1. 1. 65kg Predictions Top Side

• Kendric Maple
    • Nick Lee
    • Other
  2. 2. 65kg Predictions Bottom Side

• Yianni Diakomihalis
    • Joey McKenna
    • Other

My gut is telling me that there is going to be a very controversial call that determines McKenna/Yianni and the person on the wrong side of that call will regret not going for the 1 seed and thus best of three. It would have also had the bonus of sending Lee to the other side of the bracket. But no one to blame but the person in the mirror on this particular issue.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

And I'm calling McKenna/Lee going three matches with McKenna getting a spot. I have no reason for this pick other than chaos is the only consistency for the US at 65 kilos

We have Magic Man and a Kid Dynamite, we need a Captain Chaos.

q2lJF1ox_400x400.jpg

I think McKenna is the best in the bracket. But ...
I don't know how it plays out (just like everyone else )

I'll go McKenna and my gut says Lee but my heart says Maple.

I think it'll be McKenna vs Lee and I think McKenna wins that but I'll be amped for whatever the final is. They all have their upside and downside as far as competing at the worlds.

Maple and McKenna wrestle the most "sound" style... Maybe the most euro (in my opinion) they're going to challenge anyone at the weight but maybe don't have enough scoring ability to create big gaps on the scoreboard.... or to place (haven't seen enough of New Maple) I don't think they have huge weaknesses though.

For all his length and fun defensive tactics, Yainni struggles to create his own offense, and the strength lacks, so when he tries to MagicMan and just create offense through a sloppy shot, those little muscle house-opponents exploit it and yeah I dunno.... I think Yainni, depending on draw, has the most upside... But he can be stalled out essentially.

Lee, is going to score, but just doesn't have the experience and I see him being entertaining but not a real consistent threat on the world stage just yet... Like a young Nolf.

Gimme McKenna and a 5th place finish at the Worlds

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

I think McKenna is the best in the bracket. But ...
I don't know how it plays out (just like everyone else )

I'll go McKenna and my gut says Lee but my heart says Maple.

I think it'll be McKenna vs Lee and I think McKenna wins that but I'll be amped for whatever the final is. They all have their upside and downside as far as competing at the worlds.

Maple and McKenna wrestle the most "sound" style... Maybe the most euro (in my opinion) they're going to challenge anyone at the weight but maybe don't have enough scoring ability to create big gaps on the scoreboard.... or to place (haven't seen enough of New Maple) I don't think they have huge weaknesses though.

For all his length and fun defensive tactics, Yainni struggles to create his own offense, and the strength lacks, so when he tries to MagicMan and just create offense through a sloppy shot, those little muscle house-opponents exploit it and yeah I dunno.... I think Yainni, depending on draw, has the most upside... But he can be stalled out essentially.

Lee, is going to score, but just doesn't have the experience and I see him being entertaining but not a real consistent threat on the world stage just yet... Like a young Nolf.

Gimme McKenna and a 5th place finish at the Worlds

I disagree with your take.  Yianni is 5-2 against Joey.  Let's do a sig bet.

I disagree with your take.  Yianni is 5-2 against Joey.  Let's do a sig bet.
"I think McKenna is the best in the bracket. But ...
I don't know how it plays out (just like everyone else )"

The part where I said "I don't know how it plays out" means anyone of those 4 can be the rep and I won't be "shocked".

I tend to sig-bet when I have a strong feeling about something like Zare winning worlds ... But this is coinflip, I can't participate

11 minutes ago, RED said:

Wow.  What happened to all the love for Yianni???  Yee of little faith.  You'll see.....

I still think he is our best shot at a medal. But there is quite a bit of parity domestically and you have to make the team before you can chase hardware. And realistically that's not saying much if we are all being honest with ourselves based on very consistent results through the years at 65.

I still think he is our best shot at a medal. But there is quite a bit of parity domestically and you have to make the team before you can chase hardware. And realistically that's not saying much if we are all being honest with ourselves based on very consistent results through the years at 65.
Correct

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

"I think McKenna is the best in the bracket. But ...
I don't know how it plays out (just like everyone else )"

The part where I said "I don't know how it plays out" means anyone of those 4 can be the rep and I won't be "shocked".

I tend to sig-bet when I have a strong feeling about something like Zare winning worlds ... But this is coinflip, I can't participate

Fair enough.  We just feel differently about how the bracket plays out.  Yianni or Nick takes it imo.  I just don't see Joey taking out both of them to make the team.

Fair enough.  We just feel differently about how the bracket plays out.  Yianni or Nick takes it imo.  I just don't see Joey taking out both of them to make the team.
Man I'm trying to convince myself that Nick Lee is considerably better than Maple and I just can't. I think Maple might be the better freestyle wrestler but.... We'll see .... I predict a McKenna vs Lee final but I'm really feeling the Maple-train after one (recent ) performance.

7 minutes ago, spladle08 said:
17 minutes ago, Mphillips said:
I really believe it gets harder for Joey after these trials. This may be his best chance to make a team.

Harder with the field getting deeper or current guys improving

Current guys improving. Lee training FS year round now and Yianni behind him.  Lots of folks already think it's too late.  I think it has to be now and Joey is my pick FWIW. 

Current guys improving. Lee training FS year round now and Yianni behind him.  Lots of folks already think it's too late.  I think it has to be now and Joey is my pick FWIW. 
Solid take! I think he's right there, he's my pick this year .

2 hours ago, spladle08 said:
3 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Man I'm trying to convince myself that Nick Lee is considerably better than Maple and I just can't. I think Maple might be the better freestyle wrestler but.... We'll see .... I predict a McKenna vs Lee final but I'm really feeling the Maple-train after one (recent ) performance.

Maple found that old magic, but Lee is going to make him look slower than a bottle of Mrs. Buttersworth. 9-3 Lee.

Maple found that old magic, but Lee is going to make him look slower than a bottle of Mrs. Buttersworth. 9-3 Lee.
I know Lee looked good on the backside once against wrestlers who's dreams were just dashed but I don't know if that makes me think he's made that many leaps...
Haha we can definitely talk nonsense when it comes ....

He's my finals pick but I'll still be cheering for Maple .

23 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

This.  I like Kendric and he looked great at the Open, but none of the guys he faced are on the level of Diakomihalis, McKenna, or Lee.

1 hour ago, spladle08 said:

I know Lee looked good on the backside once against wrestlers who's dreams were just dashed but I don't know if that makes me think he's made that many leaps...
Haha we can definitely talk nonsense when it comes ....

He's my finals pick but I'll still be cheering for Maple .

He’s really good and OTT was not really my example. I have been on the Lee bus for a while and if anything Eierman is just a weird folk matchup that slows him down. Dude is a classic Carl terminator that never stops moving and shooting.