Sign in to follow this  
Bardamu911

next west coast team to win a D1 title?

sooner or later another Pac 12 school is gonna win the title, or at least we'd think they would. Obviously Arizona State seems like the smart choice, they might conceivably win it in the next few years. But who would you choose as the next west coast school to win the big one? 

1 hour ago, Bardamu911 said:

sooner or later another Pac 12 school is gonna win the title, or at least we'd think they would. Obviously Arizona State seems like the smart choice, they might conceivably win it in the next few years. But who would you choose as the next west coast school to win the big one? 

west coast?  When was the first?

I like what Cal Poly is doing. If they stay on the same trajectory, they will be a powerhouse. I am not sure if it is enough to win it all. They will be a top tier team in the Pac12 for sure. 

14 minutes ago, NJDan said:

It will be USC if it starts a wrestling team and Tom Cruise goes big into NIL.

They have beach volleyball courts around the campus - you could easily have every match outdoors if needed.  SoCal needs something more.  Cal Poly is cool but its a bit of a trek.  

It will be a long time, I think, before a western team wins. ASU is the only realistic chance, and it will take a perfect storm of events to make it happen. Penn State and Iowa aren't going anywhere, and Ohio State is right there. Plus, the TV money for the Big Ten (and SEC) is about to significantly outpace the Pac-12. ASU got 4th the last two years. What can they reasonably do to improve on that enough to win?

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

It will be a long time, I think, before a western team wins. ASU is the only realistic chance, and it will take a perfect storm of events to make it happen. Penn State and Iowa aren't going anywhere, and Ohio State is right there. Plus, the TV money for the Big Ten (and SEC) is about to significantly outpace the Pac-12. ASU got 4th the last two years. What can they reasonably do to improve on that enough to win?

ASU had 2 dead weights last year and 2 weights score little to no team points at NCAAs. So there is a lot of room to improve. 

ASU had 2 dead weights last year and 2 weights score little to no team points at NCAAs. So there is a lot of room to improve. 

Can't you say much the same about Penn State? 3.5 team points from 125, 149, 157, and 165 combined.

Are we considering anything past the Rocky’s part of the west coast now?  Heck of a coastline they have there. That’s almost the equivalent of certain parts of the actual eastern coastline of the US to near the Mississippi River. 

Edited by MadMardigain

1 hour ago, gobraves101905 said:

Penn State will likely score 25+ pts at 125/149/157/165 this year.

If anything, the gap won't close between ASU and Penn State, but widen.

4 hours ago, IronChef said:

Get 6-7 points each from 65, 74 and 84 and not have other guys fall flat. 

I would love to see the championship trophy make it west of the Rockies, but I don't know.  The deck is definitely stacked against the teams out west.  I can see teams like Arizona State, Oregon State, Cal Poly, and Stanford being perennial top 10 contenders - sneaking into a trophy slot every few years.   Winning it all in the current landscape would be an extraordinary feat!  

These days, you need to score 110+ to even have a shot, and then you need all of the other big guys to be in a gap year.  I'd say there's a remote chance ASU could get that done in the next 5 to 7 years, although it's highly unlikely.  

Otherwise, I think you'd need a game-changing coach to move west (Cael, or somebody that's not yet coaching a la Burroughs/Taylor/Dake).  

39 minutes ago, TripNSweep said:

Yep. Need guys along the way to beat guys on the teams ahead of you too. Not going to beat a team with 5 national champs unless you knock some of them off along the way to prevent that. 

Would like to see more schools in the state systems of Cali start up programs. Maybe not even D1. With Stanford, Princeton, and Cornell producing some high caliber athletes. Lets see if Cal Tech wants to throw their hat back in the ring. Start up the 'Smarty Pants' wrestling circuit. UChicago, JHU, NYU, Cal Tech, and Stevens. Not a bad look for a sport with questionable reputation when it comes to grey matter. UCLA and rival USC(I know, I know, sharks and the jets) could make for a fun duel atmosphere. Cal, Fresno(let's figure this one out, people?!), Davis. End of daydreams.

To the question, I'd love to see Bakersfield get back into the mix, again. They have a great pool of talent to pull from. With the some resources and a little luck they could find a few individuals and make a run at it. 

16 hours ago, TexRef said:

Maybe he meant west of the plains. 

holy ****, yes obviously I meant western part of the country....some people are just deliberately obtuse. 

edit: to be clear, TexRef isn't the one being obtuse 

Edited by Bardamu911

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

They are still 50 points behind if you add 7 points to each of those weights. 

15 minutes ago, Idaho said:

They are still 50 points behind if you add 7 points to each of those weights. 

People lose or have issues adjusting. They have questions at 25, 41, 49, 57, and 65. I don't think they can replace Lee. No telling how Kerk and Dean do. Injuries, bad luck, HEW all happen. 

I'd easily place an even money bet it doesn't happen in the next 25 years.  I'd place the same bet in a 50 year timeline if my kids could collect.  

Lots of good wrestling in the western USA but no college out there is ever winning a team title.

8 minutes ago, boconnell said:

I'd easily place an even money bet it doesn't happen in the next 25 years.  I'd place the same bet in a 50 year timeline if my kids could collect.  

Lots of good wrestling in the western USA but no college out there is ever winning a team title.

ASU already did.