Sign in to follow this  
iowawrestling8989

Tech-Falls

Is it just me or do there seem to be a massive amount of techs with the new rules? Briefly looking over the brackets it seems like 50-75% of matches are won by techs! Forgive me if this has already been addressed about the new rules. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with td's being 2 points; perhaps a 10-point tech like 2004 and previous would better fit. Or, is it fitting to have it be 7 points?

I like it. I don't think raising it to 10 would result in more comebacks, I think it would result in more 4-0 matches where the better wrestler has no incentive to keep scoring. With the one day format a 7 point TF gives better wrestlers a real incentive to pour it on, and that is happening.

I like it. I don't think raising it to 10 would result in more comebacks, I think it would result in more 4-0 matches where the better wrestler has no incentive to keep scoring. With the one day format a 7 point TF gives better wrestlers a real incentive to pour it on, and that is happening.

Agreed. Raising it will reduce scoring at the elite level.

10 seemed reasonable. I agree that if the value is too high it will result in lower scores because guys will shut it down, but 7 is too few. A takedown and a turn and hold for 5 seconds results in a 5-0 score. If this was halfway towards a tech that would be about right. But only one additional takedown away from a tech is too little. No need for matches to be overly long, but this is too short.

Agreed. Raising it will reduce scoring at the elite level.

The 7 pt tech guarantees matches are shorter. Less time wrestling not only means less wrestling for fans to watch (bad) but also fewer comebacks and less emphasis placed on endurance.

Motivating guys who already have 5 pts to get another takedown or turn is not a equal trade for all those lost minutes of good wrestling I don't believe.

Yea DT tech falls Howe in just seconds?? Its ridiculous. The matches were over so fast the dashboard scoring at trackwr couldnt update fast enough to keep up. I agree that 60%+ matches ended in first period tech falls. It takes an element of conditioning out as an explosive wrestler can just go balls out for a couple min, score 1 or 2 td and get a good gut and its over. OR, the better wrestler gets caught up in a weird scramble and when the dust clears, he finds that he is down 5-0 after just seconds and is 1 td from being finished. I dont like it, not one bit.

I don't like it, but I like it better than the old rules. I've seen plenty of fast tech falls when it was a 10 point tech though. I'm too young to remember if there were similar results back in 2004 at this level and too lazy to look it up, but maybe someone with a good memory/strong enough interest to look it up would chime in.

Is it just me or do there seem to be a massive amount of techs with the new rules?

It's just you. David Taylor is 9x better than Andrew Howe, obvi.

I think the result implies that he is infinitely better.