Sign in to follow this  
Bardamu911

next west coast team to win a D1 title?

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

ASU already did. 

In the "Terry" Flo doc, Gable talked about that specifically and how he needed to get back in the game and personally start recruiting again instead of having the assistants do it and how he went after the Brands bros himself.

Sure ASU won it in 1988 but where were they and the entire western part of the country after Gable retired and left a void for Minny and Oklahoma State to move in?

2 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

People lose or have issues adjusting. They have questions at 25, 41, 49, 57, and 65. I don't think they can replace Lee. No telling how Kerk and Dean do. Injuries, bad luck, HEW all happen. 

Same can be said of any team including ASU. The thing with fandom is that  people always create the best case scenario for  their team and the worst case scenario for  other teams in order to make a championship happen.  When was the last time a PSU team had "issues adjusting", bad luck, injuries, etc. to lose a championship? 

47 minutes ago, Boompa said:

In the "Terry" Flo doc, Gable talked about that specifically and how he needed to get back in the game and personally start recruiting again instead of having the assistants do it and how he went after the Brands bros himself.

Sure ASU won it in 1988 but where were they and the entire western part of the country after Gable retired and left a void for Minny and Oklahoma State to move in?

8th - 9th - 1st - 2nd - 2nd - -- 6th - 4th - 8th 

Not a bad run from 86-94 - They actually finished ahead of Iowa 3 years in a row. 

I think it's possible--though hard to predict--that NIL could upend the power structure in a sport like wrestling. I just came from an event at my son's school, which has one of the best football programs in the state. (My son does not play.) The coach said that he got a call from two of his former players who told him about their NIL deal. The coach characterized it as $50K to retweet something twice a month. I don't know who these players are or if the coach was exaggerating. But the point is that if a school somehow has a booster who really cares about wrestling and happens to have $500 million dollars, the booster could offer that kind of deal and get 10 top recruits-- enough to have a championship team. Of course, Penn State or Iowa could respond in kind. Or maybe they could not. The point is that there is potentially a lot of money that could put from the West Coast (or anywhere else for that matter) a team on top.

7 hours ago, TwoPointTakeDown said:

Would like to see more schools in the state systems of Cali start up programs. Maybe not even D1. With Stanford, Princeton, and Cornell producing some high caliber athletes. Lets see if Cal Tech wants to throw their hat back in the ring. Start up the 'Smarty Pants' wrestling circuit. UChicago, JHU, NYU, Cal Tech, and Stevens. Not a bad look for a sport with questionable reputation when it comes to grey matter. UCLA and rival USC(I know, I know, sharks and the jets) could make for a fun duel atmosphere. Cal, Fresno(let's figure this one out, people?!), Davis. End of daydreams.

To the question, I'd love to see Bakersfield get back into the mix, again. They have a great pool of talent to pull from. With the some resources and a little luck they could find a few individuals and make a run at it. 

The "Smarty Pants" wrestling circuit! That is awesome! I think you would need Lehigh and Nerdwestern as well. 

On 5/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, TwoPointTakeDown said:

Would like to see more schools in the state systems of Cali start up programs. Maybe not even D1. With Stanford, Princeton, and Cornell producing some high caliber athletes. Lets see if Cal Tech wants to throw their hat back in the ring. Start up the 'Smarty Pants' wrestling circuit. UChicago, JHU, NYU, Cal Tech, and Stevens. Not a bad look for a sport with questionable reputation when it comes to grey matter. UCLA and rival USC(I know, I know, sharks and the jets) could make for a fun duel atmosphere. Cal, Fresno(let's figure this one out, people?!), Davis. End of daydreams.

To the question, I'd love to see Bakersfield get back into the mix, again. They have a great pool of talent to pull from. With the some resources and a little luck they could find a few individuals and make a run at it. 

This already exists.

The U of C wrestles D3 in the University Athletic Association. Other smarty pants wrestlers come from Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western Reserve, Emory, Rochester, NYU, and Wash U.

That's alright, that's OK.

You'll be working for us someday.

46 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This already exists.

The U of C wrestles D3 in the University Athletic Association. Other smarty pants wrestlers come from Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Case Western Reserve, Emory, Rochester, NYU, and Wash U.

I went to Northeastern and when we would play Boston College in ice hockey, their fans would chant "Safety School!" :(

13 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This already exists.

Chicago, NYU, and Case are the only UAA schools with wrestling.

On 5/26/2022 at 7:59 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

This already exists.

Stevens Institute & RIT. Seems like these schools aren't having trouble filling their rosters. 

Lets not let good enough be good enough. Keep adding to it. More smart wrestlers, I say! I hope to work for them some day. Better snacks in the break room!

On 5/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, OR said:

I would love to see the championship trophy make it west of the Rockies, but I don't know.  The deck is definitely stacked against the teams out west.  I can see teams like Arizona State, Oregon State, Cal Poly, and Stanford being perennial top 10 contenders - sneaking into a trophy slot every few years.   Winning it all in the current landscape would be an extraordinary feat!  

These schools are on trajectory to hopefully save the West.   Get past the rockies we should have powerhouses with all the dam talent and lack of opportunities.   Should have a ton of hammers at each program and be top tier yearly (Top 15 or so).