets tougher every year. Great group of  young men coming in the next two years.  Recruiting could use another HWT or two IMO. 

 

How have Oregon/Washington state champions done at the D1 level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, klehner said:

How have Oregon/Washington state champions done at the D1 level?

They do alright.  Is there room for improvement?  Absolutely.

Just a quick list off the top of my head for the last 10 years of so (OR  heavy, I am not super familiar with WA).

Tyler Berger-NCAA finalist, Nick Amuchasteui-2x NCAA finalist, Zack Brunson-AA, Travis Wittlake-AA, Brandon Kaylor-AA, RJ Pena-AA, Taylor Meeks-AA, Colby Covington-AA, Colin Purinton-Covid cancelled NCAAs, Ronnie Bresser-AA, Michael Mangrum-AA, Chad Hanke, Eleazar Deluca, Tanner Harvey, Austin Harris, ...  I am sure I am missing a few tough ones.  Matt Gentry-NCAA champ is an Oregonian (I am aware that was nearly 20 years ago).

There are some up and comers that will hopefully have some success (Lamers, Rowley, Singleton, Walters).  

Some other notables:  Osa Odighizuwa-playing for the Dallas Cowboys, Tyrell Fortune-MMA, Chael Sonnen-can't forget the Oregon gangster :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klehner said:

How have Oregon/Washington state champions done at the D1 level?

Hit and miss. I think the NW has gotten much tougher as a whole in recent years - Wittlake, Lamers, Fagan, Lovett, Rogers (TBD), Rowley (TBD), Walters (TBD- and unsigned so far), etc... More kids are definitely going NAIA and D2 in NW than D1. 

Some of these recruits have hit national level tournaments   and done  well and  some are a little less proven on a national level, but overall it's the best class (22) that OSU has had in awhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jp157 said:

The schools I root the most for are getting solid but not eye popping recruits.

The class I’m most curious about is Ohio states and if it’ll pan out

What are your schools? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://thesundevils.com/news/2021/12/8/wrestling-sun-devils-bolster-roster-with-eight-signees.aspx
 

ASU added a solid class in 2022. Yas, Larkin and Kilic give legit starting potential and depth at the lower/middle weights. Some depth pieces at the upper weight. Schunke signing hopefully means they have the inside track to his brother coming. Glad to see that they are finally adding some depth. Couple more guys signed after this article also. 
 

Nico Ruiz has the 2023 class off to a good start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gobraves101905 said:

https://thesundevils.com/news/2021/12/8/wrestling-sun-devils-bolster-roster-with-eight-signees.aspx
 

ASU added a solid class in 2022. Yas, Larkin and Kilic give legit starting potential and depth at the lower/middle weights. Some depth pieces at the upper weight. Schunke signing hopefully means they have the inside track to his brother coming. Glad to see that they are finally adding some depth. Couple more guys signed after this article also. 
 

Nico Ruiz has the 2023 class off to a good start. 

I've always been impressed with Larkin - Can't help but think they will get his brother as well.  Ysaguirre has looked good this off season as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Idaho and OR do a great job representing the Pacific Northwest, especially from a personal character perspective.  Is any region classier as represented by posters on this board?  I dont think so.  

Heathens and scoundrels, the lot of them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Idaho said:

I've always been impressed with Larkin - Can't help but think they will get his brother as well.  Ysaguirre has looked good this off season as well. 

Angel Cejudo doesn’t receive the recognition he deserves at the high school level. He is doing great things coaching these kids in Arizona. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Idaho said:

Nice class. Who are the crown jewels in the class? Cosgrove and Mougalian? 

Seems like a deep class even after those two.  Several others w high finishes in folkstyle high school at very tough states and some freestyle accomplishments.  Looks like Trocynski is a 2x NJ champ and in some rankings by those who study this.  Almeyda is a 4x NJ placer - not easy.  Polo is a NY Champ and 4x placer.  I think Swisher has been in some rankings and should be pretty tough.  Anybody from Ohio familar with Bennet or Seefeldt - seem very interesting?  A Canadian wrestler too!   

Thing is, Penn returns 9 NCAA qualifiers and I'd guess most of these guys are likely to get a year in the program before pressing for varsity mat time.   

Edited by Elevator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

wait a second - you don't think that Pendleton will leave oregon state as soon as he can? come on, man. oregon state is not a destination coaching job. its a place holder. you really think those 3 and 4 timers from oregon and washington will pan out? there are 5 divisions in oregon. state titles there are paper thin. washington, an even worse wrestling state, has 6 divisions. this isn't a good recruiting class, and pendleton will 100% be at a real wrestling school as soon as he can get hired. 

Are you going to share your thoughts on your team's recruiting classes or are you just here to talk about people you don't know? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Are you going to share your thoughts on your team's recruiting classes or are you just here to talk about people you don't know? 

I am going to point out that washington and oregon's top guys don't go to oregon state. they never have. never will. this isn't a great recruiting class. its middle of the pack. I don't want to talk about my teams recruiting class. I don't care until a kid is on campus and in the lineup. Too much happens between commitment and stepping on the mat as a starter to care about recruiting. 

 

I'd rather have a team of place winners from Ohio and PA than a team of champs from Oregon and WA

Edited by TheHeel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheHeel said:

I am going to point out that washington and oregon's top guys don't go to oregon state. they never have. never will. this isn't a great recruiting class. its middle of the pack. I don't want to talk about my teams recruiting class. I don't care until a kid is on campus and in the lineup. Too much happens between commitment and stepping on the mat as a starter to care about recruiting. 

"never will" .... that's funny. Who said it was "great" besides you? I guess all the rankings of classes are way off this year. Now who is your team again...I will talk about them if you won't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Idaho said:

"never will" .... that's funny. Who said it was "great" besides you? I guess all the rankings of classes are way off this year. Now who is your team again...I will talk about them if you won't. 

where are the top 5 kids from oregon going this year? what about washington?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Both state champs in the big division in Ohio. They wrestled at STED. Serviceable indeed.

Is the big division similar to AAA for larger schools in PA?  Seems promising!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

Angel Cejudo doesn’t receive the recognition he deserves at the high school level. He is doing great things coaching these kids in Arizona. 

AZ is getting better as a high school state. ASU getting better can only help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

I am going to point out that washington and oregon's top guys don't go to oregon state. they never have. never will. this isn't a great recruiting class. its middle of the pack. I don't want to talk about my teams recruiting class. I don't care until a kid is on campus and in the lineup. Too much happens between commitment and stepping on the mat as a starter to care about recruiting. 

 

I'd rather have a team of place winners from Ohio and PA than a team of champs from Oregon and WA

If Oregon State could keep all their Oregon and Washington studs home, and sprinkle in a few other kids from California/Idaho or elsewhere in their lineup they can be formidable.

2012 and 2013 are examples.  

2012 - Oregon State finished 10th as a team with 3 AA's.  Mangrum-WA(AA),  Sakaguchi-CA(AA), Jack-CA(AA), Pena-OR, Meeks-WA, Drucker-CA, Vinson(MT), Rollins (NE).

2013 - Oregon State finished 8th as a team with 3 AA's.  Pena-OR(AA), Meeks-WA(AA), Sakaguchi-CA(AA), Mangrum-WA, Hanke-OR, Weishoff-OR, Vinson-MT.

This year Oregon is losing a lot of talent to out of state programs.  Rowley (Wisconsin), Lamer (Michigan), Walters (Michigan), and Byers (Stanford) are examples.  Drew Roberts grew up wrestling in Oregon also and is going to Minnesota.  If all of these guys stayed home and joined the class that @Idaho mentioned above I think you have the potential for something big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...