Sign in to follow this  
JasonBryant

D1 Home Attendance Figures for 2021-22 season

Not a shocker here as Iowa leads again. I'm still frustrated at the amount of schools that A- Don't ticket the sport at all and B- don't even count to begin with. 

http://www.nationalwrestlingmedia.com/2022/05/as-fans-return-to-college-wrestling-venues-iowa-sets-new-division-i-home-attendance-record/

25 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Not a shocker here as Iowa leads again. I'm still frustrated at the amount of schools that A- Don't ticket the sport at all and B- don't even count to begin with. 

http://www.nationalwrestlingmedia.com/2022/05/as-fans-return-to-college-wrestling-venues-iowa-sets-new-division-i-home-attendance-record/

Any idea what these represent as a percentage of capacity? Obviously, that is 100% for Iowa and PSU, but did capped schools like Cornell hit that cap all the time? Ok States average is 58.5% of its largest, but was the largest a sell out? Were there any other schools who sold out every date in smaller venues?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

Penn State sold out everything in Rec Hall and BJC this season. Lehigh's Grace Hall is close to capacity at most of its home duals. UNI was limited with the issues it's got in West Gym and was likely woefully undercounted for the McLeod Center dual vs. Iowa State. 

Cornell had one dual that was over 800, but then capped at 300 for three duals and 500 for another. 

Yes, decent summary of a chart. But it's odd how Cornell's shockingly low number is not coherently explained. For a team that is perennially in the top 10 nationally to have attendance less than Central Michigan, Maryland and Binghampton is pretty bad. The article says, "Cornell had attendance capped for most events this past season." But it does not say why. It could be Covid. But Covid is nationwide. Maybe they insist on having duals in the Friedman Center rather than in a larger venue on campus.  Either way, their attendance strikes me a major failure. Cornell should be in the top 10 in the nation and certainly ahead of Penn and Princeton.

15 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Yes, decent summary of a chart. But it's odd how Cornell's shockingly low number is not coherently explained. For a team that is perennially in the top 10 nationally to have attendance less than Central Michigan, Maryland and Binghampton is pretty bad. The article says, "Cornell had attendance capped for most events this past season." But it does not say why. It could be Covid. But Covid is nationwide. Maybe they insist on having duals in the Friedman Center rather than in a larger venue on campus.  Either way, their attendance strikes me a major failure. Cornell should be in the top 10 in the nation and certainly ahead of Penn and Princeton.

First rule of holes is when you are in one, stop digging.

6 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I am guessing that neutral site duals are not counted in this number?  Some teams move a home dual to a neutral site which changes numbers when that is considered. 

That might depend on where that site is. A few years back Lehigh held the PSU dual at the ppl arena in Allentown. Had close to 10k. That was counted.

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

There is a vast difference between asking follow up questions and bashing. Remember the first rule of holes.

I will if I am in one. You should remember the first rule of a__holes, tho you seem to have those down.

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

“Could be Covid,” lol

Edited by 1032004

8 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

And 6 schools didn’t even bother to respond ??

Kinda a shame that 6 of the 7 D1 schools in NC (NC State the only one not listed) don’t track attendance…

Thanks for this JB

25 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I will if I am in one. You should remember the first rule of a__holes, tho you seem to have those down.

In Google Maps, after you have chosen your destination, but before ypu start navigation there is an options menu. When you select it you will see "avoid highways", "avoid tolls", "avoid ferries". You will want to choose "avoid the low road". It seems to be your happy place, but it gets you nowhere fast.

I apologize for the press release not breaking down the attendance situation at the 50+ schools that did report their numbers.

When Cornell reported its numbers, they listed one event over their caps of 300 (3 events) and 500 (1 event). Rather than spend the time on a school that was adversely impacted by school-inflicted limitations, I focused on the top 10. It’s a press release, after all. I provided sufficient enough context when considering the totality of the numbers.

My mistake for not listing every school’s exact situation. I’ll own that.

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

That might depend on where that site is. A few years back Lehigh held the PSU dual at the ppl arena in Allentown. Had close to 10k. That was counted.

Yeah - I was thinking of Oregon State this year - they were the home team at a neutral site dual, but it's not counted as a home attendance meet in the chart. 

13 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I apologize for the press release not breaking down the attendance situation at the 50+ schools that did report their numbers.

When Cornell reported its numbers, they listed one event over their caps of 300 (3 events) and 500 (1 event). Rather than spend the time on a school that was adversely impacted by school-inflicted limitations, I focused on the top 10. It’s a press release, after all. I provided sufficient enough context when considering the totality of the numbers.

Why were there school inflicted limitations though??? NJDan is stumped 

Amazing with the interest in wrestling at Indiana, and always has been. They’ve Been waiting for years now ,to get behind a competitive squad.  If people only knew, coaches , wrestlers, how this situation could potentially balloon into a top five to top ten spot in attendance with the right push in talent. It’s a Shame 

12 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I actually think you did just fine. My comment was more in reaction to those who suggested that what you admit was a press release was a distinguished work of journalism. Alas, it seems there are no real journalist covering wrestling today.

20 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I actually think you did just fine. My comment was more in reaction to those who suggested that what you admit was a press release was a distinguished work of journalism. Alas, it seems there are no real journalist covering wrestling today.

Attempting to contact every single D1 team doesn't count as journalism?

not having been to a dual outside of lincoln... what does it cost to attend at those top ten schools?

Nebraska is getting better...

used to be able to buy a box of popcorn at a football game, and use the top as a ticket for five people to attend a dual

it also applied to several other sports...

Well Penn State didn't win EVERYTHING this year. 

It is no shocker that Iowa lead this again but I got to be honest, I am a little shocked with how good Penn State is that they don't draw more fans.  Would they draw more fans if they held every dual in Bryce Hall?  Of course if they did that they couldn't say they sold out every dual as there is no way they would sell out every meet at Bryce.  If you take away the meet against Ohio State they only averaged a little under 6,500 and that just shocks me with how good they are.  I do remembering watching a couple of their home duals and being a little more than surprised that if nothing big happened, their fans where boring to watch.  Lots of old people just sitting in their seat, never clapping or standing and cheering.