Sign in to follow this  
gg121and2

That announcer lady

Cedar Rapids native and wrestling announcer par excellance, Sandy Stevens, was honored yesterday with the Alumni Service Award from the University of Northern Iowa Alumni Association. She was cited for her tireless dedication to the association, including serving 3 years as the chair of its board of directors.

The press release, however, failed to mention her devotion to Panther wrestling and the sport in general.

Congratulations, Sandy.

One of my favorite moments in NCAA announcing history - Jeff McGinness had a pigtail match and had his opponent on his back about 40 seconds into the match.

Ed Aliverti - "Possible fall on mat 2"

Sandy (a few seconds later) - "With that pin by Jeff McGinness - IOWA takes the team lead."

One of my favorite moments in NCAA announcing history - Jeff McGinness had a pigtail match and had his opponent on his back about 40 seconds into the match.

Sandy (a few seconds later) - "With that pin by Jeff McGinness - IOWA takes the team lead."

We miss Ed as well. Local Seattle guy, who would announce our HS Championships.

Late in a 2nd period ... Two guys are just going at it, full tilt, 100% hard wrestling, and he would say something like ... "Those two wrestlers on 4A Mat 3 are still gettin' to know each other!"

Sandy showed up a couple years as well, at our State Tournament, just to work with Ed.

I couldn't imagine an =NCAA Wrestling Championship without Sandy.......congratulations Sandy :O). Oh, yes and after 33 NCAA Championships, I still think of Ed Aliverti everytime too ......not only his announcing of the wrestling, but also his singing of The National Anthemn.....I swear he never sang it the same way twice

Sandy epitomizes everything that is great about wrestling. She works hard on knowing "did you know" information about athletes, even at small tournaments. She is passionate and enthusiastic about it and her love of wrestling is apparent in her announcing. I don't know if she could be more humble if she tried. She deserves to be honored as much as anyone else involved with this sport.

I remember the words well, we were still walking to our seats. Was that Cleveland?

I did feel a bit guilty after posting my comments about Sandy, in that I didn't mention Larry Hamilton-another rabid UNI wrestling fan-who is a close second to Sandy, in terms of his commitment and untiring dedication to initiatives for the program.

Without Sandy and Larry, UNI wrestling could not, and would not, be the same.