Sign in to follow this  
PA-Fan

Best Burroughs quote ever...

You know, I didn't quite get that one - I can't say I've really seen any direct comparisons between Dake and Burroughs; a lot of people wondering if Dake could hang with JB, a few suggesting he could beat him, but that doesn't add up to matching credentials or achievements. Same with JB vs. Smith.

To take it a step further - to the best of my knowledge, Burroughs has never wrestled Smith, and never will; but Dake has wrestled JB, and presumably will do so again. Only natural to speculate what may happen next time.

If Howe, Dake, Taylor, and Burroughs stay healthy, we should be able to gain some more fringe wrestling fans. Those four are like four well-rounded graphic novel characters.

Taylor is a fun wrestler to watch, not as fun to listen to. Much like his coach, he rarely leaves his talking points. ( That is when Cael was competing, he has gotten better as a coach. )

This is a great quote from Burroughs. Red blade, lighten up. He was just poking some fun at Dake. Totally appropriate and good natured. ( And witty. )

what's not to get? pretty simple.

Burroughs is trying to achieve goals that Smith attained, hence the comparison. Dake, is trying to get to the first step and try to match Burrough 's goals.

not comparing styles or match ups at all. they're on different paths trying to match the great John Smith.

In context Burroughs was talking at the time about how annoying the media was getting in recent days with talking about who may beat him at that weight class. He was basically saying he isn't anywhere close to reaching Smith's accomplishments and as a result can not compare himself to that level yet. Just as Dake hasn't had the world accomplishments yet to get the benefit the media acting like they are at the same level. He felt a little disrespectful that some of the media wasn't given his accomplishments enough respect with their statements. Sure the weight class hype was great for wrestling exposure, but it seemed to make JB sound as vulnerable as other top US guys with far less world accomplishments over the last two years. It was more telling the media they were being annoying with the whole speculation about the match than anything else. Burroughs did go on to say something about Dake may get his time in the future, but right now it's my time.

This is a great quote from Burroughs. Red blade, lighten up. He was just poking some fun at Dake. Totally appropriate and good natured. ( And witty. )

OCG, I didn't intend to criticize JB for the remark (indeed, I'm a big fan of this guy!), but did want to make the point that Dake's believing in himself in an upcoming match isn't quite the same as saying he's accomplished as much!

At the same time - I'm TOTALLY good with JB getting a bit miffed at the fans and journalists who would suggest that ANYONE could hang with him!

Wake up and smell the coffee. One of our main problems is that the annoying media pays so little attention to us. We need more confrontation and interpersonal trash talk. I recognize these young men like and respect each other for the most part. However the great unwashed, who we need to attract, if the sport is to go mainstream thrives on controversy, not cumbayah (sp?) I don't mean trash as in mean spirited I mean it like I'm going to kick his butt or embarrass him. You don't really think those boxers making millions hate each other do you. It's called pre fight hype.

If JB wants more attention paid to wrestling (which he clearly does, which is great), he'll need to get used the media creating storylines whenever and wherever they can. Its a good thing.

I also hope Dake, Taylor and Howe all believe they are the best in the world. They have to believe it before anyone else will.

I love Dake's answer to how you beat the best wrestler in the world: I AM the best wrestler in the world. Awesome. I also love JB taking a public jan at Dake by proclaiming that he is at another, potentially unattainable, level from Dake. Anybody getting their panties in a bunch over either quote has no clue what's good for the sport. We need our most popular athletes to have personalities, instead of being robots as so many of our best guys were in the past.