Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Ok, I'm Officially A Metcalf Fan

I would love to watch Metcalf rip NJWC's arms off so he could no longer type this crap. Calwell had his 15 minutes of fame. He Is done now. Move on. Metcalf is representing the USA now in 2013. Quit trash talking the guy for losing a college match over 3 years ago. He is one of the hardest working people in America. All he wants to do is bring home medals for the USA. If you can't support that then you need to check out.

Calwell had his 15 minutes of fame. He Is done now. Move on. Metcalf is representing the USA now in 2013. Quit trash talking the guy for losing a college match over 3 years ago. He is one of the hardest working people in America. All he wants to do is bring home medals for the USA. If you can't support that then you need to check out.

Calwell had his 15 minutes of fame. He Is done now. Move on. Metcalf is representing the USA now in 2013. Quit trash talking the guy for losing a college match over 3 years ago. He is one of the hardest working people in America. All he wants to do is bring home medals for the USA. If you can't support that then you need to check out.

Where did I say I don't support him succeeding at this point? Where did I trash talk the guy? Did I post anything that was inaccurate?

I became a Metcalf fan at the Junior National Duals when he was losing by a couple points and standing over his opponent yelling for him to get up and wrestle him. We were both probably 17 at the time, and that's some serious intensity for a teenager. I think Jason Johnstone was the guy he was wrestling, but it was a long time ago.

Brent's brother, Chase, was a great guy and phenomenal competitor too. The wrestling community misses him, and I'm sure he would be tremendously proud of Brent for his accomplishments.

I would love to watch Metcalf rip NJWC's arms off so he could no longer type this crap. Calwell had his 15 minutes of fame. He Is done now. Move on. Metcalf is representing the USA now in 2013. Quit trash talking the guy for losing a college match over 3 years ago. He is one of the hardest working people in America. All he wants to do is bring home medals for the USA. If you can't support that then you need to check out.

Where did I say I don't support him succeeding at this point? Where did I trash talk the guy? Did I post anything that was inaccurate?

Yes, Vak already pointed out your inaccuracies. Do everyone a favor and quit posting. You are full of crap

I agree, college Caldwell vs college metcalf the obvious winner is Caldwell. He dogged metcalf in their finals meeting, Probably the worst beating metcalf had ever received. But unfortunately caldwell's career ended with injury and he never came back the same. Metcalf has continued improving and having success. It's really not fair to compare these two anymore because nobody knows how Caldwell would have done in fs.

Now, I will say college and international Burroughs > metcalf at their peaks. Metcalf beat Burroughs, this can't be argued. But by their last match in college I would say Burroughs was on another level (still higher than metcalf is today).

VakAttack,

I understand that NJwc is shifting standards a bit an also passing off a few opinions as facts, but I think you also may be taking the opinion/fact thing too far. For example, it's not a fact that Burroughs is currently America's best wrestler? You may be able to technically say he isn't, but is that realistic? If taken too literally you could also say an EXTREMELY modest statement like "Burroughs is a top 10 current US wrestler" is also an opinion. Do we really want to go there?

It is an opinion, not a fact. Here's a fact: Jordan Burroughs won the 2012 Olympic Gold Medal at 74 kg.

NJWC is trying to throw around how he is dealing with facts. He is not. Saying someone is the best at something is inherently an opinion. Now, it is my opinion that Jordan Burroughs is the best current American wrestler, but that's all it is, an opinion. Even a commonly held opinion is still just an opinion.

VakAttack,

I understand that NJwc is shifting standards a bit an also passing off a few opinions as facts, but I think you also may be taking the opinion/fact thing too far. For example, it's not a fact that Burroughs is currently America's best wrestler? You may be able to technically say he isn't, but is that realistic? If taken too literally you could also say an EXTREMELY modest statement like "Burroughs is a top 10 current US wrestler" is also an opinion. Do we really want to go there?

It is an opinion, not a fact. Here's a fact: Jordan Burroughs won the 2012 Olympic Gold Medal at 74 kg.

NJWC is trying to throw around how he is dealing with facts. He is not. Saying someone is the best at something is inherently an opinion. Now, it is my opinion that Jordan Burroughs is the best current American wrestler, but that's all it is, an opinion. Even a commonly held opinion is still just an opinion.

When someone wins a world title and Olympic title in successive years, without dropping a match to anyone, what does that suggest? Even to clueless dopes, it suggests that person is the best wrestler in the world at that weight, correct? Is that opinion, or fact based on overwhelming circumstantial evidence?

Yes, Vak already pointed out your inaccuracies. Do everyone a favor and quit posting. You are full of crap

And I addressed each point. Now answer my questions.

