Just days after the shocking news of the implosion of the cryptocurrency market, Michael Novogratz, one of the digital currency's biggest boosters and investors, has stepped down as head of the Hudson River Park's main nonprofit fundraising group, Hudson River Park Friends. On Thursday, it was reported that Bitcoin and similar cryptocurrencies had plunged to their lowest prices in more than a year and were in a startling "free fall."...

1 hour ago, NJDan said:
Just days after the shocking news of the implosion of the cryptocurrency market, Michael Novogratz, one of the digital currency's biggest boosters and investors, has stepped down as head of the Hudson River Park's main nonprofit fundraising group, Hudson River Park Friends. On Thursday, it was reported that Bitcoin and similar cryptocurrencies had plunged to their lowest prices in more than a year and were in a startling "free fall."...

The article clearly says one happened a month begore the other, noy days after. So what is your point?

The text here is cut directly from the article. I have no "point." It's just that Novogratz is a big wrestling benefactor so I thought his crash is relevant news.

10 hours ago, NJDan said:

The article says he had stepped from the nonprofit group before the crypto crash, and it had been in the works for months.

Hopefully he’s still committed to supporting Morgan State wrestling though.

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

The text here is cut directly from the article. I have no "point." It's just that Novogratz is a big wrestling benefactor so I thought his crash is relevant news.

Oof. First mistake. Relying on The Village Sun:

Correction: The original version of this article said Hudson River Park Friends issued a press release on May 14 announcing that Michael Novogratz was steppping down as Friends board chairperson. The press release was issued on April 14.

57 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

Also saw Askren walking around at the Northern Plains Open in beat-up flip flops and no socks... like a hobo. This crash is hammering all the big crypto players.

How many former 2 time hodge winner/olympians are coaching at regionals? hint: not a lot. Instead of being glad and welcoming, we have douches like this, calling one of the greats of our sport a hobo. Pretty weak. You seem to be a jealous man. Taking joy in your perceived financial downturn for someone else is pathetic. 

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Oof. First mistake. Relying on The Village Sun:

Correction: The original version of this article said Hudson River Park Friends issued a press release on May 14 announcing that Michael Novogratz was steppping down as Friends board chairperson. The press release was issued on April 14.

This hardly seems like a significant correction. But if it bothers you, so be it.

1 hour ago, TheHeel said:

How many former 2 time hodge winner/olympians are coaching at regionals? hint: not a lot. Instead of being glad and welcoming, we have douches like this, calling one of the greats of our sport a hobo. Pretty weak. You seem to be a jealous man. Taking joy in your perceived financial downturn for someone else is pathetic. 

I suspect that this would be Askren's look no matter how much money he has. Also, if you are wearing flip flops you best not be wearing socks. 

That said, Askren often spouts nonsense on many subjects. That he holds a Hodge Trophy is no reason to believe he is learned or wise.  

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Cool.

How does this relate to actual wrestling?

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

The article says he had stepped from the nonprofit group before the crypto crash, and it had been in the works for months.

Hopefully he’s still committed to supporting Morgan State wrestling though.

1 hour ago, TheHeel said:

You missed the joke...settle down Francis. 

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

This hardly seems like a significant correction. But if it bothers you, so be it.

Given that you know they got that major "fact" wrong and had to completely re-write the article, how confident are you of the other statements in the article? And yes, it bothers me when people post garbage and then claim they have no point.

2 hours ago, TheHeel said:

They were making a joke - you know, being funny, ironic, kidding. Lighten up Francis. (just saw I was late to this party, still bears repeating)

Edited by Major Kong

The only thing America loves more than a redemption story is seeing someone brash get their comeuppance.  I mean, the guy's got a giant LUNA tattoo on his shoulder for God's sake.  That tattoo today would probably cost about 20 million LUNA today.  

That being said, he's still the richest person in the world that truly loves wrestling.  

10 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

They were making a joke - you know, being funny, ironic, kidding. Lighten up Francis. (just saw I was late to this party, still bears repeating)

I get it - I missed the joke. My mistake is understandable though, as Ben gets a ton of undue hate from the wrestling world. He is our troll. We have to embrace him.

10 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

That being said, he's still the richest person in the world that truly loves wrestling.

I thought that award belonged to Josh Harris from UPENN.  Owner of the 76ers

Edited by portajohn

43 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

All I know is that I am not in the running.

Who knows, for as little as you know you may possess hidden unknown wealth beyond any other known fans of wrestling.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, portajohn said:

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the extent of Harris' contribution has been to give a few million to Penn.  I'm not aware of everything the guy does, so maybe there's a lot more--please feel free to correct me.  

I'd be happy to give the award to Harris if he's more involved. 

(by the way, I'm not saying that any of these guys "owe" wrestling anything)

4 hours ago, NJDan said:

... I worked in a newsroom for eight years ... this is a significant correction. 

The date is 100% tied to the newsworthiness of the current crypto "crash" - since BTC is at $29,800 (as I type this) and on April 14, it was hovering around $40,000. 

But if factual inaccuracies don't bother you, so be it. 

23 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the extent of Harris' contribution has been to give a few million to Penn.  I'm not aware of everything the guy does, so maybe there's a lot more--please feel free to correct me.  

I'd be happy to give the award to Harris if he's more involved. 

(by the way, I'm not saying that any of these guys "owe" wrestling anything)

You're correct.  With what Novogratz has done with Beat The Streets is hard to top

2 hours ago, portajohn said:

I thought that honor belonged to whomever is the next recruit to commit to PSU and the NLWC. ;)