• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Ok -- I'm back -- one more story for now.

I frankly, didn't know Sanders at all.

I never wrestled after my last match my senior year as I was sort of burned out IMO.

Anyway, my junior year I wrestled very hard in the finals to beat Sanders' teammate -- Yatabe.

Right after the match, while I'm still on the side of the mat, Sanders comes up and starts calling me names I've never heard before -- and in between explaining to me all the reasons I'm not fit to carry Yatabe's jock. Frankly, I've rarely encountered less class, even from wrestlers.

I tried to ignore him, as I recall, but he followed me all the way to the commentator (I think Frank Gifford?) harrassing me all the way. I was close to going after him -- and it wouldn't have been a wrestling match -- he really ticked me off.

So that was my only experience with Sanders.

The next year when I beat Yatabe in the finals, Sanders got beat (by Keller), so he was probably out drinking by the time my match rolled around -- lucky me.

So -- Sanders is not my favorite person.

DA

#22 weh

weh

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

DAA interesting - there is no doubt that Sanders was a jerk and drove USA national team coaches nuts, but he sure could wrestle.

#23 KeithLowrance

KeithLowrance
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

Dale,
Thanks for the kind words. You were always a good friend and great teammate. Your ability to perform in matches was matchless. One of the things that I ( and Dale Carr) were always proud of was that we taught you the Granby and you used it 3 times against Yatabe. I loved the thread you had going on the old forum about coaches etc. I should have jumped in, I have some good stories ones too.

It is interesting you brought Uetake's name up. He and I are good friends. The friendship started at the World training camp in 1966 at U of Michigan. Basically we got in a major fight after I took him down 3 straight times( he claims it was the only time he was ever taken down, I think he meant by an American). He punched me and I tore into him and knocked him down. Myron Roderick and Doug Blubaugh pulled us apart. We wrestled everyday for about 10 days, I definitely held my own.

Stan, I remember the 72 trials well. I agree, the match between Donnie and Rich at 125.5 was as good as any match I've ever seen. They were both wrestling with the Gold Medal in mind. Both had previously won Silver. Donnie was my teammate for 3 years at MSU. We worked out everyday.
  • hammer likes this

#24 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:45 AM

Keith -- Thanks -- esp about your comment about your match with Uetake. It might surprise others -- but not me.

I was sad that neither you or Don won a championship -- you were both better than me.

I think I heard you took Gable down too.

Uetake was of course much better than Dan on his feet -- just not as intense. I think Gable (and I) got that from the West High wrestling room.

Best -

DA

#25 Alwayswrestling

Alwayswrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 9,911 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Love hearing these stories of workouts and honest thoughts of competitors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users