Jump to content

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Surprised by it, honestly.  Didn't think they were on fair terms with the PSU brass.

I always got the vibe Chenzo always went to the best of his own drum a little bit. I think he still probably has a good relationship with the PSU guys. But I wouldn’t be surprised if that kind of thing mattered way less to him than a hall or retherford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Imar is not the one referenced. i talked about this several times on my show. Cenzo is leaving stanford. going to ASU. almost a done deal but not quite. not sure what the hold up is. they've been working on it for nearly a month.

Why is he leaving Stanford?  Bad situation or is he leaving to compete and not coach - similar to Dake and Boroughs where they decided to continue competing rather than go the coaching route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2022 at 8:16 AM, Scorenomore said:

Why is he leaving Stanford?  Bad situation or is he leaving to compete and not coach - similar to Dake and Boroughs where they decided to continue competing rather than go the coaching route. 

And he's going to leave Shane behind.  I thought they were close?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, Scorenomore said:

Why is he leaving Stanford?  Bad situation or is he leaving to compete and not coach - similar to Dake and Boroughs where they decided to continue competing rather than go the coaching route. 

He wants to focus more on competing, and less on coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Mark Perry is building quite a strong room in Tempe. And no I'm not bitter that he left Illinois why do you ask.

I heard that it wasn’t a good fit and it was better for everyone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I heard that it wasn’t a good fit and it was better for everyone 

He ruffled some feathers by not recruiting exclusively IL kids. But he wanted to build a national power and that just didn't jive with IL parents, despite two of the most decorated alumni coming from out of state (and one has returned as a coach)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

He ruffled some feathers by not recruiting exclusively IL kids. But he wanted to build a national power and that just didn't jive with IL parents, despite two of the most decorated alumni coming from out of state (and one has returned as a coach)

I know. It wasn’t a diss. Certain coaches fit in better in different places 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

He ruffled some feathers by not recruiting exclusively IL kids. But he wanted to build a national power and that just didn't jive with IL parents, despite two of the most decorated alumni coming from out of state (and one has returned as a coach)

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2022 at 8:23 PM, jp157 said:

I know. It wasn’t a diss. Certain coaches fit in better in different places 

So this says that there are wrestling parents who have some kind of power over who the state college hires as coach and that those parents would rather be mediocre with local kids on the roster than be national medalists or champs with out-of-state kids on the roster.

I suppose that's possible, but I would think that most parents and fans want their teams to be national champs and wouldn't care if they had to recruit Iranians, Russians or Cubans to make it happen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NJDan said:

So this says that there are wrestling parents who have some kind of power over who the state college hires as coach and that those parents would rather be mediocre with local kids on the roster than be national medalists or champs with out-of-state kids on the roster.

I suppose that's possible, but I would think that most parents and fans want their teams to be national champs and wouldn't care if they had to recruit Iranians, Russians or Cubans to make it happen.

 

One, I actually don’t agree with his take. There was other things involved.. it just wasn’t and isn’t my place to say. I will tell you that (allegedly) multiple DI all Americans from multiple high schools were deliberately steered away from Illinois directly because of Perry. 

Second, the coaches not always fitting in has nothing to do with what you’re saying. I was actually pleasantly surprised and happy for Perry that he found a place he can stay.. instead becoming a “bouncing around coach” like Henson was.. which was a distinct possibility from everything I heard. 
 

And your jumping to the “parents” have that much influence is extremely telling. and so far from the mark. This isn’t the elementary club you helped out at that the parents torpedoed.
 

Additionally, the number one criticism of Illinois has been the same criticism of Ohio before Ryan, Penn State before Cael, Jersey/Rutgers before Goodell… they aren’t keeping their talent home. Especially talent from the most talented region. *
 

*On that note I think Ramos would have been a better hire to achieve that. but like I’ve said before, Poeta, and Heffernan before him are some of the very few DI coaches I haven’t heard anything negative about when having drinks with other college wrestlers.. which is much more rare than you’d think. So I’m hopeful things are going in right direction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2022 at 8:15 AM, jp157 said:

One, I actually don’t agree with his take. There was other things involved.. it just wasn’t and isn’t my place to say. I will tell you that (allegedly) multiple DI all Americans from multiple high schools were deliberately steered away from Illinois directly because of Perry. 

Second, the coaches not always fitting in has nothing to do with what you’re saying. I was actually pleasantly surprised and happy for Perry that he found a place he can stay.. instead becoming a “bouncing around coach” like Henson was.. which was a distinct possibility from everything I heard. 
 

And your jumping to the “parents” have that much influence is extremely telling. and so far from the mark. This isn’t the elementary club you helped out at that the parents torpedoed.
 

Additionally, the number one criticism of Illinois has been the same criticism of Ohio before Ryan, Penn State before Cael, Jersey/Rutgers before Goodell… they aren’t keeping their talent home. Especially talent from the most talented region. *
 

*On that note I think Ramos would have been a better hire to achieve that. but like I’ve said before, Poeta, and Heffernan before him are some of the very few DI coaches I haven’t heard anything negative about when having drinks with other college wrestlers.. which is much more rare than you’d think. So I’m hopeful things are going in right direction

Would love to know your secrets on this topic...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Would love to know your secrets on this topic...

Perry Jr just didn't meet expectations as an assistant coach, he is better suited for his talents where he is currently and is doing a good job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2022 at 6:15 PM, ionel said:

Perry Jr just didn't meet expectations as an assistant coach, he is better suited for his talents where he is currently and is doing a good job. 

Agreed; this is the assessment from a lot of folks who were close enough to the Illini program when Perry was around. My post on another thread about another coach could have just as easily been about Mark Perry in his time at UIUC, so it's interesting that he landed where he has. Good luck to him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2022 at 1:15 PM, ionel said:

Perry Jr just didn't meet expectations as an assistant coach, he is better suited for his talents where he is currently and is doing a good job. 

How did Perry fail to meet expectations as an assistant at Illinois?  IMar and Delgado were both his guys and the two best wrestlers to compete for that program in the last 10 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

How did Perry fail to meet expectations as an assistant at Illinois?  IMar and Delgado were both his guys and the two best wrestlers to compete for that program in the last 10 years.

Do you really need to know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ionel said:

Its not my assessment.

"I'm going to disagree and say I have reasons why, but I'm going to be vague and not share them."

It's the offseason and Perry has had success at each stop, most recently leading the Sunkist room featuring world champion Helen Maroulis where he is building a very strong program that is overall the second strongest in the country at worst (MFS, WFS, Greco and only WCAP has as many world team reps champs as long as Miracle is wins her wrestle-off). So c'mon and spill the tea because we don't have anything better to talk about for a while.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

"I'm going to disagree and say I have reasons why, but I'm going to be vague and not share them."

It's the offseason and Perry has had success at each stop, most recently leading the Sunkist room featuring world champion Helen Maroulis where he is building a very strong program that is overall the second strongest in the country at worst (MFS, WFS, Greco and only WCAP has as many world team reps champs as long as Miracle is wins her wrestle-off). So c'mon and spill the tea because we don't have anything better to talk about for a while.

Agreed.  I think this post should be directed at @jp157 who was the poster that stated top prospects were being steered away from Illinois because of Perry.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Agreed.  I think this post should be directed at @jp157 who was the poster that stated top prospects were being steered away from Illinois because of Perry.  

Ah yeah that's what I meant. I was multi-tasking on a budgets call I was tooootally paying attention to because it was such riveting material.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...