Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

US Open & WTTs were Good for Dake and Taylor

Dake had a monster day yesterday against older and more experienced FS wrestlers. I know he has no confidence issues, but taking JB to OT after getting trashed by him in the 1st match has to leave him feeling really encouraged.

As for DT, he had a decent showing against JB in the US Open finals. Yes, he lost to Dake AGAIN (5x in a row) but once again it was a close match that could have gone the other way at the end. I am sure he is beyond frustrated losing to Dake all the time, but I don't think he feels outclassed by the guy (ala JB). I think he feels he will eventually get it done against him -- needs more strength IMO.....ANd then to come back and beat Paulson, Morningstar and tech Howe (by shutout 9-0) has to help his confidence a lot.

I hope all these guys stay healthy and hungry so we can continue to enjoy the show.

I will always be a Taylor fan and I adore the heck outta the guy, but as others have pointed out, he's nowhere near the level that he needs to be PHYSICALLY to compete with the best in the world. Good gas tank and quickness, yes, but perhaps lacking in basic strength and muscle. Maybe he needs to continue hitting the gym and focusing on his strength training; but then again, I wonder if making weight will become problematic. Is he still growing?

I hope Taylor is still growing and continues to fill out. I was on the same type of late bloomer track he was ... 98 pounds frosh year in HS, 165 for me senior year, but when I was 23-24 I finally grew out of being a boy to 225-235 pounds. (6'3") I hope Taylor continues to mature in this regard. Seeing him wrestle as an 84kg beast with all that athleticism and quickness plus the strength would be awesome.

I agree that strength seems to be his only short fall. Dake has the edge there and exploits very well. The real eye opener was to see that Burroughs is more than just a slight edge stronger than Dake yet. I know Dake had his throw, but Burroughs blasted his doubles like butter.

I hope Taylor is still growing and continues to fill out. I was on the same type of late bloomer track he was ... 98 pounds frosh year in HS, 165 for me senior year, but when I was 23-24 I finally grew out of being a boy to 225-235 pounds. (6'3") I hope Taylor continues to mature in this regard. Seeing him wrestle as an 84kg beast with all that athleticism and quickness plus the strength would be awesome.

I agree that strength seems to be his only short fall. Dake has the edge there and exploits very well. The real eye opener was to see that Burroughs is more than just a slight edge stronger than Dake yet. I know Dake had his throw, but Burroughs blasted his doubles like butter.

Those blast doubles are timing, explosiveness, quickness, etc at least as much as strength. I do think that JB's strength helps his defense, positioning and finishing single leg shots decisively. As for Taylor, he doesn't need to bulk up, look at Satiev the greatest 74/76kg wrestler of all time. He didn't have much muscle definition but he threw jacked up opponents all over the mat. Sure, Taylor needs to get stronger, just like everyone still in college making the adjustment to the world stage needs to get stronger - but I think his technique is more important.

I agree with the topic here. It was a good day for both Dake and Taylor as they both join Burroughs on the USA National Team. Taylor illustrated how to salvage a day and continue to make a statement after losing and being sent to the wrestleback bracket.

"Never give up, don't ever give up" - Jimmy Valvano

I do have a question. Taylor's win for true third over Howe won him a spot on the National Team. Did Howe also earn a spot or do you have to finish in the top-3 to make the team?

I agree with the topic here. It was a good day for both Dake and Taylor as they both join Burroughs on the USA National Team. Taylor illustrated how to salvage a day and continue to make a statement after losing and being sent to the wrestleback bracket.

"Never give up, don't ever give up" - Jimmy Valvano

I do have a question. Taylor's win for true third over Howe won him a spot on the National Team. Did Howe also earn a spot or do you have to finish in the top-3 to make the team?

Top 3 for the National Team.

There is a difference between muscle and strength. Some guys have freaky strength and have strong tendons that give them strength without the bulk. I had a slight build but surprised many people with my strength. I would surmise that Saytiev was the same way.