Jump to content
IronChef

Paying haters? (Brands interview)

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Maybe this is part of a move by Brands to bring onboard Taylor, Dake, and Max Dean. He makes the three of them seem logical. 

Whoawhoawhoa.  Lets not get crazy.  You remember the solar callouses and the Benamin Buttoning?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Whoawhoawhoa.  Lets not get crazy.  You remember the solar callouses and the Benamin Buttoning?

I’m just saying Brands is suddenly making a lot of sense to some very elite wrestlers. Cael and Ryan need to step up their games if they want to keep up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair to Brands, he specifically said it is what he was told.  NOT, what he personally found to be true.  Look, a LOT of this started when Mr. Lee told them how NEGATIVE other coaches recruit against Iowa.  When you hear that from a source like Lee, you are going to 100% believe it.  Once that happens, it opens you up to believing things like this as well.  Add in how RIDICULOUS Minnow has been, and I can see how you would be willing to believe someone is paying him to be that way.

Now, is he right?  Hard for me to buy into it.  But, he wasn't the one saying he personally found it to be true.  What I would really like to know, is who came to him saying it was 100% factual???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MSU158 said:

To be fair to Brands, he specifically said it is what he was told.  NOT, what he personally found to be true.  Look, a LOT of this started when Mr. Lee told them how NEGATIVE other coaches recruit against Iowa.  When you hear that from a source like Lee, you are going to 100% believe it.  Once that happens, it opens you up to believing things like this as well.  Add in how RIDICULOUS Minnow has been, and I can see how you would be willing to believe someone is paying him to be that way.

Now, is he right?  Hard for me to buy into it.  But, he wasn't the one saying he personally found it to be true.  What I would really like to know, is who came to him saying it was 100% factual???

Here is the direct quote from Brands

"The bottom line is that a lot of those haters and this is where maybe you asked me in the beginning if there was anything on and off limits andI'll just stir the pot a little here and ....I have found out that in the last 8, 10, 12 months that the haters are paid by the opposition ...so who are we in competition with (rolls eyes) in Division 1 wrestling ... think about that... they're paying haters to stir the pot. We know that. We know that for a fact. Now we know it. So you're like 'how could this be so red hot like a dog gone lightening rod against us'? That's why."

What is very funny is that Brands says "We don't respond to it", but he is doing exactly that in this interview. 

And if he knows it for a fact he should just say who it is. Call them out. Otherwise it is sour grapes of the conspiracy kind. 

She Who Seeks: Enter My Tin Foil Hat Contest!

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Here is the direct quote from Brands

"The bottom line is that a lot of those haters and this is where maybe you asked me in the beginning if there was anything on and off limits andI'll just stir the pot a little here and ....I have found out that in the last 8, 10, 12 months that the haters are paid by the opposition ...so who are we in competition with (rolls eyes) in Division 1 wrestling ... think about that... they're paying haters to stir the pot. We know that. We know that for a fact. Now we know it. So you're like 'how could this be so red hot like a dog gone lightening rod against us'? That's why."

What is very funny is that Brands says "We don't respond to it", but he is doing exactly that in this interview. 

And if he knows it for a fact he should just say who it is. Call them out. Otherwise it is sour grapes of the conspiracy kind. 

She Who Seeks: Enter My Tin Foil Hat Contest!

No doubt it does come off with a "conspiracy theorist" mentality.  But, that doesn't change the fact that he believes what he says for a reason.  Even though you quoted that part, he clearly states soon after that he personally doesn't know what's going on, until "the people in this hallway follow it and they put it in front of Terry and I when it is relevant."  So, my overall point remains.  Who is the person(s) at Iowa that came to Tom with this and what exactly did they show/tell him to get him to say, "We know this for a fact."??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BobDole said:

I would like to come clean and tell you the semi-finals stats were paid for by the Bob Dole Foundation.

Money well spent!  You, my friend, are a Great American!  Hell, I even voted for you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am all for coaches having fun. I think there was a dearth of fun in college wrestling for as long as I can remember. Tom and Terry have done quite a bit to shake off the that stereotype. But careful of that genius/insanity line. Not sure this is doing as much for the sport as he thinks it might. However these are crazy times in college sports and you miss all the hi-c's you don't take. 

Edited by TwoPointTakeDown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MSU158 said:

 Who is the person(s) at Iowa that came to Tom with this and what exactly did they show/tell him to get him to say, "We know this for a fact."??

There is more hearsay in this Hawkeye Wrestling Drama than 10 episodes of Law and Order. 

One thing is pretty obvious. Tom is a willing buyer in the drama. A true believer that people, haters, are out to get him and Iowa. He knows for a fact. Just ask him.

Tin. Foil. Hat.

Edited by TBar1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An unnamed source says that the FBI has a dossier detailing Brand's ties to Russia's Alfa Bank and some lewd hotel room activities on a Moscow visit.  According to media experts, this is extremely creditable since the FBI is said to be investigating. 

The unnamed source, who may or may not be a bald wrestling insider known to throw an occasional chair, says the dossier couldn't possibly be paid for by the opposition since nothing that weird could ever happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2022 at 4:28 PM, swoopdown said:

Where can I buy an "Un-Paid Iowa Hater" tee shirt?  I don't want to be mislabeled.

On second thought just "Un-Paid" on the shirt should suffice since I may someday dislike something else and not get paid.  PSU should hand out 16000 of these next time Iowa and PSU meet at the BJC and have a un-paid-out.

I have them for sale! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, swoopdown said:

An unnamed source says that the FBI has a dossier detailing Brand's ties to Russia's Alfa Bank and some lewd hotel room activities on a Moscow visit.  According to media experts, this is extremely creditable since the FBI is said to be investigating. 

The unnamed source, who may or may not be a bald wrestling insider known to throw an occasional chair, says the dossier couldn't possibly be paid for by the opposition since nothing that weird could ever happen.

Hillary is bald? I knew it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2022 at 9:28 AM, swoopdown said:

Oranges can be super paranoid.   So I'm wondering if this paying accusation is pulp fiction.

You took that metaphor to the woodshed.

BTW I think I have been misusing this idiom forever: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.reddit.com/r/answers/comments/l5953/what_does_the_phrase_taking_him_to_the_woodshed/&ved=2ahUKEwiT7Ibrgf73AhXgg4kEHQgoC-U4ChAWegQIBBAB&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw0PF7VLcfSEnnYPu_T5o4-Z

Edited by jackwebster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...