He also moved up to 92kg, so much of this is moot. Funny guy. Signs up in time to get seeded, then switches up at the last second once he’s already in Iowa (He was tweeting from Des Moines yesterday).

I do wonder a lot about the guy. Doesn’t get much engagement on Twitter. Makes technically true but morally broad claims about his accomplishments. Goes far into things but doesn’t follow through. I wonder how much his heel-act plays into how we see him, because truth be told, he’s a decent wrestler.

With 86 they can just move gents up.  At 92 do they re-seed (he was registered before the deadline) or do they let it slide.

Pretty sure he is 0-4 at 92 the past year and a half anyways yeah?

43 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

How people act when they're locked up for violating quarantine laws. :  r/memes

Spit my Oat Milk White Chocolate Mocha out my nose while I was waiting for a conference call to start.

Good thing I had five minutes to clean up.  A familiar scenario I was easily able to do within two minutes.

On 5/18/2022 at 2:26 PM, nhs67 said:

I think Downey is a lot better than we all tend to give him credit for.  He 10-0 teched Aaron Brooks at OTT.  

It was in the consolation bracket of last year's Olympic Trials.  I think Aaron takes him if they wrestle again.

6 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

It was in the consolation bracket of last year's Olympic Trials.  I think Aaron takes him if they wrestle again.

Shaka - This also how you feel about Lee beating Yianni?  In consi bracket at OTTs so let’s heavily discount the result …  Just curious.

General note to all —-

Downey has very obviously been an outstanding wrestler many times.  I’m not sure anyone can disagree.  That said, his approach to much in life is a magnet for criticism, ridicule, and people rooting against him.  It is what it is.

7 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

You promised not to tell.

Hey, man.  I told you you didn't have to subscribe separately on each device.  You could have used the same logins.

That said, I do appreciate all three of your $1.99 monthly payments.

11 hours ago, nom said:

Shaka - This also how you feel about Lee beating Yianni?  In consi bracket at OTTs so let’s heavily discount the result …  Just curious.

General note to all —-

Downey has very obviously been an outstanding wrestler many times.  I’m not sure anyone can disagree.  That said, his approach to much in life is a magnet for criticism, ridicule, and people rooting against him.  It is what it is.

Yes and no.  For Aaron and Pat, I discount the results because not only was it in the consolation bracket at OTTs but also because Aaron was 20 or 21 at the time and Pat is almost 30.  Aaron has improved a lot in the past year, while Pat is on the decline of his freestyle career.  

With Yianni and Nick, I think we can discount the results of their match a little due to it taking place on the consolation side of OTTs.  Yianni beat Nick in a previous college folkstyle match and placed higher than him twice at NCAA's (granted these results were not freestyle).  Really looking forward to a potential 3 match series in Final X, as that will show us exactly where each guy is in comparison to the other.  

11 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Yes and no.  For Aaron and Pat, I discount the results because not only was it in the consolation bracket at OTTs but also because Aaron was 20 or 21 at the time and Pat is almost 30.  Aaron has improved a lot in the past year, while Pat is on the decline of his freestyle career.  

With Yianni and Nick, I think we can discount the results of their match a little due to it taking place on the consolation side of OTTs.  Yianni beat Nick in a previous college folkstyle match and placed higher than him twice at NCAA's (granted these results were not freestyle).  Really looking forward to a potential 3 match series in Final X, as that will show us exactly where each guy is in comparison to the other.  

Re: Lee / Diakomihalis, I looked at the same data and came to a different conclusion.

The folkstyle match up was in 2017, so I find that easy to discount. Whereas the freestyle match up was in 2021, so I find it harder to discount. And while I think it will be Lee, I acknowledge that the margins are likely to be razor thin.

44 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

This is true.  However, Yianni appears to have plateaued. Nick Lee is making improvements and has an edge over Yianni for that reason.  There is also the reality that Yianni and McKenna are a coin flip.

Regardless of the result, I don't find a 4 1/2 year old folkstyle match to be particularly useful in predicting a freestyle winner. When you add in the freestyle result from literally last year, I'm not sure why you would even bring it up. It's possible Yianni wasn't at his best in that match, but it sure says a lot more than the semis of the 2017 Bearcat Open.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

This is true.  However, Yianni appears to have plateaued. Nick Lee is making improvements and has an edge over Yianni for that reason.  There is also the reality that Yianni and McKenna are a coin flip.

Now THAT is a hot take!

34 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Could we even call this a WTT if Downey doesn't do something stupid to bring negative attention on himself just before it? 

Did he get zip tied or not?  
Interesting that his issues are always off mat.