Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Herbert + Bader = Abomination

Most sports broadcast teams are build around two or three guys each having one of the following characteristics:

1. a good historian/facts guy who can add some little know details and make reference to the good old days.

2. a straight man who can do excellent play by play

3. a guy who can give some good in the heat of battle insight, shoot from the hip, and give some occasional comedy relief.

I'm just guessing these two haven't moved past #3 enough to employ what they could from styles #1 or #2.

I like having Herbert's perspective as a highly accomplished former competitor, but I agree with those who think his constant attempts at humor have run their course. It gets tiring match after match. I'm not saying he's not funny on occasion, but when half of his comments are jokes, it really detracts from the action.

I like Bader. That's just his personality and he brings genuine excitement to each match. But having both Bader and Herbert trying to be like Bader at once is too much.

Herbert could be a really great announcer if he just tones down on trying to be humorous all of the time. His experience as a competitor allows him some great insight. Bader doesn't seem as comfortable in front of the mic as Jake and at times comes across as more fan that commentator.

I think if Herbert has a more relaxed broadcast partner, he would be a lot more enjoyable to listen to. I think of how he comes off when he appears on BTN broadcasts and he is more laid back and sounds very intelligent while mixing in the occasional humorous quip. When paired with Bader, he tries to act like Bader and it comes off as pretty over the top. Jordan Leen, Anthony Robles, Jake Herbert, and JD Bergman are some of the better announcers out of the recent crop of wrestlers that we have gotten to see.

The combination of Bader and Herbert is what's truly terrible. Neither is particularly good, but putting them together ruins a broadcast. Herbert's problem in general is that he is not that funny, but he believe's that he's hilarious. Bader just cannot calm down and all he does in narrate the match, which is unnecessary since we're all watching it as well. He does a lot for Flo, and it wouldn't be what it is without his hard work, but he is better suited doing things without a microphone in front of his face.

EDIT: Just after I posted this, Adaline Gray came in and did a match with Bader, and she provided great insight and actual analysis. I hope she gets more chances to do this kind of thing.

The combination of Bader and Herbert is what's truly terrible. Neither is particularly good, but putting them together ruins a broadcast. Herbert's problem in general is that he is not that funny, but he believe's that he's hilarious. Bader just cannot calm down and all he does in narrate the match, which is unnecessary since we're all watching it as well. He does a lot for Flo, and it wouldn't be what it is without his hard work, but he is better suited doing things without a microphone in front of his face.

EDIT: Just after I posted this, Adaline Gray came in and did a match with Bader, and she provided great insight and actual analysis. I hope she gets more chances to do this kind of thing.

I also thought she did well.

Adaline Gray voiced the flo of the match with a fresh, down-to-earth approach that was capable, clear and engaging … … if she’s not too busy hire that gal immediately :o

And not that it's a factor in how well she would be able to do the job but she wouldn't look to bad on camera either. ;)

I think these guys are serious about the business of fronting a true pioneer company in the fringe sports broadcasting market. I think they see their biggest business opportunities in the youth and high school markets. These markets are quite large, they've spear headed Flo Nationals to expand this effort, and it migrates well with the college recruiting markets. As a result of their focus they have a large audience that is younger and I think they act a lot more immature on camera to appeal to their younger audience. I've seen them many times at live events off camera acting completely different than what you see at the end of a recap where someone ends up wrestling their partner to the ground. It's totally for show and appeal to the younger audience. In reality these guys are running a serious business, perhaps with a formula that is not totally in sync with an older more mature market.

I forget what match it was, but Herbert made a comment that the wrestler's coach probably played a song that said "shots, shots, shots..." over an over. I had no idea he was alluding to an actual song until I heard this on the radio today. In hindsight knowing that it is an actual song, it was a pretty hilarious reference.

Most sports broadcast teams are build around two or three guys each having one of the following characteristics:

1. a good historian/facts guy who can add some little know details and make reference to the good old days.

2. a straight man who can do excellent play by play

3. a guy who can give some good in the heat of battle insight, shoot from the hip, and give some occasional comedy relief.

I'm just guessing these two haven't moved past #3 enough to employ what they could from styles #1 or #2.

Until Monday Night Football came out there were not three broadcasters working together at events. The first season of Monday Night Football with Cosell, Meredith and Jackson showed it could be done and improved the second year with Frank Gifford replacing Keith Jackson.

Maybe the folks at Flo wrestling will follow that pattern. If so, add Dan Gable as his knowledge and east behind the mike would be worth the price of admission.