I’d guess because there’s more benefit to fellow Penn Stater Carter Starocci getting the National Team spot along with the automatic U23 World Team berth.

Besides training opportunities that likely gets subsidized for through his Club anyway - Dude lives in the Bay. Can’t imagine the stipend makes much of a financial dent. If I’m Carter, I venmo my homie $100 a month or whatever USAW is paying and pay that off with a trip to Spain in the fall for U23 worlds.

Joseph has a full-time job.  This was him doing one of his friend, former teammate, and protege a solid. 

Not that Joseph was the favorite or that I would have even favored or bet on him.  This is all around better for USAW and Father Cael.

If this were NCAA I would have called it a duck.  I can see why others would.

Joseph has a full-time job.  This was him doing one of his friend, former teammate, and protege a solid. 
Not that Joseph was the favorite or that I would have even favored or bet on him.  This is all around better for USAW and Father Cael.
If this were NCAA I would have called it a duck.  I can see why others would.

This.

It would cost Cenzo more to fly out to NYC and stay for a couple days than the stipend would pay him in a year.

If you listen to Baschamania, he thinks the world of Carter and I’m guessing he’ll be rooting for him at U23s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/9/2022 at 12:06 PM, dmm53 said:

Joseph wrestled the best that I've ever seen him in freestyle in the team trials tournament.  Hope he stays in the mix for a few years.  

He will; keep your ears perked up in the near future.

11 hours ago, Weems said:

isn't it like $1,000? 

I don’t know — I combed through some documents during the WTT and couldn’t find exact numbers. Where’d you get $1000 from?

I’d love to know how much each spot gets, and if it’s the same across styles.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Is there still the claim that he is going somewhere besides Stanford?

No.  It ended up being IMart.

IMar?  Imar?  IMart?  Imart?  That Illinois fellar who went back to Illinois.

29 minutes ago, maligned said:

Being on a national team, if stipulations are the same this cycle, also qualifies Starocci for an Olympic redshirt in 2023-24 no matter what happens between now and then.

Do they do it, let Barr wrestle as a true frosh and allow Starocci to grow in to 184 for his final two years?

5 hours ago, moodybooty said:

I don’t know — I combed through some documents during the WTT and couldn’t find exact numbers. Where’d you get $1000 from?

I’d love to know how much each spot gets, and if it’s the same across styles.

don't remember. I thought on the team = $12.5k/yr but from what people are posting it sounds like the alternates get peanuts

2 hours ago, Weems said:

don't remember. I thought on the team = $12.5k/yr but from what people are posting it sounds like the alternates get peanuts

I hope it’s that much. Not that $12.5k is full-time money, but that could reasonably pay for the extra living costs of a full-time athlete like food, equipment, coaching, healthcare.. the kinda help that could put someone over the fence about whether or not they should keep wrestling after college.

It’s an Olympic sport. No one does it to get rich, but there’s no harm in using your body and resources to the fullest while you still can.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Minnow now hinting (“just asking questions”) about Cenzo to ASU/Sunkist

Did Minnow close his eyes or put a blindfold on when he threw that proverbial dart?

I ask because one is slightly more accurate.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Did Minnow close his eyes or put a blindfold on when he threw that proverbial dart?

I ask because one is slightly more accurate.

To be fair, the original claim (although not even sure it came from Minnow) was that a "multi-time national champ was moving within the conference."  So seems possible Imar wasn't even who that claim was about.

17 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

To be fair, the original claim (although not even sure it came from Minnow) was that a "multi-time national champ was moving within the conference."  So seems possible Imar wasn't even who that claim was about.

Actually that is a fair point.  That said, imagine him training with the Valencias?  I could see it paying off on all fronts there.

Imar is not the one referenced. i talked about this several times on my show. Cenzo is leaving stanford. going to ASU. almost a done deal but not quite. not sure what the hold up is. they've been working on it for nearly a month.

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

Imar is not the one referenced. i talked about this several times on my show. Cenzo is leaving stanford. going to ASU. almost a done deal but not quite. not sure what the hold up is. they've been working on it for nearly a month.

If that happens it'll be great for all 3 Valencia brothers and Jacori. 

5 hours ago, TripNSweep said:

If that happens it'll be great for all 3 Valencia brothers and Jacori. 

Surprised by it, honestly.  Didn't think they were on fair terms with the PSU brass.