flyingcement

For fun: a meaningless set of June AA predictions

51 minutes ago, IGotAPlan said:

I'm also super curious how Facundo looks. Ton of potential but didn't show much in his redshirt year (heard he was pretty nicked up though) but that probably has been the case for many kids who would blossom as redshirt freshman.

He was able to dominate weaker competition (bonusing most of them, scoring 20 regularly even) but didn't do well offensively against NQ type guys (as was expected) Cael himself said it really comes down to setting up your attacks and finishing since he's athletic enough to get to the legs whenever. 

Haven't seen enough of him during freestyle season that you can extrapolate (he dominated kids he should be dominating) If he wins World Gold, yeah, we have something there then (like Carr, Lewis, O'Toole)

He'll be getting the Casey Cunningham treatment this summer. He didn't get it last year, with NLWC's Olympians and training partners (DT, Bekzod, Gomez, AB, Starocci) being at camps and gone for a lot of the off season. 

5 minutes ago, Le duke said:

He'll be getting the Casey Cunningham treatment this summer. He didn't get it last year, with NLWC's Olympians and training partners (DT, Bekzod, Gomez, AB, Starocci) being at camps and gone for a lot of the off season. 

And I expect him to make a jump but he had a long way to go as of last year. Ls to Bullard, JM Best and Fish. He didn't give up takedowns in 2 of those matches though, which is his MO, he is very difficult to takedown but he needs to get to his offense as well. 

165 will also be very tough to AA at but that's the situation every year. 

13 minutes ago, Le duke said:

6 minutes ago, IGotAPlan said:

And I expect him to make a jump but he had a long way to go as of last year. Ls to Bullard, JM Best and Fish. He didn't give up takedowns in 2 of those matches though, which is his MO, he is very difficult to takedown but he needs to get to his offense as well. 

165 will also be very tough to AA at but that's the situation every year. 

Facundo is so exceptional defensively already, so when Cunningham improves his top and bottom games and he already can get to legs so a little polish on the finishes and he should be a lot more dangerous. 

3 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Facundo is so exceptional defensively already, so when Cunningham improves his top and bottom games and he already can get to legs so a little polish on the finishes and he should be a lot more dangerous. 

I'm curious how he looks at Worlds. It's been a few years but he did well Internationally at Cadets (2 bronzes) 

1 minute ago, IGotAPlan said:

I'm curious how he looks at Worlds. It's been a few years but he did well Internationally at Cadets (2 bronzes) 

My only concern with Worlds, and this seems to happen a lot, is that they fly over to Eastern Europe and after a really, really long flight they are wrestling within 24 hours. I think the trend has been that guys who wrestle with another 24 hours rest do better. 

Levi Haines is definitely an AA contender if he wrestles next year. The match that was most eye opening was him going up 8-1 on Andrew Cerniglia his first college tournament (before Cerniglia defaulted) He was bullying a legitimate grown man as a HS senior without coaching yet (I doubt Cael/Casey gave him any attention in the middle of the season, he was probably just rolling around with guys on the team) 

He was pretty even with Paddy (who was edge wrestling a bit) The final score was misleading, Levi found the go ahead takedown down 3-2 and turked a broken Gallagher for 4. That was the only match he was remotely a threat to lose in his 2 college tournaments. 

As for his losses to Mesenbrink, doubt there is much to extrapolate from that. Hamiti lost to Facundo last year at Juniors (and also to Caliendo) Neither were ready to have as good of a folk season as he would this year (6th in a deep 165 class) Max Dean got teched by Foca at 189 last year, Foca was 1-2 at 174 this year and Dean won 197. 

2 minutes ago, IGotAPlan said:

Levi Haines is definitely an AA contender if he wrestles next year. The match that was most eye opening was him going up 8-1 on Andrew Cerniglia his first college tournament (before Cerniglia defaulted) He was bullying a legitimate grown man as a HS senior without coaching yet (I doubt Cael/Casey gave him any attention in the middle of the season, he was probably just rolling around with guys on the team) 

He was pretty even with Paddy (who was edge wrestling a bit) The final score was misleading, Levi found the go ahead takedown down 3-2 and turked a broken Gallagher for 4. That was the only match he was remotely a threat to lose in his 2 college tournaments. 

