gobraves101905

IMar leaves Oregon State

On 6/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, bnwtwg said:

Poeta is doing a heck of a job with his staff and recruiting after taking over a program that quickly plummeted to the cellar. I hope Imar picked up a lot in his short time with Pendleton.

Agree with the first part but respectfully disagree that the program “quickly plummeted to the cellar” — 2018-19 dual record was 2-9 with a non-Covid version of a similar schedule to 21-22, I could give reasons/explanations/excuses why they have underperformed at times especially post-IMar but why bother.  Step one for Poeta is getting back into tier 2 by consistently beating Purdue, MSU, NW.  Next get back to the top of that second tier, to do that need to beat the Nebraskas, Minnesotas, Wisconsins of the world.  

Then if guys can stay at the highest levels they have reached during these wacky Covid years (easy to forget but in early 2021 Z and D Braunagel were nationally ranked #7 and #5 and Luffman was #5) and some of the recruits live up to the potential there is no reason the Illini can’t be in the mix with PSU, Iowa, and tOSU.  Everybody knows Byrd (3 years of eligibility left) but watch out for Danny Pucino as well.

The Braunagels are inconsistent at best. Luffman is way too short and out-leveraged consistently - low AA is his folkstyle ceiling. Cardani is undersized in the premier 125 meat grinder conference where if you place top 8 you’re basically expected to also AA. But Poeta continues to grind and move in the right direction. 

It will be interesting to see how Hunter, Ruth, Medlin, and now adding Imar back to the mix can drive results. Really hoping to see a turnaround in the making.

9 hours ago, George_W_Lush said:

Agree with the first part but respectfully disagree that the program “quickly plummeted to the cellar” — 2018-19 dual record was 2-9 with a non-Covid version of a similar schedule to 21-22, I could give reasons/explanations/excuses why they have underperformed at times especially post-IMar but why bother.  Step one for Poeta is getting back into tier 2 by consistently beating Purdue, MSU, NW.  Next get back to the top of that second tier, to do that need to beat the Nebraskas, Minnesotas, Wisconsins of the world.  

Then if guys can stay at the highest levels they have reached during these wacky Covid years (easy to forget but in early 2021 Z and D Braunagel were nationally ranked #7 and #5 and Luffman was #5) and some of the recruits live up to the potential there is no reason the Illini can’t be in the mix with PSU, Iowa, and tOSU.  Everybody knows Byrd (3 years of eligibility left) but watch out for Danny Pucino as well.

I think Nebraska level is their ceiling unless they get a new room

2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

The number I heard was 14 million.. has he actually gotten donors?

Don't know the exact #s and without being too specific, the last I heard they are in good shape.  

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Don't know the exact #s and without being too specific, the last I heard they are in good shape.  

I’m quite sure on the number. Same on specifics. That’s good to hear. I’m rooting for Poeta. Never heard anything bad about him even from other college wrestlers which is far more rare than people think 

nice pickup for Illinois.  it looks like they also have a few nice prospects in the pipeline - especially in the lighter weights:

Kannon Webster

Kole Browers

Bryce Griffin

Sammie Hayes (younger brother of former Virginia wrestler Louie)

Will Baysingar

Big loss, but its hard to keep talented senior level guys in a room outside of the big 10 and handful of other programs. He needs training partners. If you are raising $ for a staff, you need to fund 10 positions, not one. The bar for top level training situations is too high for one offs to be very successful.