Sign in to follow this  
TripNSweep

With the new rules is Cael's return possible?

The leg clinch is now history and so is the 2 of 3 periods thing. Does anyone think that Cael may try again now that the rules are similar to what they were when he won the Olympics? Under these rules he could play fantastic defense with a lead and doesn't even need to score 3+ points like he did in 2004. Now his ankle pick and single series off the collar tie is worth 2, not just 1.

I would have liked to see Cael at 211 this yer since Varner is taking a year off. NO cutting would have been great for him in order to get that world title. Could he beat JD? We know he dominated Pendleton two years ago very easily. Not sure about JD-I know they wrstled alot in 2011-wonder who won. My guess is Cael did. In 2011 I thought he wa better than all other except Sharipov. At 211 I think he could beat the new russian champ who is the favorite in 2013. Never will know. His career has a lot of what ifs from 01/02 missing for weird reasons, going in 03 04 then gne for 7 years and right in the mix. There is no doubt that if it was his goal to be the greatest freestyler he could have won in 01, 02, 04-12. With a bronze and silver mixed in there. Greatest freestyler-maybe not but our greatest ever but we will never know. This year would have been tough but doable at 211-he is past the prime now and would be very difficult to pull off now.