As for his losses to Mesenbrink, doubt there is much to extrapolate from that. Hamiti lost to Facundo last year at Juniors (and also to Caliendo) Neither were ready to have as good of a folk season as he would this year (6th in a deep 165 class) Max Dean got teched by Foca at 189 last year, Foca was 1-2 at 174 this year and Dean won 197. 

Total agreement with everything you posted here, IGAP. 

6 minutes ago, TBar1977 said:

Total agreement with everything you posted here, IGAP. 

I don't think he wrestles next year ... I imagine he wants to (why he skipped senior year) but it'll be interesting to see what Cael's call is. The points aren't needed right now but he is a "break in case of emergency" option if God forbid, injuries or other guys aren't developing for Cael. 

That or maybe Cael doesn't want another undefeated 4 timer and the risk is way too high if he redshirts Levi ;-)

Edited by IGotAPlan

18 hours ago, JeanGuy said:

AA's are a zero sum game. To put someone else on you have to say who won't make it.

I think the PSU thing in fair for June. You can't place Howard, Bartlett, Van Ness, Haines, Facundo/Lee/etc. when they haven't had any meaningful college matches at those weights. Come January it may be a different story. Bartlett is a prime example, people think he will become a world beater at 141 vs 149 but I happen to believe he is a one or two takedown kind of wrestler and that is who he will remain. I think he will be better at 141 but I can't say I think Top 8.

Bartlett at 149 definitely mentally affected his style a bit but I saw him breaking through it a bit when he was wrestling free. He'll have all next season to work on it as well. He is a bit of a head case IMO. He seemed so excited he was able to move around his opponents easier that he suddenly started to bully D'Emilio by just pushing him out over and over (and he did it 5 times in a half) Before you know it, he gave up a TD and then 4 and lost. Still has a long way to go and agreed you can't pencil him in the Top 8 but the opportunity is there. 

You're correct, he's always going to be a win 5-3 kind of guy. At 141, he'll be able to do that more than lose especially since that class is open after Matthews and Woods IMO. 

On 6/7/2022 at 8:58 PM, flyingcement said:

1. Spencer Lee, Iowa
  2. Michael DeAugustino, Northwestern
  3. Patrick McKee, Minnesota
  4. Brandon Courtney, Arizona State
  5. Eric Barnett, Wisconsin
  6. Brandon Kaylor, Oregon State
  7. Matt Ramos, Purdue
  8. Anthony Noto, Lock Haven

1. Roman Bravo-Young, Penn State
  2. Daton Fix, Oklahoma State
  3. Nic Bouzakis, Ohio State
  4. Vito Arujau, Cornell
  5. Lucas Byrd, Illinois
  6. Patrick Glory, Princeton
  7. Michael McGee, Arizona State
  8. Dylan Ragusin, Michigan

1. Cole Matthews, Pittsburgh
  2. Real Woods, Iowa
  3. C.J. Composto, Penn
  4. Lachlan McNeil, North Carolina
  5. Dom Demas, Cal Poly
  6. Andrew Alirez, Northern Colorado
  7. Jake Bergeland, Minnesota
  8. Casey Swiderski, Iowa State

1. Yianni Diakomihalis, Cornell
  2. Austin Gomez, Wisconsin
  3. Ridge Lovett, Nebraska
  4. Sammy Sasso, Ohio State
  5. Kyle Parco, Arizona State
  6. Brock Mauller, Missouri
  7. Caleb Henson, Virginia Tech
  8. Max Murin, Iowa

1. Ed Scott, North Carolina State
  2. Bryce Andonian, Virginia Tech
  3. Quincy Monday, Princeton
  4. Austin O'Connor, North Carolina
  5. Mitchell Mesenbrink, Cal Baptist
  6. Jacori Teemer, Arizona State
  7. Brayton Lee, Minnesota
  8. Josh Humphreys, Lehigh

