Sign in to follow this  
EM_1996

Thoughts on Russia's Banishment?

The Ukraine invasion is turning into quite a protracted affair and may not be ending well anytime soon.  It just got me thinking to when, if ever, we will see the likes of Sadulaev or Sidakov competing again in events that matter.  I'm not opposed to Russia's exclusion from athletics under the circumstances, but it would still be a shame to have careers like that end abruptly due to politics outside of their control.

On the world stage, sports have always been entwined with politics. And while it is a shame that athletes are affected negatively on occasion by the association, it cannot be ignored that they benefit from the association for more often. The state, writ large, supports athletes directly or indirectly. The bad comes with the good.

You know what's also unfortunate: That Ukrainian civilians (or soldiers for that matter) are killed because of politics, or that Russian civilians cannot sell their in Europe oil because of politics.

The point is there are endless consequences of political decisions having grave consequences on individual who played no role in the formation of those decisions. The point of all sanctions (and the banning of countries from athletic competitions is one of many sanctions) is to impose costs on individuals in order to influence the government. It's indirect pressure, but if it works, it's worth it.

1 hour ago, EM_1996 said:

The Ukraine invasion is turning into quite a protracted affair and may not be ending well anytime soon.  It just got me thinking to when, if ever, we will see the likes of Sadulaev or Sidakov competing again in events that matter.  I'm not opposed to Russia's exclusion from athletics under the circumstances, but it would still be a shame to have careers like that end abruptly due to politics outside of their control.

What about the Ukrainian athletes that are too busy defending their country to participate in sport?  What about the future generations of Ukrainian athletes that won't exist if Russian were to win?  :(

12 hours ago, NJDan said:

You know what's also unfortunate: That Ukrainian civilians (or soldiers for that matter) are killed because of politics, or that Russian civilians cannot sell their in Europe oil because of politics.

The point is there are endless consequences of political decisions having grave consequences on individual who played no role in the formation of those decisions. The point of all sanctions (and the banning of countries from athletic competitions is one of many sanctions) is to impose costs on individuals in order to influence the government. It's indirect pressure, but if it works, it's worth it.

if it works... nothing we have done to russia or china or iran has 'worked' . ever. they wield too much power over us and our partners. see the NBA. etc and we let them in the UN.

i dont disagree with your sentinment. just cynical i guess. 

that said.. many of those russian civilians trying to sell oil are involved with putin and worse.

14 hours ago, EM_1996 said:

These athletes do have an option.  They can renounce their citizenship, move, and compete for another country.

I'd say the same thing if the United States decided they wanted to annex Canada or Mexico and launched an invasion to do so.  

In fact, if that happened, I'd feel so ashamed of what my government did, that I'd WANT to renounce my citizenship and move.

Not that the US and many other countries aren't without blood on their hands for past military misadventures.  But what Russia did is orders of magnitude beyond that.

I see no problem whatsoever with rallying around a principle that (1) if your country tries to expand its territory by invading another country then it should be excluded from all international competitions (among other things), and (2) defecting athletes should be welcomed by other countries so they can gain new citizenship and compete there if they wish.

3 hours ago, GockeS said:

if it works... nothing we have done to russia or china or iran has 'worked' . ever. they wield too much power over us and our partners. see the NBA. etc and we let them in the UN.

i dont disagree with your sentinment. just cynical i guess. 

that said.. many of those russian civilians trying to sell oil are involved with putin and worse.

I would say a great deal has worked-- just over time. Russia is not nearly as oppressive as it once was. It no longer dominates Eastern Europe-- just to name two.

pointless, no reason to make another asterisk year

if illegally occupying land and earning the moral condemnation of the world were a problem, we wouldn't let the Zionist entity compete, but we do. Russia actually has a lot more support worldwide 

2 minutes ago, Weems said:

pointless, no reason to make another asterisk year

if illegally occupying land and earning the moral condemnation of the world were a problem, we wouldn't let the Zionist entity compete, but we do. Russia actually has a lot more support worldwide 

Ok bootlicker

I'm certainly curious to see if some of the Russian superstars take their talents elsewhere.  I'd bet there are a few countries out there that would make them pretty enticing offers.  Or just imagine how the forums would respond if they enrolled at PSU!

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

If I were in charge of sports in someplace like Qatar or Oman, I would open up the checkbook for Sadulaev. 

Wouldn’t Azerbaijan or Georgia be the easiest for the Dagestan guys?  Although no clue on the ability to get paid.

56 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Wouldn’t Azerbaijan or Georgia be the easiest for the Dagestan guys?  Although no clue on the ability to get paid.

Qatar or Oman could pay a lot more. Or the UAE, Kuwait or Bahrain. 

At this time, all signs of disloyalty to Putin are a major risk to people and their families.  I can’t see wrestlers leaving to wrestle elsewhere in this environment.

I view sport as a way to build bridges.  So this exclusion of Russia is sad.  But I get it.  The government sponsored and organized doping program put them on probation (should have been banned).  Invading their neighbor to assert their dominance likely would have resulted in the current ban even if not on probation.  But combined — wow.  

13 hours ago, EM_1996 said:

I'm certainly curious to see if some of the Russian superstars take their talents elsewhere.  I'd bet there are a few countries out there that would make them pretty enticing offers.  Or just imagine how the forums would respond if they enrolled at PSU!

It's one thing to emigrate. But world the world wrestling authorities allow them to just start wrestling for another country? Aren't there rules restricting that sort of thing?