juniorvarsity

Top 3 NCAA Placers Registered for WTT

9 of the 30 wrestlers that placed top 3 at the 2022 NCAAs are registered for WTT(30%).

4 of the 9 registered are NCAA Champions but they were all qualified for WTT before the NCAA tournament.

Only 2 wrestlers registered for WTT qualified via their NCAA placement - Wood and Carr. The 7 other wrestlers registered were qualified for WTT before NCAAs. Technically Schultz has two qualifications but is only doing Greco. He qualified for freestyle via his NCAA finish but that I ignored that here.

I am surprised by how few registered. I think a lot of these wrestlers that opted out would have had a big impact at WTT. Do you think USA Wrestling expected this low of a turn out with this year's qualification criteria? It is disappointing to me. Why is this happening? I think coaches should have their wrestlers "opt out" instead of asking them to "opt in" for WTT.

List of Top 3 Finishers below:

Suriano  
Glory  
Vito Registered
RBY  
Fix Registered
Desanto  
Lee Registered
Clarke  
Rivera N/A
Yianni Registered
Lovett  
Andonian  
Deakin Registered
Monday  
Carr Registered
O’Toole  
Griffith  
Wick Croatia?
Starocci Registered
Lewis  
Hidlay  
Brooks  
Amine N/A
Keckeisen  
Dean  
Warner  
Buchanan
Gable Retired
Schultz Greco
Wood Registered

57 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

9 of the 30 wrestlers that placed top 3 at the 2022 NCAAs are registered for WTT(30%).

I am surprised by how few registered. I think a lot of these wrestlers that opted out would have had a big impact at WTT. Do you think USA Wrestling expected this low of a turn out with this year's qualification criteria? It is disappointing to me. Why is this happening? I think coaches should have their wrestlers "opt out" instead of asking them to "opt in" for WTT.

Do you know how many normally register? This seems small to me too, but I have no historical knowledge to base it off of.

One possible explanation: very few of the actual or prospective WTT wrestlers have a legitimate chance to win at Final X.   

Suriano and Vito might be able to challenge at 57KG.  A guess: Suriano didn't want to cut the weight after winning NCAAs.

RBY could have challenged Fix.  Not sure why he isn't showing up.  (MMA training maybe?)

Very few, if any, guys could challenge either Dake or even Nolf.

Lots of interesting contenders at 79KG but still need to get past JB.

DT is a tall order at 86 KG, as are Cox and Snyder at 92 and 97 KG. (Don't think that Brooks is at that level yet.)

125 is open without GS and there is a fair amount of competition there.

In short, one main reason might be that the US team is pretty stacked.

But, yes, it is a bit disappointing that more guys aren't throwing their hats into the ring.. You have to start somewhere and climb the high ladder.

57 KG at WTT is very weak.  The first 4 seeds at 65 and 70 are strong. Nolf should run through 74 KG.

79 KG is by far the strongest weight.  As many as 7 guys could possibly win. 

3 or 4 solid guys at 86 KG.  92 KG is pretty thin. Only the top 2 have a shot at 97 KG.

Edited by dmm53

I just don't see the college class making big noise this year. Maybe a few placers, but looks to be primarily the usual suspects who have already announced their presence on the senior circuit.

Vito, Fix , Yianni, N. Lee, Deakin, and Schultz (GR) are all known quantities. Starocci might have a proper coming-out party but I still think Ringer runs through 79. Maybe O'Toole and Lewis make waves which would not be a surprise given their pedigree, but I just don't see it this year overall. Wick and Massa appear to be gatekeepers but they are also not exactly spry chickens so it feels a bit disingenuous to include them given the unique covid-shirt circumstances.

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Do you know how many normally register? This seems small to me too, but I have no historical knowledge to base it off of.

This is the first year where the top 3 qualify. It has been champs only in past years, but seeing the percent of champs that register each year would be interesting.

8 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

List of Top 3 Finishers below:

Suriano  
Glory  
Vito Registered
RBY  
Fix Registered
Desanto  
Lee Registered
Clarke  
Rivera N/A
Yianni Registered
Lovett  
Andonian  
Deakin Registered
Monday  
Carr Registered
O’Toole  
Griffith  
Wick Croatia?
Starocci Registered
Lewis  
Hidlay  
Brooks  
Amine N/A
Keckeisen  
Dean  
Warner  
Buchanan
Gable Retired
Schultz Greco
Wood Registered

Should Clarke be an N/A? Does he wrestle for Germany?

20 hours ago, dmm53 said:

One possible explanation: very few of the actual or prospective WTT wrestlers have a legitimate chance to win at Final X.   

Suriano and Vito might be able to challenge at 57KG.  A guess: Suriano didn't want to cut the weight after winning NCAAs.

RBY could have challenged Fix.  Not sure why he isn't showing up.  (MMA training maybe?)

Very few, if any, guys could challenge either Dake or even Nolf.

Lots of interesting contenders at 79KG but still need to get past JB.

DT is a tall order at 86 KG, as are Cox and Snyder at 92 and 97 KG. (Don't think that Brooks is at that level yet.)

125 is open without GS and there is a fair amount of competition there.

In short, one main reason might be that the US team is pretty stacked.

But, yes, it is a bit disappointing that more guys aren't throwing their hats into the ring.. You have to start somewhere and climb the high ladder.

57 KG at WTT is very weak.  The first 4 seeds at 65 and 70 are strong. Nolf should run through 74 KG.

79 KG is by far the strongest weight.  As many as 7 guys could possibly win. 

3 or 4 solid guys at 86 KG.  92 KG is pretty thin. Only the top 2 have a shot at 97 KG.

I thought part of the reason Suriano wrestled 125 this year was because he was already wrestling 57kg internationally?