1. Keegan O'Toole, Missouri
  2. Shane Griffith, Stanford
  3. David Carr, Iowa State
  4. Dean Hamiti, Wisconsin
  5. Cameron Amine, Michigan
  6. Carson Kharchla, Ohio State
  7. Peyton Hall, West Virginia
  8. Julian Ramirez, Cornell

1. Mekhi Lewis, Virginia Tech
  2. Carter Starocci, Penn State
  3. Dustin Plott, Oklahoma State
  4. Mikey Labriola, Nebraska
  5. Ethan Smith, Ohio State
  6. Mickey O'Malley, Drexel
  7. Lance Runyon, Northern Iowa
  8. Gerrit Nijenhuis, Oklahoma

1. Aaron Brooks, Penn State
  2. Parker Keckeisen, Northern Iowa
  3. Bernie Truax, Cal Poly
  4. Trent Hidlay, North Carolina State
  5. Marcus Coleman, Iowa State
  6. Jon Loew, Cornell
  7. Trey Munoz, Oregon State
  8. Abe Assad, Iowa

1. Michael Beard, Lehigh
  2. Max Dean, Penn State
  3. AJ Ferrari, Oklahoma State
  4. Yonger Bastida, Iowa State
  5. Isaac Trumble, North Carolina State
  6. Jacob Warner, Iowa
  7. Stephen Buchanan, Wyoming
  8. Ethan Laird, Rider

1. Gable Steveson, Minnesota
  2. Cohlton Schultz, Arizona State
  3. Tony Cassioppi, Iowa
  4. Greg Kerkvliet, Penn State
  5. Mason Parris, Michigan
  6. Lucas Davison, Northwestern
  7. Wyatt Hendrickson, Air Force
  8. Joe Doyle, Binghamton

Any truth that Gregor might be joining brother Lachlan at UNC? 

I would add to transfers to Oklahoma; Wyatt Henson and Mosha Schwartz.

1. Roman Bravo-Young, Penn State
  2. Daton Fix, Oklahoma State
  3. Nic Bouzakis, Ohio State
  4. Vito Arujau, Cornell
  5. Lucas Byrd, Illinois
  6. Michael McGee, Arizona State
  7. Dylan Ragusin, Michigan
  8. Wyatt Henson, Oklahoma

1. Cole Matthews, Pittsburgh
  2. Real Woods, Iowa
  3. C.J. Composto, Penn
  4. Lachlan McNeil, North Carolina
  5. Mosha Schwartz, Oklahoma
  6. Dom Demas, Cal Poly
  7. Andrew Alirez, Northern Colorado
  8. Casey Swiderski, Iowa State

On 6/17/2022 at 1:09 PM, Swayz said:

Any truth that Gregor might be joining brother Lachlan at UNC? 

I'm afraid I don't know much about his brother actually.  I had only recently become aware of how impressive Lachlan has been.

21 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I'm afraid I don't know much about his brother actually.  I had only recently become aware of how impressive Lachlan has been.

2nd Prep Nationals 2021

6th Prep Nationals 2020  for  Wyoming Seminary. 

I think he may have done a Post Grad year this past season.

On 6/15/2022 at 9:14 AM, TBar1977 said:

Levi Haines is definitely an AA contender if he wrestles next year.

does this mean if he doesn't redshirt next year? why wouldn't he wrestle next year? is he injured or something I haven't heard about? 

7 hours ago, Bardamu911 said:

does this mean if he doesn't redshirt next year? why wouldn't he wrestle next year? is he injured or something I haven't heard about? 

Only the staff knows who the starting line up will be.

7 hours ago, Bardamu911 said:

He wouldn't wrestle because it doesn't look like they'll need him to win it.  That's really the only reason, and saving his eligibility could be useful down the line.  

He might wrestle because he's ready to compete, and perhaps Cael & co. would like to increase their margin for error a bit.  It remains to be seen if any team can mount a respectable challenge.  

Apparently he can compete attached this year in 5 events anyway, so they should be able to find out exactly where he's at and make a decision closer to go time.