Vakattack,

I realize it's technically an opinion but if we take things too far it would be almost impossible to communicate without having to qualify every statement to its death. Also in your post that was intended to teach NJWC what a fact is, you mistakenly pass off one of your own opinions as facts when you state Caldwell took an injury timeout in his ncaa final with Metcalf. Or maybe you're saying that's an objective fact? How do you suppose we should communicate considering nearly everything is technically an 'opinion'? How far should we go? This can very easily get absurd, trust me. There are some philosophers who hold to antirealism, and therefore don't share your "opinion" that objective facts even exist. Ever met a real life solipsist?

*In this post I'm assuming an objective reality and that there are other people who experience this phenomenon with me**

I just stated that Caldwell took a lung timeout. I didn't say it was a fact. Here's the thing, NJWC kept explicitly saying that he was dealing in facts, and he clearly was not. I have not claimed that I am dealing exclusively in facts, since clearly I'm not. I called out NJWC because he kept saying he was dealing with facts. I never said I was dealing exclusively in facts, so it makes no sense to call me out for using opinions. He made it about technicalities by trying to trumpet how he was using facts, so I called him out for it.

Guest Hammerlock3

NJWC is laboring under the delusion that if he blabs stupidly enough on behalf of NJ, the achievements of some of their wrestlers will be confused with his own.

Its run of the mill behavior for people who have achieved a lot in their lives.

Fact = Burroughs is the best wrestler in the world at 74kg

Opinion = Burroughs is the best pound for pound wrestling in the world. (which is my opinion :) )

Fact = Metcalf is currently the best US wrestler at 66kg

Opinion = Metcalf is better than Caldwell. (which is my opinion :) even though I have not always been a big Metcalf fan)

I'll support Metcalf now that he's on the team just as I would any other guy who puts on the USA singlet. However, I was rooting against him in the trials. I don't know him, nor have I ever met him, but the persona he projects genuinely turns me off to him as a competitor. Regardless, I hope he wins the world title. I don't think he will, but I'm rooting for him.

Everybody loves a good story of struggle and eventual triumph.

The real question is, will you still love him if he becomes a world champ and the Hawkeyes win another NCAA team title?

Get ready to feel the hate again Hawkeye fans...the momentum seems to be shifting back in your direction. The new crop in Iowa City is looking pretty impressive.

Agree with the struggle and eventual triumph being part of it. People were saying he was being passed by guys like Russell and Oliver and some were even saying he should retire so as a wrestling fan, you can really appreciate his performance at WTT. I also think we are seeing a more mature Metcalf. Oliver took a couple cheap shots in their match and it didn't faze him. I thought that was pretty cool.

I am a little concerned with how many times Oliver got to his legs. He is going to see some guys at worlds that will convert those positions into points so I do understand why some people are not predicting gold.

Finally, I sense some concern on your part that if people like me stop hating hawk wrestlers that it's a sign that there's something wrong with the state of the Iowa program. Well maybe you are on to something because personally I sense no danger from the Hawks this year. They have a nice lineup but will be fighting it out with OSU for 3rd-4th. :D

I'll support Metcalf now that he's on the team just as I would any other guy who puts on the USA singlet. However, I was rooting against him in the trials. I don't know him, nor have I ever met him, but the persona he projects genuinely turns me off to him as a competitor. Regardless, I hope he wins the world title. I don't think he will, but I'm rooting for him.

I think he has turned over a new leaf. I loved his energy against Oliver.

I think he has turned over a new leaf. I loved his energy against Oliver.

-------

I think Metcalf has made some improvements, but he has always been at or near the top for USA for 4 consecutive years:

2010 - WTT champ

2011 - WTT runnerup

2012 - OTT runnerup

2013 - WTT champ

This year, I would not discount the effect of the rule changes benefiting Metcalf. A six min match with cummulative score is better for his style, imho. Under the old rules, I'm not sure he would've prevailed in the semi vs JO.

Guest Hammerlock3

Serious question:

Whose ever seen JO get tired before? I don't remember a case, especially not one where he went straight legged for the last minute of a match. I thought his shape was comparable to Metcalfs, or at least good enough so that it wouldn't be a huge factor in a six minute match. I also think the reason he got so testy at the end of the first period was that he felt it coming.

Serious question:

Whose ever seen JO get tired before? I don't remember a case, especially not one where he went straight legged for the last minute of a match. I thought his shape was comparable to Metcalfs, or at least good enough so that it wouldn't be a huge factor in a six minute match. I also think the reason he got so testy at the end of the first period was that he felt it coming.

Really? I don't think JO is a gasser or anything, but I never thought he was on Metcalf's level from a conditioning standpoint. I've always thought of Metcalf as one of the best conditioned wrestlers I can remember, up there with the Brands Brothers and Ironside, and actually used his conditioning as a weapon.

Just watched all of the WTT finals. IMO Metcalf and Brands both come across as JOs. Ironic.

Brands should be banned for his antics. Looks like a peewee coach arguing for a call. You could put his class in a thimble and still have room for your thumb. He's embarassing. You can see the lifelong impact he has made on Metcalf - such a shame.

Manning, Cael, Smith >>>>>>>>> Brands.