Housebuye

Zahid will take out Taylor

On 5/27/2022 at 11:41 AM, Housebuye said:

$50 to a wrestling charity?

if Zahid gets 2 or more takedowns combined throughout the best of 3 competition vs Taylor, you donate $50 to a wrestling charity of my choice. If Zahid gets 1 or fewer takedowns throughout the series, I’ll donate $50 to a wrestling charity of your choice. 

Maybe an RTC, beat the streets, etc. 

Deal?

Those are pretty terrible odds.  Youre basically taking anything but a complete beat down.  Could happen I guess.  The thing is that Zahid is so wide open and Taylor has constant attacks.  Those two things leads to points getting scored both ways, even with a one guy beating the other guys ass

13 hours ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Why the thinking that Taylor will lose?  Has he regressed? 

Taylor didn’t look himself at worlds. He also hasn’t competed since then. Zahid has put on size and looks improved and far more tactical than he used to be. DT also isn’t getting any younger, unlike Dake. 

i think the combination of factors will lead to a Zahid win. 

13 hours ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Why the thinking that Taylor will lose?  Has he regressed? 

Taylor didn’t look himself at worlds. He also hasn’t competed since then. Zahid has put on size and looks improved and far more tactical than he used to be. DT also isn’t getting any younger, unlike Dake. 

9 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

What made you think Taylor didn't look himself at worlds? His previous 3 wins against Yazdani were all razor thin - in Oslo Taylor failed to finish on a single leg that ultimately proved to be the difference. Again, razor thin match.

Also, Zahid just lost in January to Russia's Amanula Rasulov, 5-2 at the Yarygin. While Zahid is in a tier of his own in the United States, nothing suggests he's reached the Yazdani, Taylor, Naifonov, and Kurugliev tier.

I don't think Taylor will tech Zahid but do think he'll win 2 straight in a fairly controlling fashion...maybe like 6-2 or 7-3 type matches. 

39 minutes ago, Jon_Kozak said:

What made you think Taylor didn't look himself at worlds? His previous 3 wins against Yazdani were all razor thin - in Oslo Taylor failed to finish on a single leg that ultimately proved to be the difference. Again, razor thin match.

Also, Zahid just lost in January to Russia's Amanula Rasulov, 5-2 at the Yarygin. While Zahid is in a tier of his own in the United States, nothing suggests he's reached the Yazdani, Taylor, Naifonov, and Kurugliev tier.

I don't think Taylor will tech Zahid but do think he'll win 2 straight in a fairly controlling fashion...maybe like 6-2 or 7-3 type matches. 

When we are talking about the best in the world, the margins are thin. I know you know that, but figured it was worth mentioning, given the DT vs Yazdani series. 

2021 Worlds - Yazdani won 6-2

2020(1) Olympics - DT won 4-3

2018 worlds - DT won 11-6

there is a clear trend here. 

I also don’t quite understand why everyone seems to be discounting the fact that DT has been inactive. There has to be a reason for it, and there isn’t a single scenario where it would be a good indicator for DT. That’s a huge red flag for a guy like DT.  

Taylor is the man. Love the fact that he put it right back on the line after he won the Olympics especially against a competitor as tough as Yazdani.  He won that Olympic title by the skin of his teeth so he knew it was a risk but he’s a competitor. He has to be injured right?  Why hasn’t he competed?  Seems to me size wise Hall is perfect for Zahid. Opposite is true of Taylor.  

Edited by AnklePicker

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

I also don’t quite understand why everyone seems to be discounting the fact that DT has been inactive. There has to be a reason for it, and there isn’t a single scenario where it would be a good indicator for DT. That’s a huge red flag for a guy like DT.  

6 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

He has to be injured right?  Why hasn’t he competed?  

I'm happy to believe that he's taking fewer risks. 

What has he missed since October...Pan Ams? I dunno, doesn't seem like he has anything to prove down there. 

Has Yazdani wrestled since October?

9 minutes ago, denger said:

What has he missed since October...Pan Ams? I dunno, doesn't seem like he has anything to prove down there. 

It’s not about having something to prove. That’s a weird argument. 

Ring rust is real. 

2 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It’s not about having something to prove. That’s a weird argument. 

Ring rust is real. 

Is it a weirder argument than "David Taylor is inactive"?

Where else did you expect him to compete since October besides Pan Ams? I recall him winning both an Olympic Gold and World Silver within the last 10months. He has no reason to wrestle the US Open or Trials Challenge, so what has he missed that guys like Yazdani have not also missed?

54 minutes ago, denger said:

Is it a weirder argument than "David Taylor is inactive"?

Where else did you expect him to compete since October besides Pan Ams? I recall him winning both an Olympic Gold and World Silver within the last 10months. He has no reason to wrestle the US Open or Trials Challenge, so what has he missed that guys like Yazdani have not also missed?

The US stars compete far more often than most international stars. US coaches often discuss the importance of competing. For DT I particular, he was known to compete everywhere. 

there have been multiple events he could’ve competed in. 

Every returning world team member competed since 2021 worlds except for DT. How is that not a red flag?

Gilman has competed in 3 matches across 2 events since 2021 worlds

Fix wrestled a folkstyle season

Yianni wrestled a folkstyle season 

Green wrestled but also retired

Dake wrestled 3 matches at Pan Ams

Burroughs has had 10 matches across 2 events since 2021 worlds, both out of the US

Jden wrestled 2 matches (vs Snyder)

Snyder has had 14 matches since 2021 worlds across 4 events, 3 of which were out of the US  

Gwiz wrestled 1 match

38 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

The US stars compete far more often than most international stars. US coaches often discuss the importance of competing. For DT I particular, he was known to compete everywhere. 

there have been multiple events he could’ve competed in. 

Every returning world team member competed since 2021 worlds except for DT. How is that not a red flag?

Gilman has competed in 3 matches across 2 events since 2021 worlds

Fix wrestled a folkstyle season

Yianni wrestled a folkstyle season 

Green wrestled but also retired

Dake wrestled 3 matches at Pan Ams

Burroughs has had 10 matches across 2 events since 2021 worlds, both out of the US

Jden wrestled 2 matches (vs Snyder)

Snyder has had 14 matches since 2021 worlds across 4 events, 3 of which were out of the US  

Gwiz wrestled 1 match

You make two good points: Americans compete more than others; It's unusual that Taylor is the only American World Teamer yet to compete since October.

I'm not sold on it being a "red flag", however. 

My observation is that he's taking fewer risks with his 31yr old body. It's not unusual for world class wrestlers to do that; A few only show up for the Olympics. 

FWIW, I'm impartial on the subject - Just want the best possible team USA. If that means Taylor doesn't take unnecessary risks for several months, I'm fine with that. If Valencia's hunger proves too much for Taylor, I'm fine with that too. 

Edited by denger
typo

3 hours ago, denger said:

Hassan wrestles this weekend for the first time since then alongside the other 2 Oslo Iranian Gold medalists in Zare and Ghasempour at a ranking series in Kazakhstan.

If Hassan doesn't tech everyone in his category looking at the list I would be surprised.

14 hours ago, hammerlockthree said:

you have to at least pretend to understand my argument before countering it....

Even the average knownothing on these here boards knows that aint true.  :)

Taylor lost his last match. He also won the previous 53 non-exhibition matches in a row. Prior to the Yazdani lost, his last loss was to J'Den Cox in the 2017 World Team Trials finals. More recently, since the start of 2020, he is 16-1 and has hardly been scored on. 

You can pick Valencia if you truly believe he'll win, but admit that you don't have a basis for it other than a hunch.