bnwtwg

If USA Wrestling is going to get in bed with Flo, when is there media production accountability?

10 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Saying I actually learned something about website and business building from the critique of flo is taking it “off topic”.. seriously 

It must have needed more inane banter and trash talking...my bad.

12 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Flo never reached out. They didn’t even try to sniff around to see that I’m real. Le sigh :(

Did you try to actually contact anyone or just make a post on themat message boards?  @Jaroslav Hasek would probably be the only one that might see it 

This job posting is a hoot!

JOB DESCRIPTION:

FloSports is looking for a VP of Wrestling Strategy to drive the company’s strategic direction, financial goals, and overall go-to-market strategy in the Wrestling vertical. This role is an individual contributor who will partner with department heads and vertical-dedicated staff to deliver key objectives. This leader will be accountable for outlining, communicating, and directing a 3-year strategy that will be core to the vertical’s and Flo’s overall success.This leader will identify the right milestones to execute the multi-year vision and have proven success in delivering results with cross-functional teams within a fast-paced growth environment. 

This position can either be based in Austin, Texas or we’re flexible to consider this position as remote for the right candidate. This position will report to the SVP, Strategy and Corporate Development.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES

• Seasoned leader with some level of subject matter expertise in Wrestling
  • 7+ years of relevant experience in combination of strategy consulting, corporate strategy, investment banking, product management, corporate finance, corporate development, business development, rights acquisition, and/or general manager type roles. (ed:7 years? for a VP role? lolol)
  • Solid familiarity with financial analyses and business valuation (ed:Wouldn't you want 'direct and relevant experience' for a VP role?)
  • Strong presentation skills in communicating both qualitative and quantitative analyses
  • Proven track record of creating value, improving profitability, and determining competitive advantage for other organizations
  • Experience participating in full M&A processes, including due diligence, financial modeling, negotiating and closing transactions, and post-merger integration (ed: Merge with who? Track already got gobbled up.)
  • Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, successfully articulating everything from high-level strategy to tactical execution plans (ed: They have no idea what they want or need for this position. Smells like they know things are poopy and don't know what will fix them)

Nice to Have and/or Excited to Learn:

• First-hand knowledge in developing multi-year strategic plans; familiarity in writing strategic plans, e.g., several page strategic narratives.  (ed: That's a 'Nice To Have'?! In a VP of Wrestling Strategy?! WtAF Flow?!)
  • Experience partnering with product and engineering teams to build delightful experiences; BONUS points for familiarity with mobile and living room experiences (ed: 'Delightful Experiences' screams 'Human Resources' is terrible.
  • Experience in sports media, especially video streaming and OTT  (ed: Ya think? Nice to have?!)
  • (Huge Plus) Experience with data science tools and applications, including SQL, Python, Mode Analytics, Periscope Data, Tableau, Snowflake, Redshift, etc. (ed: For a 'Media Company', this also seems like it should be a core requirement)

If you want to understand why Flow is as terrible as they are, this one job description for a very senior management role should give you a clear window into their disfunctionality.

Edited by Mike Parrish

54 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Flo is hiring in pretty much all departments - job board is here. I'm a little biased but its a great place to work and its an exciting time to be part of the team. Best of luck to anyone applying!

I think it's great!

• Stocked snack bar, catered lunch and breakfast tacos every week

4 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

I think it's great!

• Stocked snack bar, catered lunch and breakfast tacos every week

yeah the snack bar is legit. almost too legit to be honest. a lot of enticing calories just sitting around waiting to be enjoyed. 

11 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

It must have needed more inane banter and trash talking...my bad.

I think the mods don’t like me. Shrug. But in the interest of keeping it “on topic”. Real professionals breaking down how inexcusable Flos issues are had been educational. And coincidentally. Exactly on point. 

90% of what I use Flo for now is the the live events. Especially because they made navigating their website so difficult. So yeah. They need to improve 

3 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I think the mods don’t like me. Shrug. But in the interest of keeping it “on topic”. Real professionals breaking down how inexcusable Flos issues are had been educational. And coincidentally. Exactly on point. 

90% of what I use Flo for now is the the live events. Especially because they made navigating their website so difficult. So yeah. They need to improve 

They're a media company that can't reliably stream video, that have a broken and confusing 1990s style website and host a bunch of 'content' people who are so annoying that I mute the matches when they speak...

What's not to love?

Edited by Mike Parrish

43 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

They're a media company that can't reliably stream video, that have a broken and confusing 1990s style website and host a bunch of 'content' people who are so annoying that I mute the matches when they speak...

What's not to love?

I am with you on all of that but Tom Brands would like to know who is paying you?  ;)

Edited by ionel

3 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

What's not to love?

The worse part is their refusal to take criticism or actually acknowledge screwups. Especially being a business. 
I was reviewing notes from a coaching convention where a very respected coach talked about the need and importance to have either peers or mentors that can call you on your crap. And that you have to be mentally tough enough to listen. 

Every successful business person I know and every book on it. Talks about similar things too.

The problem is that it’s become a good ol boys club more so than a professionally run business. They also hide behind being “Austin style hipster” as an excuse for not operating professionally as they should. 

Honestly, a bunch of their issues would be glossed over or ignored if they could just keep their streams stable. That’s what is so funny to me 

**ahem. Dear mods. This post is directly on topic. I’m sorry my issues with the one poster made you have to give me a demerit. I still fail to see how joking how the discussion made Flo actually useful was off topic..

56 minutes ago, jp157 said:

**ahem. Dear mods. This post is directly on topic. I’m sorry my issues with the one poster made you have to give me a demerit. I still fail to see how joking how the discussion made Flo actually useful was off topic..

get in bed

Just mention warm fuzzy socks, or something similar, and you'll be fine.  :)

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

The mods didn't happen on that thread by accident.
Someone went and complained about it.

Let's see, who commented about the thread being off topic and a 'weird flex'?

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Did you try to actually contact anyone or just make a post on themat message boards?  @Jaroslav Hasek would probably be the only one that might see it 

Do you think I publicly postured in such an asinine way without attempting various other methods previously?

19 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Do you think I publicly postured in such an asinine way without attempting various other methods previously?

I have no idea.  I wasn’t asking rhetorically.  So I take that as a yes you did try to contact them?

No one reported it. A four-page thread about USAW and Flo bears reading.

We lock up a thread that's losing its relevance. We clean up a thread that's going off the rails and keep it open. Moderation will get criticized either way. Thread is still open. Keep it that way.  

1 hour ago, Waste Management said:

We lock up a thread that's losing its relevance. We clean up a thread that's going off the rails and keep it open. Moderation will get criticized either way. Thread is still open. Keep it that way.  

Is it possible to move interesting off topic posts  like a solution to lithium battery dendrite growth to a new thread instead of nuking it from orbit?

2 hours ago, Waste Management said:

I am genuinely asking. How is a joke about Flo being useful for something because it sparked an educational discussion about good website/business design.. “off topic”? 

19 hours ago, jp157 said:

I am genuinely asking. How is a joke about Flo being useful for something because it sparked an educational discussion about good website/business design.. “off topic”? 

The thread was hijacked by 24 posts unrelated to the topic. That tangential conversation can happen via DM/PM. 

15 minutes ago, Waste Management said:

The thread was hijacked by 24 posts unrelated to the topic. That tangential conversation can happen via DM/PM. 

Someone reported 24 posts that were, off the rails? Yikes! I have my guess...