Sign in to follow this  
JasonBryant

D1 Home Attendance Figures for 2021-22 season

36 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Attempting to contact every single D1 team doesn't count as journalism?

Since this was quoting what looks like a new deleted post from someone I (rightly) have ignored, I shouldn't have to explain the journalistic work I do on a daily basis. Not everything I do counts as journalism. Almost everything I produce is rooted in journalistic ethics and integrity (save popping off at morons on the interwebs, which is my personal time, right?). 

The amount of research that went into getting the data to develop this press release is journalistic research. Had I written this as a story vs. a release, it's journalism. The NWMA doesn't produce original journalism as a standard. It is a group of professional journalists and content creators (which has become the term for people who produce content but may or may not check the journalism box at all times). The podcast work I do - journalism. The research I do for basically EVERY journalist who's ever e-mailed me looking for something - journalism. My broadcasting at world and national events - journalism. My PA announcing? Not journalism. HOWEVER, the research I do for that job gets used for my online preview guides (journalism) and it's also provided as a journalist resource for those on media row, international and national federations and Sports Information Directors, who in turn, disseminate that to - you guessed it - journalists and their own news gathering or news reporting sites. 

Am I an active reporter these days? No. I consider myself an independent media professional - I have contract agreements in place to work events for USA Wrestling, UWW, NCAA, NAIA and the NWCA. None of that would have occurred if there wasn't some degree of journalistic integrity, training and professionalism to it. 

There are plenty of full-time journalists covering wrestling. Some are from outlets you might not read regularly due to your geographic location, internet browsing trends or fandom of a particular team or region. Wrestling's also a sport that's been heavily driven by internet outlets since the mid-90s, when InterMat and TheMat first came on the scene (started by Tom Owens and Joe Lareau, respectively). There's still dinosaurs who work in media relations who won't credential websites because they're stuck in the 80s. 

This thread is about college attendance, not about me, but since people want to make it about me or claim there aren't any real journalists covering wrestling today, I'm going to strike that down with the mightiest of "OH HELL NOS." Am I a journalist? Yes. I have been since I was 15 years old and wrote my first story for the local paper. Journalist isn't some boxed in term that only applies to one type of news reporting/investigation/coverage style. Social Media isn't journalism, but it can be used by journalists as a tool for journalism. There isn't much in this sport that I do that isn't rooted in journalistic intent or output. And allow me to pat myself on the back just for a minute - you don't win 16 national journalism/writing awards and get inducted into Halls of Fame for journalistic work - if you aren't a journalist.  Dude. 

Now, can we get back to discussing the relevant topics here?

3 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

Indiana doesn’t ticket either. Imagine a nice little kick in revenue if you charged $10. Seems to be a bargain price to pay for a D1 dual.

Indiana did ticket at one time, probably 2008 was the last time they did. 5 or 6 years prior to Angel taking over. Now they have a dedicated arena for volleyball and wrestling only. And only a few arenas in the country nicer. 

19 minutes ago, southend said:

Indiana did ticket at one time, probably 2008 was the last time they did. 5 or 6 years prior to Angel taking over. Now they have a dedicated arena for volleyball and wrestling only. And only a few arenas in the country nicer. 

I had to hunt this one down. first response was "we don't track" and then I checked the records and noticed I've received data from them the previous two times we've released the numbers. They say they have some way to tally it. They need to ticket. Everyone needs to charge for their home events. 

On 5/19/2022 at 10:07 AM, JasonBryant said:

Not a shocker here as Iowa leads again. I'm still frustrated at the amount of schools that A- Don't ticket the sport at all and B- don't even count to begin with. 

http://www.nationalwrestlingmedia.com/2022/05/as-fans-return-to-college-wrestling-venues-iowa-sets-new-division-i-home-attendance-record/

These are very interesting. Nice to see some solid attendance at smaller programs. Do you happen to have the viewership numbers for televised duals and flo wrestling/track data for views on these events too? 

39 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

These are very interesting. Nice to see some solid attendance at smaller programs. Do you happen to have the viewership numbers for televised duals and flo wrestling/track data for views on these events too? 

I do not. 

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

Why are you like this? What do you get out of coming on here, arguing, and being willfully obtuse?

I am guessing his parents didn't love him enough or maybe he was bullied in school so his only way at getting back at people is being a keyboard tough guy.  Either way you are so correct about him.

Cornell holds most home duals at the Friedman Center; I think the capacity there is around 1000.  This year they had limits on attendance due to Covid (I remember 50% capacity, but it might have been lower at times), which included EIWAs at Bartels Hall; they were limited to half capacity there as well.  Evidently it wasn't certain that EIWAs would be held at Cornell until about three weeks before the tournament.

5 hours ago, IronChef said:

Why are you like this? What do you get out of coming on here, arguing, and being willfully obtuse?

You are adorable. I would bet $5 you could not define 'obtuse.'

16 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I had to hunt this one down. first response was "we don't track" and then I checked the records and noticed I've received data from them the previous two times we've released the numbers. They say they have some way to tally it. They need to ticket. Everyone needs to charge for their home events. 

I’m okay with the university not charging.  A certain amount of who attend now ,may not attend if they had to pay for admission. And that was the case in Goldmans era. When he was producing, decent squads we were charged $5 to get in. When the program started to die so did attendance.  Admission fee was dropped and attendance did recover somewhat.  The university has a history of not charging for non revenue sports off and on to keep the attendance up.  

4 hours ago, southend said:

I’m okay with the university not charging.  A certain amount of who attend now ,may not attend if they had to pay for admission. And that was the case in Goldmans era. When he was producing, decent squads we were charged $5 to get in. When the program started to die so did attendance.  Admission fee was dropped and attendance did recover somewhat.  The university has a history of not charging for non revenue sports off and on to keep the attendance up.  

I have no evidence, but I wonder if charging a small amount ($5 or even $3) would actually increase attendance. If you charge nothing, you are sending a message in a way that it's worth nothing. Also, the team administrators won't feel the need to improve the fan experience. I know that at Columbia, they charge noting and basically put a couple of rows of folding chairs around a mat. I realize that NYC is not wrestling country and that Columbia will never draw well. But Columbia is not a terrible team. If they made it look like they cared and charges a small token, I think they'd draw a bit more.

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

I have no evidence, but I wonder if charging a small amount ($5 or even $3) would actually increase attendance. 

And then you have to man a ticket office, have ample change, deposit $s after, provide extra security and then collect tickets at entrance and all will slow down entrance to event some might turn away.  Will $s collected exceed the cost of all additional labor?  Wouldnt it be easier to just raise the price of sodas, popcorn, hotdogs etc by ~$0.50 each?

1 minute ago, ionel said:

And then you have to man a ticket office, have ample change, deposit $s after, provide extra security and then collect tickets at entrance and all will slow down entrance to event some might turn away.  Will $s collected exceed the cost of all additional labor?  Wouldnt it be easier to just raise the price of sodas, popcorn, hotdogs etc by ~$0.50 each?

I would suspect that at places where they are not charging for tickets, they don't sell refreshments either.

9 minutes ago, TheHeel said:

What do you consider "real journalism" Danno?

Well, for one, writing for a publication that is not a house organ (that is, PR). Writing news on deadline, writing well-researched profiles, writing well-reported analysis (or doing any of these on TV or radio). That's a decent start. I'll add more later maybe.

More: Investigative journalism, long form narrative reporting.

Edited by NJDan