Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

Anyone else find this disturbing?

It may have been a joke, I can see that, but joking about abusing a highly addictive prescription drug is the wrong thing to joke about. I guess I'm a little sensitive because I've seen what abusing that stuff can do to somebody and the results are not pretty.

And I presume you've never joked about anything that would be offensive to some people? It was a one-off remark, it didn't hurt anyone.

I'm not an Olympian who teaches clinics and camps and is generally an ambassador for wrestling either.

And Olympians are supposed to always be hyper sensitive to the feelings and emotions of everything single person out there.

The lesson here Mr Herbert is don't talk ever. Don't say anything ever. Don't be yourself and joke around ever because you're an Olympian and Olympians are t allowed to do those things.

No the lesson here is don't joke about abusing prescription drugs that are highly addictive and have a history of causing some really bad side effects in people who abuse it, as he alluded to. You might find it being sensitive, but joking about something like that is not funny at all. Would you say the same if he "joked" about using cocaine prior to wrestling?

I got diagnosed with ADHD and they put me on 3 different pills. I got tired of the way those things made me feel, went back to my doctor and he prescribed alternate therapy instead of having to be dependent on something chemically. It wasn't adderall but it still had some pretty awful side effects. I would never want to reach the level where I would "need" to basically poison myself like that.

Here's an excerpt from a recent article on Jake Herbert possibly getting into MMA:

"Honestly, I don't think I'm meant to sit behind desk," Herbert said. "Not without a lot of Adderall."

Does that mean that he's supposed to be taking it as a prescription but is choosing not to, or is he basically admitting he'd be abusing prescription drugs? Seriously, that's one of the more stupid things he's said/done.

Get a life!

No the lesson here is don't joke about abusing prescription drugs that are highly addictive and have a history of causing some really bad side effects in people who abuse it, as he alluded to. You might find it being sensitive, but joking about something like that is not funny at all. Would you say the same if he "joked" about using cocaine prior to wrestling?

I got diagnosed with ADHD and they put me on 3 different pills. I got tired of the way those things made me feel, went back to my doctor and he prescribed alternate therapy instead of having to be dependent on something chemically. It wasn't adderall but it still had some pretty awful side effects. I would never want to reach the level where I would "need" to basically poison myself like that.

Obviously you are pretty sensitive to this particular issue and I can empathize with you on that, however you definitely are blowing things WAY out of proportion. Whether you realize it or not, what Herbert said is a pretty common expression amongst young people. I'm sorry that offends you, but that fact of the matter is.. it is what it is!

Your comparison to someone who says they are using cocaine holds little to no merit because its not a commonly used expression for someone to say.. "I'm going to use cocaine in order to get energized"

It IS a pretty common expression to say that "that person is on speed!" when describing a very hyper and energetic person. Now that being said it is NOT an accusation that that person is actually on speed or upper type drugs!

At the same time another commonly used expression is to say "I get all ADHD" or "That makes me go all ADHD" when someone gets confused by something or overwhelmed by something. It does NOT mean that they literally come down with a medical case/diagnosis of actually having ADHD. Again these are expressions that young people use.

Obviously these expression are not very "politically correct" and can be found offensive to certain people when taken in a certain context, however at the same time, please try to take this whole situation for what it is at face value. Jake Herbert, who is a relatively young person, using a commonly used expression amongst young people. Nothing more, nothing less, and I'm sure if he knew how truly offensive you found that comment I'm sure he would explain that he meant no harm.

On my behalf, this post was me trying to inform you of certain usages of slang in today's modern American English, and I in no way am encouraging or promoting the use of these slang expressions presented in this post. However If you DO choose to use these expressions, just know that I will completely understand the point you are trying to make.

Trip you are on a big losing streak picking topics.

First, you want to coach, but wouldn't let your own sons wrestle if you had any.

Now, you are being overly sensitive on Herbert's comment. My brother has severe attention deficit disorder as you do, but he has a sense of humor about it. We joke we'll never know if he gets Alzheimers because he already can't remember things. He uses the same line.

You are definitely lacking a sense of humor.

Here's an excerpt from a recent article on Jake Herbert possibly getting into MMA:

"Honestly, I don't think I'm meant to sit behind desk," Herbert said. "Not without a lot of Adderall."

Does that mean that he's supposed to be taking it as a prescription but is choosing not to, or is he basically admitting he'd be abusing prescription drugs? Seriously, that's one of the more stupid things he's said/done.

Dude, you are fricking nuts.