I am a bit confused. Perhaps you all can clear up my confusion.

I was reading @Jon_Kozak's seeding article on Flo and the first sentence of the 65kg section states, "We know Kendric Maple will hold the top seed at World Team Trials." Similar statements are made at many other weights. But when I look at the "2022 General World Team Trials" document there is no specific reference to the US Open results as the first determinant.

Instead it talks of a seeding committee comprised of coaches voting on motions and it talks of criteria to be used in rank order: head-to-head from 2020 Sr Nats to now, Common Opponents from 2020 Sr Nats to now, Medalists at a UWW calendar event from Jan 2021 to now (presumably this is where the US Open comes in).

Perhaps the answer is that there are no situations where the first two criteria apply so the third effectively becomes first? So with Kendric Maple coming out of retirement and winning the US Open by beating none of the other top ranked guys at 65kg (McKenna went to Pan Ams instead), does he really automatically get the #1 seed?

Or could McKenna, as a gold medalist at a different UWW calendar event (which I am presuming Pan Ams is), and with a head-to-head over Diakomihalis at OTT, get the #1 seed?

Or does Diakomihalis, as the most recent WTT winner at the weight, with a head-to-head over McKenna, get the #1 seed?

Etc., etc.

But I guess my real question is does the US Open winner automatically get the #1 seed at every weight as implied in the article?

Per 2022 World Team Trials Qualification & Procedures Men’s Freestyle (published September 21, 2021)

You are looking for article 1.H.I

World Team Trials Challenge Tournament – May 20-22, 2022 @ Coralville, IA (all 10 weights)

1) Wrestlers who meet the following criteria will qualify for the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament:

h. April 2022 Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S. Open Championships - top 7 place finisher per weight class

i. U.S. Open champions will receive the #1 seed at the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament.

50 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Per 2022 World Team Trials Qualification & Procedures Men’s Freestyle (published September 21, 2021)

You are looking for article 1.H.I

World Team Trials Challenge Tournament – May 20-22, 2022 @ Coralville, IA (all 10 weights)

1) Wrestlers who meet the following criteria will qualify for the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament:

h. April 2022 Senior Men’s Freestyle U.S. Open Championships - top 7 place finisher per weight class

i. U.S. Open champions will receive the #1 seed at the World Team Trials Challenge Tournament.

Ah, missed that

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

15 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Since OP brought up 65 kg, how do you guys think it will be seeded?

1) Maple, 2) McKenna, 3) Diakomihalis, 4) N. Lee?

Yianni will be the 2 seed because he won the 2021 WTT over McKenna, but they meet in the semis regardless. It's a shame neither went to the Open to snag the 1 seed and get the best of three the fans deserve, but at the same time neither can complain about a bad call that costs them the match because this is the path they chose.

Edit to add: If USAW asks you to go to Pan-Ams, you should be included in 1 seed criteria. Nothing against Maple, but he wasn't asked to rep the team and the ladder should get priority but this creates a real tough conflict of interests.

Edited by bnwtwg

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Yianni will be the 2 seed because he won the 2021 WTT over McKenna, but they meet in the semis regardless. It's a shame neither went to the Open to snag the 1 seed and get the best of three the fans deserve, but at the same time neither can complain about a bad call that costs them the match because this is the path they chose.

Edit to add: If USAW asks you to go to Pan-Ams, you should be included in 1 seed criteria. Nothing against Maple, but he wasn't asked to rep the team and the ladder should get priority but this creates a real tough conflict of interests.

That is the really odd part to me. By accepting the invitation to represent your country this time, you lose the shot at being the #1 seed in the tourney that decides who will represent your country next time.

USAW giveth with the right hand, and taketh with the left. Or to quote Tom Waits, "The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."

That is the really odd part to me. By accepting the invitation to represent your country this time, you lose the shot at being the #1 seed in the tourney that decides who will represent your country next time.

USAW giveth with the right hand, and taketh with the left. Or to quote Tom Waits, "The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away."

But what happens if you go to Pan Ams but get Destribatitus and don’t wrestle? Then what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Nick Lee just registered at 65 KG.

2 seed, yeah?  Or will he be gifted a 4 seed?

I bet 4 seed because of WTT recency superseding OTT. Seeding criteria below in bold:

1) Maple (Auto #1 as 2022 US Open champ)

2) Yianni (2021 World rep, 4th OTT)

3) McKenna (2021 WTT runner-up, OTT runner-up)

4) Lee (4th OTT, beat Yianni in 3rd place Olympic ladder match)

6 hours ago, Mphillips said:

Looks like you could register up until 20 minutes ago...  : )

Can register all week.  Have to register before 11 PM tonight to be seeded, though.  Not sure if that means US-Eastern or Central time, though.  Safe to say that if they aren't officially registered (paid) in the next four hours they will not be seeded.

47 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Can register all week.  Have to register before 11 PM tonight to be seeded, though.  Not sure if that means US-Eastern or Central time, though.  Safe to say that if they aren't officially registered (paid) in the next four hours they will not be seeded.

Pay to seed...

8 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

Pay to seed...

Anyone registered after the 6th has to pay entry, as it were anyways - with the exception of those who qualified via Last Chance.

After today it is considered late entry ($100).

Edited by nhs67

21 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

@Jon_Kozak

You included Aaron Brooks.  Do you know something?  He isn't registered as of now?

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/7744657-projecting-the-2022-world-team-trials-seeds

He is not registered. Nick Lee did register yesterday. There are so many wrestlers included in the seed projections in that article that they will need to re-write it. I am going post a lit of NCAA top 3 Finishers actually registered for WTT. It is a low percentage.