IronChef

Will HWC make a comeback?

After having just one Hawkeye Wrestling Club men's wrestler at the Olympic Trials, it looks like they have bumped it up by one this year with Lugo and Cassioppi entering this weekend. I would have expected a few more. DeSanto and Warner were already qualified based on NCAA finish, while Murin, Young, Marinelli, and Assad could have given it a shot. Cullan Schriever was the only Iowa guy besides Lugo at the Open.

Will more Iowa guys wrestle freestyle in the future? Is this a weird year because of injuries to Lee, Eierman, Kemerer, Brands, and Ayala? 

The HWC website lists three men and three women. Lugo is the only serious men's contender, as Safarov is from Uzbekistan, and Moody has been fighting lymphoma. All three women are registered for the trials. I know these things can go in cycles. The HWC has a lot of money and raises a lot every year. I would expect them to be a bigger player, and maybe they will be soon. They should be a force on the women's side if their early recruiting is any indication. 

None of the women currently on their roster (Nelson, Watters, Francis) will make Final X.

Maybe in about 3-4 years when the current collegiate athletes graduate, they'll start being a force.

ASU RTC currently has the best team on the women's side of things.

16 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

None of the women currently on their roster (Nelson, Watters, Francis) will make Final X.

Maybe in about 3-4 years when the current collegiate athletes graduate, they'll start being a force.

ASU RTC currently has the best team on the women's side of things.

I wonder where the Sunkist Kids RTC coach came from. And all those stellar athletes that rep the ladder up and down the weights. Hmmm I sure do wonder...

For the men, it looks like the HWC is investing in the college team.  That won’t bring returns anytime soon.  As @Mike Parrish said, the women’s team is a few years away from significance, provided Chun is effective.  I think she will be.  Of course, Spencer Lee will be an immediate force if he is patient enough to heal.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

For the men, it looks like the HWC is investing in the college team.  That won’t bring returns anytime soon.  As @Mike Parrish said, the women’s team is a few years away from significance, provided Chun is effective.  I think she will be.  Of course, Spencer Lee will be an immediate force if he is patient enough to heal.

Chun is effective.  The Iowa senior women's team will surpass the results of their senior men's team in 3-5 years.  Book it.

17 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Chun is effective.  The Iowa senior women's team will surpass the results of their senior men's team in 3-5 years.  Book it.

They won't be the only DI game in town pretty soon.

I expect Women's DI recruiting to get fierce and soon.

That’s a pretty low bar. If any of them make the semis at WTTs or OTTs, they’ve already surpassed the senior men at HWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won't be the only DI game in town pretty soon.

I expect Women's DI recruiting to get fierce and soon.

I'm not sure there is any reason to believe this. Iowa added women's wrestling 8 months ago as the result of a legal settlement. Since then, no D1 school has added the sport. Lindenwood jumped up to D1 while already having a team, and that's it. So far, there are four D1 schools with women's wrestling: Iowa, Presbyterian, Sacred Heart, and Lindenwood. One of those things is not lie the others.

Who is the next big time athletic program to add women's wrestling, and why do you think that's the case?

I expect ASU will be the next.

I think most of the DI schools that have men's programs will eventually either add women's programs or discontinue the men's.

When the AD comes looking for a sport to cut, being Title IX neutral is a bonus.

I expected this about 5 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by Mike Parrish

3 hours ago, Le duke said:

That’s a pretty low bar. If any of them make the semis at WTTs or OTTs, they’ve already surpassed the senior men at HWC.

I don't think it's a low bar.  Currently, HWC men have Lugo and Cassioppi competing in the OTTs.  Eierman and potentially Kemerer could be joining them after they recover from their injuries.  They also have Spencer, Jacob Warner, and Real Woods when their college eligibility runs out.  

Presently, the women don't have much of a team.  But I am confident in Clarissa that she recruits and develops the women to be more successful than the men in a few years.

I don't think it's a low bar.  Currently, HWC men have Lugo and Cassioppi competing in the OTTs.  Eierman and potentially Kemerer could be joining them after they recover from their injuries.  They also have Spencer, Jacob Warner, and Real Woods when their college eligibility runs out.  
Presently, the women don't have much of a team.  But I am confident in Clarissa that she recruits and develops the women to be more successful than the men in a few years.

Point being, when was the last time a MFS HWC member made it to the semis at WTTs or OTTs?

They’ve got significantly more potential to do that with Kylie Welker alone.

10 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Point being, when was the last time a MFS HWC member made it to the semis at WTTs or OTTs?

They’ve got significantly more potential to do that with Kylie Welker alone.

Welker isn't registered for this cycle.

Edited by Mike Parrish

Under the Brands brothers, Iowa's style and approach seems so "old school" like it never graduated much from the Dan Gable era and the 1960's and 70s.

Push-shove, be tough, hold position, wear down your opponent, grind and grind some more.  That just doesn't work well any more at the elite levels of freestyle wrestling.

Like everything else, the world of wrestling evolves.  Iowa sometimes seems stuck in a cornfield.  

It's increasingly survival of the most willing and able to adapt and evolve.  The conservative mindset in the midwest is too often resistant to change.  It spiritualizes suffering.

Very rarely do you see joy coming off the mat for an Iowa wrestler. 

51 minutes ago, dmm53 said:

Under the Brands brothers, Iowa's style and approach seems so "old school" like it never graduated much from the Dan Gable era and the 1960's and 70s.

Push-shove, be tough, hold position, wear down your opponent, grind and grind some more.  That just doesn't work well any more at the elite levels of freestyle wrestling.

Like everything else, the world of wrestling evolves.  Iowa sometimes seems stuck in a cornfield.  

It's increasingly survival of the most willing and able to adapt and evolve.  The conservative mindset in the midwest is too often resistant to change.  It spiritualizes suffering.

Mathew McDermont voice and gloomy corn field in the harsh wind video needed

4 hours ago, dmm53 said:

Yikes.   This is why the list of prolific serial killers is dominated by Midwesterners!