Davidson Coach resigns

One thing I will give Dan is that it is a bit odd that Davidson does not seem to have made any comment about this, despite the article by a legitimate media source.  Lausier is also still listed on the website (I’ve seen other times where the school may not have commented but then removed the coach from the website).  Unless the decision isn’t final, my guess is they may plan to promote from within and are finalizing that before making one announcement.

19 hours ago, NJDan said:

Several people on this board find it abominable, it seems, that I admit I was unaware Davidson had a team. I suspect many other were also unaware. Either way, the last time Davidson received any real discussion on this board was 2016. So if a lot of y'all give any though to Davidson, you are not really showing it.

It's probably that people on this board figure that someone with more than 5000 posts (you) would have more knowledge about the sport.

1 hour ago, PSUSMC said:

It's probably that people on this board figure that someone with more than 5000 posts (you) would have more knowledge about the sport.

Maybe that's what they figure. But why? Do you really think the being knowledgeable necessarily implies knowldege about a team that, while technically is in D1, has not had a tournament qualifier in seven years and has never, it seems, produced an AA? 

Davidson regularly sends out less than 10 guys at dual meets. Their admin has zero interest in having a good wrestling program. Some of the best high school programs in the state are right up the road from them in North Carolina and they will not ever respond to phone calls or emails. Davidson is well endowed. Expect some alumni hire you have never heard of.

On 5/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, NJDan said:

Never knew they had a team. That's a problem.

We have similar problem across divisions.   I usually know of if a school has wrestling or not regardless of division,  but I was in SW Pennsylvania this past week and had to look up on a local college website to know Washington and Jefferson had a program.   DI's there are a few I have to double check from time to time.  Davidson I knew only because of the Wince family that long was associated with it.  Ty Eustice should be elevated in my opinion.  Pretty well known name that could get recruits, and furthermore might be able to get bigger programs to dual them.   

Speaking of bigger programs and dualing,  that is another reason we struggle to hear from some smaller programs.  They need those schools to dual them to help with qualifying numbers and strength of schedule.  If Big 10, Big 12,  Pac 12, and ACC give a big F. U.  to these schools,  they would be more well known.  

50 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

I reached out to Davidson asking when they would put out a release. They said they weren’t. I replied with something that was less than complimentary of their communication staff. I’ll be following back up with that particular individual’s dept. head on Monday.

Did they confirm that it happened?  Even if no release I would’ve expected them to at least quietly remove him from the website or something.  But as mentioned I assume that means the replacement will likely be internal?

On 6/1/2022 at 8:10 AM, juniorvarsity said:

Davidson regularly sends out less than 10 guys at dual meets. Their admin has zero interest in having a good wrestling program. Some of the best high school programs in the state are right up the road from them in North Carolina and they will not ever respond to phone calls or emails. Davidson is well endowed. Expect some alumni hire you have never heard of.

I looked it up because your comment didn’t seem to align with my following of the program.  

This only happened twice this past season and both were at 125 in back to back duals.  

125 is the most often forfeited weight since you can’t bump up.  

So out of 150 dual matches (they actually wrestled more since the often included extra countable matches) they had two forfeits at the same weight.  

59 minutes ago, Pinnum said:

I looked it up because your comment didn’t seem to align with my following of the program.  

This only happened twice this past season and both were at 125 in back to back duals.  

So out of 150 dual matches (they actually wrestled more since the often included extra countable matches) they had two forfeits at the same weight.  

Three...George Mason, LIU Post, and The Citadel. (although the latter two were the same day).

Your point stands though. Andy Lausier had certainly gotten their numbers up, even if he hasn't had the success he'd like to have had. (not that Davidson is an easy place to have anything resembling success)

3 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

My assumption is they don’t want to talk about whatever it is.

I thought the Intermat article just said he was taking a job outside of wrestling?  That seems like a pretty benign reason…

On 6/1/2022 at 5:10 AM, juniorvarsity said:

This dude really read Page 1 and thought, "I bet I can make a post that's even more ignorant than not knowing they had a team."

On 6/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, Pinnum said:

e

That is good to know that it did not happen much this year. My point of reference for the comment was in years prior. Maybe it is something I have been telling myself for a while and is not necessarily true, I just only noticed when it happened.

On 6/5/2022 at 11:23 AM, JasonBryant said:

My assumption is they don’t want to talk about whatever it is.

Maybe they just don't care or they could find out but don't want to put in the effort to answer your questions.